Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 12:52 PM

565 posts, read 561,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAX_ View Post
Yes. Not the whole garland is bad but the bad areas feel just like inner city ghettos
Incompetent city government/council allowed this to happen.

If you want an aging city to flourish you need good schools and strong code enforcement (Garland has neither).

If you want a perfect example of strong schools and code enforcement in an aging area look a few miles West of Garland in the 75080 area code of Richardson.

It's pretty much all 50s/60s houses yet it's flourishing because of strong code enforcement (sub renting is not allowed and houses must be kept up) and strong schools (JJ pearce and Richardson high are both top 5% highschools in the US).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 03:26 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,007,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
My fiance grew up in the Northern Garland (which is supposedly one of the nicer parts of Garland) and it was kinda dumpy.

Mostly rent houses with unkept yards and tons of sub renting (people who are living on the residence but aren't apart of the lease). Code enforcement is a joke in garland so they allow this to happen.

Schools are medicore, crime was fairly high, and the quality of residents was questionable (illegal room sharing and drug houses where common).

Garland isn't a total joke but there's not really any redeming qualities besides location and it being cheap.

All the nearby neighbhors are 5x nicer (lake highlands, richardson, plano, murphy, sashe.....ect)

That's how I feel about Garland. It's not really "dangerous" but just feels run-down; like a Super Walmart that's been around for 20 years and hasn't really been upgraded.

Old 12-05-2019, 05:14 PM

222 posts, read 282,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
That's how I feel about Garland. It's not really "dangerous" but just feels run-down; like a Super Walmart that's been around for 20 years and hasn't really been upgraded.
How do you feel about mesquite and balch springs

Old 12-06-2019, 07:45 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,007,293 times
Quote:
Haven't spent nearly enough time in either to have an opinion. My only impression of Mesquite is the area around Town East....hard to draw conclusions.

Garland reminds me of Oak Cliff in that it's huge and the "vibe" can differ considerably depending on where you are.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:58 AM

11,871 posts, read 26,928,733 times
Quote:
See my post earlier in the thread. I grew up in Mesquite and lived there until 1993. Parts of Mesquite (especially in the south and west) were bad before I left.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:41 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,454,304 times
Would Terrell be considered a suburb or is it more of an exurb? It’s growing very fast and lots of developments, commercial and residential.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Would Terrell be considered a suburb or is it more of an exurb? It’s growing very fast and lots of developments, commercial and residential.
I would say exburb. Too far from the major counties and it's almost a completely way of life in Terrell then say Plano, Dallas, Richardson, Garland, Allen....ect

Kaufman county is where is kinda gets iffy in my opinion and Terrell is a good 15 miles into Kaufman county

Old 12-06-2019, 07:40 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,454,304 times
Quote:
I would say exburb. Too far from the major counties and it's almost a completely way of life in Terrell then say Plano, Dallas, Richardson, Garland, Allen....ect

Kaufman county is where is kinda gets iffy in my opinion and Terrell is a good 15 miles into Kaufman county
What do you mean by iffy, as in high crime?

Old 12-06-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
What do you mean by iffy, as in high crime?
My original quote ("Kaufman county is where is kinda gets iffy in my opinion") is referring to location in relation to it being a suburb of Dallas

On most DFW metroplex maps the cutoff is Forney (meaning the map shows nothing to the East of Forney, Forney is the end of the map).

Basically the borderline of Kaufman county on most maps is the end of the metroplex. Since Terrell is 15 miles into Kaufman county I would easily say it's an exburb

Old 12-07-2019, 07:30 PM

3,853 posts, read 4,455,812 times
Quote:
My fiance grew up in the Northern Garland (which is supposedly one of the nicer parts of Garland) and it was kinda dumpy.

Mostly rent houses with unkept yards and tons of sub renting (people who are living on the residence but aren't apart of the lease). Code enforcement is a joke in garland so they allow this to happen.

Schools are medicore, crime was fairly high, and the quality of residents was questionable (illegal room sharing and drug houses where common).

Garland isn't a total joke but there's not really any redeming qualities besides location and it being cheap.

All the nearby neighbhors are 5x nicer (lake highlands, richardson, plano, murphy, sashe.....ect)
high crime? drug houses? in North Garland???
OK i'm calling BS on this.
My inlaws have owned their home in North Garland (near the intersection of centerville and firewheel parkway) for over 30 years. Not one breakin, no shootouts, and no, not a drug den to be seen. So safe that there have been times neighbors have left garage doors open accidentally and gone off, to return to their homes untouched. My inlaws have forgotten to lock their front doors, several times over the years. No issues. They use their garages for storage so park their cars on the street. Again, not one break in. This is not a isolated experience, I have several friends who are also long time residents of Garland who have similar stories.

I would concede that the APARTMENTS in Garland tend to be far worse than in other cities. Especially on the south side. Just as the single family homes are older, so are the apartment complexes, and that is reflected in the working class nature of the tenants so yes there you would be far more likely to run across more of the criminal enterprises you described.

As for the schools, Garland ISD didnt get the 'Indian invasion' which as we all know super charges the school performances, but by any metric Garland schools, especially on the North side are very solid. South Garland is the exception. Pretty bad by any measure. But to call it mediocre, I disagree.

Finally, to say that Garland has no redeeming qualities, and you think the likes of Richardson are 5 times nicer? That just tells me that you really havent been around Richardson much. You want to talk about high crime and drug houses, take a walk down Spring Valley in Richardson at night and tell us your thoughts.

On second thoughts, no dont do that. I dont want anyone's blood on my hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: