Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 07:39 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
Incompetent city government/council allowed this to happen.

If you want an aging city to flourish you need good schools and strong code enforcement (Garland has neither).

If you want a perfect example of strong schools and code enforcement in an aging area look a few miles West of Garland in the 75080 area code of Richardson.

It's pretty much all 50s/60s houses yet it's flourishing because of strong code enforcement (sub renting is not allowed and houses must be kept up) and strong schools (JJ pearce and Richardson high are both top 5% highschools in the US).
Dude knock it off.
I would be the first to say yes, Garland is not perfect. it's not even great. Its a solid, middle class older suburb, in the same boat as Carrollton, Irving, and yes, even your beloved Richardson. But to make it look like its some wasteland is crazy.

But you know what, I could take that from someone from say Highland Park or Southlake. But Richardson??? Richardson has its share of garbage too. Do we really want to do this? I can give you a rundown of all the crappy, dangerous parts of Richardson that your 'strong code enforcement' has done jack squat to improve. Parts of the city that you wouldnt want to be caught in, nevermind living in.

Frankly, the best, most affluent part of Richardson is probably the northeast corner in the 75082 zip code. Where ironically, they dont have Richardson ISD schools, and anyone living there would tell you they are more aligned with Murphy and Plano and have little or nothing to do with Richardson proper.

The sad thing about this thread is that I actually like Richardson, am in that city all the time and have nothing against it. But this looking down the nose attitude I'm seeing from some of your residents is hilarious to me. Richardson trying to be bougie??? That is so not your style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 11:16 AM

565 posts, read 558,983 times
I appreciate your intentions (defending against unwanted critisism) but unfortunately almost everything you posted was either not a valid point or just flat out wrong .

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
high crime? drug houses? in North Garland???
OK i'm calling BS on this.
My finance literally lives walking distance from North Garland highschool. Every third house on her street is either selling drugs or doing illegal sub renting. PM me your number and we can go for a ride some time and she can point out which houses are drug ones and which ones get frequent visits from the police

Quote:
Pretty bad by any measure. But to call it mediocre, I disagree.
Namman Forest and South Garland are the definition of medoicore. North Garland and regular Garland are at best average highschools for the area.

Yeah I would say the overall school district is pretty mediocore and bland, especially given the competition (that's not a bold statement)
Quote:

Finally, to say that Garland has no redeeming qualities
I"m literally the only person in this entire thread that has said redeeming qualities.

I said it had good price and good location (for most buyers is 2 of the most important things there looking for)........ lol at "you said it literally has no redeeming qualities

Quote:
you think the likes of Richardson are 5 times nicer? That just tells me that you really havent been around Richardson much. You want to talk about high crime and drug houses, take a walk down Spring Valley in Richardson at night and tell us your thoughts.

On second thoughts, no dont do that. I dont want anyone's blood on my hands.
LMAO for two reasons

75080: Heights, Waterview estates, Northrich, Canyon Creek, Praire Creek, Greenwood hills, The reservation, Cottonwood park

75081: Berkner Park, Duck Creek, Yale, Crowley, Sherrill Park, Terrance

There's literally not a single area that isn't desirable. Please point to a single bad neighbhorhood ? (I can point to 15 in Garland and you can't even name a single one in Richardson)

LOL at listing a crime triangle (Service road, Esparanza, and Spring Valley with Midpark running down the middle) that ISN"T even Richardson it's Dallas

Last edited by mastershake575; 12-08-2019 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Dude knock it off.
I would be the first to say yes, Garland is not perfect. it's not even great. Its a solid, middle class older suburb, in the same boat as Carrollton, Irving, and yes, even your beloved Richardson.
Literally everything in Richardson (land valuation, home valuation, location, crime, city services, schools) is one if not 2 tiers higher than Garland. LOL at putting Garland in the same sentence as Richardson, Mesquite would be more of a proper match

Quote:
DBut Richardson??? Richardson has its share of garbage too. Do we really want to do this? I can give you a rundown of all the crappy, dangerous parts of Richardson that your 'strong code enforcement' has done jack squat to improve. Parts of the city that you wouldnt want to be caught in, nevermind living in.
75080: Heights, Waterview estates, Northrich, Canyon Creek, Praire Creek, Greenwood hills, The reservation, Cottonwood park

75081: Berkner Park, Duck Creek, Yale, Crowley, Sherrill Park, Terrance

Please tell me which neighbhorhood is run down garbage and dangerous (your not going to be able to, your gonna list area's like Southbound Spring valley, southbound centinennal, Forest, and Walnut street which are all Dallas)

Quote:
The sad thing about this thread is that I actually like Richardson, am in that city all the time and have nothing against it. But this looking down the nose attitude I'm seeing from some of your residents is hilarious to me. Richardson trying to be bougie??? That is so not your style.
I love how calling a spade a spade (calling a city out for mediocore city service, poor zoning, and lack of code enforcement) instantly translates to a city vs city battle because you CANNOT deny the cities flaws/mistakes

Last edited by mastershake575; 12-08-2019 at 11:37 AM..

