Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 08:22 AM

56 posts, read 94,501 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

We visited Cedar Creek Lake (Mabank, Gun Barrel City, etc.) a few times with some friends who had a home there. We really liked it because, as most of us know, you can have a boat dock, actually boat on the lake, etc. We also liked that it's a reasonable drive from Dallas. And avoids trekking all the way down to the Texas beaches for a weekend vacation spot.

We do know that of course there are some downsides - in particular, these days it's not cheap to buy a place on the lake (prices seem to have driven way up in the past 10 years along with the metroplex), some of the neighborhoods are of questionable quality in terms of the homes, streets, etc. To me it seems that the prices are over-inflated, but maybe that's a more general comment about the market these days.

If anyone has experience in a specific neighborhood there or has a home there now, can you comment on your experience, the general pluses and minuses of life at the lake, etc? Really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 09:08 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
Hi all -

We visited Cedar Creek Lake (Mabank, Gun Barrel City, etc.) a few times with some friends who had a home there. We really liked it because, as most of us know, you can have a boat dock, actually boat on the lake, etc. We also liked that it's a reasonable drive from Dallas. And avoids trekking all the way down to the Texas beaches for a weekend vacation spot.

We do know that of course there are some downsides - in particular, these days it's not cheap to buy a place on the lake (prices seem to have driven way up in the past 10 years along with the metroplex), some of the neighborhoods are of questionable quality in terms of the homes, streets, etc. To me it seems that the prices are over-inflated, but maybe that's a more general comment about the market these days.

If anyone has experience in a specific neighborhood there or has a home there now, can you comment on your experience, the general pluses and minuses of life at the lake, etc? Really appreciate it!

We have a place on a different lake, actually at the lake now taking care of a plumbing issue.

Look into these things before pulling the trigger on a home.

1). Pay for a regular inspection, a termite/carpenter ant/pest inspection, a foundation inspection and probably have a plumber perform a static pressure test if possible (need functioning clean out).

2). Ask potential neighbors about water issues. Lots of lake lots remain sopping wet for days after any rain.

3). Learn all about FEMA flood maps.
A). Per lake there will be a minimum number of feet above sea level.........below which high risk flood insurance is required, above which regular flood insurance may or may not be required and another number above which floor insurance isn't required.

*Some insurance companies will not issue lake house policies without a flood insurance plan. Not to name drop but Travelers has been by far the easiest to deal with in my experience.

*FEMA flood maps are error filled. We had an error correct on a pervious lake home - it took two years for them to issue the correction.

4). Many lake homes are all electric or electric plus a propane - not a big deal just be prepared.

5). Per home find out what type of sanitary sewage is used.
*If it's city sewage great - but that's very unlikely.
*If it's an old school septic tank that works great. Just understand when an old school septic tank dies the state more or less mandates that the old style be replaced with an aerobic system. Aerobics are fairly expensive but work very well and come with a host of constraints. The key being they are rated for a max. amount of water/sewage per day. Exceed that amount and your system will falter. Most communities require that aerobics be serviced by a licensed company regularly.

Good luck!

Old 12-11-2019, 09:23 AM

This is very helpful - thanks so much!

Old 12-11-2019, 09:30 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
some of the neighborhoods are of questionable quality in terms of the homes, streets, etc.
Look at crime rates in the area before you buy anything. Cedar Creek Lake are has long been known for drug use/production issues.

https://www.cedarcreeklake.com/lake-...-2-fields/3880

https://newzgroup.com/TXLegals/2019/...02-17_1001.pdf

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ar...c52bbbfdf.html

Old 12-11-2019, 09:30 AM

Thanks Christie! will do.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:03 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Look at crime rates in the area before you buy anything. Cedar Creek Lake are has long been known for drug use/production issues.

https://www.cedarcreeklake.com/lake-...-2-fields/3880

https://newzgroup.com/TXLegals/2019/...02-17_1001.pdf

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ar...c52bbbfdf.html
Yeah, I think most of the issues are mostly QOL/ poverty-related crimes.

I know a guy who has a place down there and he is pretty redneck, but even he says there is a lot of meth and stuff down there.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:23 AM

Thanks! We got some of the same impression as we drove around. Our friends' home was on a very nice street, with well maintained (and expensive homes). Others were mostly mobile homes / dilapidated site-built homes. Trying to see if it's worth finding a balance.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:01 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
We have a place on a different lake, actually at the lake now taking care of a plumbing issue.

Look into these things before pulling the trigger on a home.

1). Pay for a regular inspection, a termite/carpenter ant/pest inspection, a foundation inspection and probably have a plumber perform a static pressure test if possible (need functioning clean out).

2). Ask potential neighbors about water issues. Lots of lake lots remain sopping wet for days after any rain.

3). Learn all about FEMA flood maps.
A). Per lake there will be a minimum number of feet above sea level.........below which high risk flood insurance is required, above which regular flood insurance may or may not be required and another number above which floor insurance isn't required.

*Some insurance companies will not issue lake house policies without a flood insurance plan. Not to name drop but Travelers has been by far the easiest to deal with in my experience.

*FEMA flood maps are error filled. We had an error correct on a pervious lake home - it took two years for them to issue the correction.

4). Many lake homes are all electric or electric plus a propane - not a big deal just be prepared.

5). Per home find out what type of sanitary sewage is used.
*If it's city sewage great - but that's very unlikely.
*If it's an old school septic tank that works great. Just understand when an old school septic tank dies the state more or less mandates that the old style be replaced with an aerobic system. Aerobics are fairly expensive but work very well and come with a host of constraints. The key being they are rated for a max. amount of water/sewage per day. Exceed that amount and your system will falter. Most communities require that aerobics be serviced by a licensed company regularly.

Good luck!
Some really good points in here.

Overall just make sure to check the normal stuff for buying a rural home and the specific concerns that come with that.

I would also plan on the place being more expensive to upkeep/ fix things than you think it will. Everyone I know who has a vacation home has told me this has turned out to be the case, upkeep is always more than you think it will be, do definitely over budget.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:36 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,373 times
I don't have any advice about that lake or a neighborhood but my mom and stepdad had a weekend lake house on Lake Quitman for about 15 or so years before they sold it and I've heard all sorts of stories from them about rural lake living. Their new place is in the same town but it's away from the lake and on some acreage.

Your shopping will be very, very limited compared to what you are used to up here. Expect to either drive somewhere to get most day to day goods, or haul it down with you from your house in DFW. They routinely bought things like furniture, appliances, and food at home and then packed it all up to take down there. The grocery store options will be very limited (probably a Brookshires or something similar) and my mom was always disappointed with the quality, so she started packing a cooler of food to bring with them. Restaurant options will also be severely lacking. Mom and pop type restaurants only seemed to last a few months before it went belly up and the next business came in. You'll probably have options like Sonic, Subway, McDonalds, etc.

Cell service can be spotty. They never had internet at either place so I can't speak to that. They do have DirecTV and I think it works pretty well. Healthcare options will be limited as well. The town might have a small standalone ER or urgent care center, but probably not much else unless you drive to a bigger city.

Also put some thought into how you'll secure the place when you're gone. My mom and stepdad have trail cameras all over their property but that won't alert them to anything happening right then. They've made friends with their neighbors as best they can in the hope that one of them will call if something happens. They also have a fence all around their property, the gate is locked, and anything outside that can be picked up or hauled off is chained to something.

Even though it's been a few years since I've been down there, a lot of smaller towns in East Texas are...rough. We had some interesting neighbors at the lake house and that's putting it mildly.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:15 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Some really good points in here.

Overall just make sure to check the normal stuff for buying a rural home and the specific concerns that come with that.

I would also plan on the place being more expensive to upkeep/ fix things than you think it will. Everyone I know who has a vacation home has told me this has turned out to be the case, upkeep is always more than you think it will be, do definitely over budget.
Agreed on the upkeep angle. Another factor is, and not to come off as anti-rural but the quality and quantity of plumbers, electricians etc. can be a problem. Around our lake place there is one very well thought of electrician.....he's booked out for weeks all the time. There are two excellent plumbers emergencies excepted they are booked well out as too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas