Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 06:31 AM

788 posts, read 1,224,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Is anyone here grocery shopping in another county so they don't have to wear a bandana or ball gag over their month cause Dallas County decided to be over reactive? Essentially its cover your mouth with something that isn't proven to actually work, but you don't have to wear gloves and change them any time you touch something. So other than people thinking they are safer, what is the actual point? I live in north Dallas area, so I will just go to Collin County where a few less people will look at me as crazy cause I don't wear a pointless mask over my mouth.
I did the same thing! No one looked at me weird & in fact, many others shopping did NOT have anything on, despite what the fear-mongering, bored people on this forum might lead you to believe.

When I heard Clay Jenkins was doing that, I thought alright, I’m driving to Collin County to do my shopping where the leadership seems to have ADULTS in leadership that believe in personal accountability and liberty.

So sad how Dallas’ radically liberal judge is using this as a political platform to try and enforce a nanny state & can’t accept they over-reached. I’m not wearing a mask like I’m in some 3rd world country, sorry. Thankfully, Abbott’s order supersedes local orders.

I was in Colleyville the other day for the lines they had at their restaurants and I loved that the folks were standing close together with no masks - great indictment on the government overreach by the Colleyville mayor. Look forward to others openings for those that want the option.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:45 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I consider the Phase One re-opening to be meaningless. It won't get the economy going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I honestly think he was throwing a bone to the far right wing dogs barking. Reality is that 25% capacity means it’s cheaper to just stay closed (or takeout only, for restaurants) for a few more weeks. Not even counting the businesses that don’t feel safe opening right now and want someone else to test the waters.

I do agree with his slow & measured approach to reopening. Hope everyone doesn’t go out and go crazy May 1 so we *can* add some more on May 18th, and some more on June 1, and so forth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
If people are suffering economically and cat pay their bills, what do you expect them to do?
This Phase One re-opening will have zero impact on the white collar workers who were laid off from late February - now. This re-opening also won't do much for the service sector workers who haven't worked since mid-March when everything got shut down. Weak companies were laying off in February at the first sign of the stock market's downturn in late February and in the first 2 weeks of March. In that time, the unemployment rate moved from 3.5% to 4.4%, which would have been sizable in any other time in history. What happened starting in the Week of March 15 totally overshadowed the previous weeks.

Line cooks, bartenders, and servers will be re-employed before marketing and finance professionals. Most of the service sector was temporarily furloughed. Even if they were not furloughed