Old 12-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Whats funny is your little rant started because I quoted someone who said "not all of the city is bad but there's parts of it that feel run down" and I literally quoted him agreeing and explained why (schools aren't very desirable and code enforcement is way too lax). End result is cheap rent house, mediocore schools, and illegal sub renting....... (not a conspiracy, common sense).

I then compared it to a nearby zip code (75080) that has simliar aged houses but is a much nicer area since that's a fair comparison and it showed the difference schools, zoning, and code enforcement make in an aging suburb (once again, COMMON SENSE)

Literally nothing either one of us originally said is wrong yet you spun it into a "your a snotty suburb boy who doesn't know what he's talking about and shouldn't be talking since the city your comparing it too isn't much better"

Old 12-08-2019, 04:10 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Quote:
Whats funny is your little rant started because I quoted someone who said "not all of the city is bad but there's parts of it that feel run down" and I literally quoted him agreeing and explained why (schools aren't very desirable and code enforcement is way too lax). End result is cheap rent house, mediocore schools, and illegal sub renting....... (not a conspiracy, common sense).

I then compared it to a nearby zip code (75080) that has simliar aged houses but is a much nicer area since that's a fair comparison and it showed the difference schools, zoning, and code enforcement make in an aging suburb (once again, COMMON SENSE)

Literally nothing either one of us originally said is wrong yet you spun it into a "your a snotty suburb boy who doesn't know what he's talking about and shouldn't be talking since the city your comparing it too isn't much better"
Well then.
It would appear we are in opposing camps on this.
I found that Garland is a perfectly livable city that I personally would have been glad to buy a home in when we were house hunting back in 2012, but we either couldn't afford or got beat out on several homes so we moved to Wylie.
Your girlfriend on the other hand, appears to find living in Garland akin to being in Mexico in the middle of a cartel drug war.
Since we are so radically different in our opinions, this calls for a deep dive into the actual facts. I dont have time to do it right now, but I will and get back to you with the results, good, bad or ugly. Watch this space.

Old 12-08-2019, 04:58 PM

Your problem is you did NOT read any of the other post in this thread and your mentally processing everything as extremes and as a result your literally arguing/getting defense on points that are NOT being made

Quote:
Your girlfriend on the other hand, appears to find living in Garland akin to being in Mexico in the middle of a cartel drug war.

Perfect example right here

Nobody is comparing it to mexico. Drug houses and sub leasing does NOT MEAN selling ak47s/heroin and having sex houses/rings.

There's a huge difference between selling prespriction drugs/weed and doing semi-sketchy sub leasing then drug cartel mexico dealing women and heroin

Quote:
I found that Garland is a perfectly livable city
Literally nobody is saying it's not liveable. This is literally what the discussion was
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
That's how I feel about Garland. It's not really "dangerous" but just feels run-down; like a Super Walmart that's been around for 20 years and hasn't really been upgraded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAX_ View Post
Yes. Not the whole garland is bad but the bad areas feel just like inner city ghettos
Quote:
kinda dumpy.

Mostly rent houses with unkept yards and tons of sub renting (people who are living on the residence but aren't apart of the lease). Code enforcement is a joke in garland so they allow this to happen.

The originally discussion and points made are far from "radical"

Quote:
Well then.
I will and get back to you with the results, good, bad or ugly
Go find any Garland cop and ask them if lower tier drugs and sub leasing are the two major concerns for the City. There all going to immediately tell you "absolutely" (I know this because literally EVERY garland cop i use to box with said YES to that question).

Old 12-09-2019, 10:40 AM

56 posts, read 61,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Exactly.

Speaking as someone who grew up in Mesquite back when it was a nice, Baptist town with excellent schools and the rodeo, it has definitely changed. Yes, lots of people from Pleasant Grove moved to Mesquite when the crime in The Grove became too bad. Also, Mesquite built a lot of cheap apartments near Town East Mall in the 1980s, and they apparently have attracted crime, too. Pleasant Grove itself, and nearby Balch Springs, have been rough for decades.

But if one side of Dallas is worse than others, I would say it is the south side.
"A Baptist town with excellent schools and the rodeo" Nice code words and Baptist isn't exactly a denomination that is "clean."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: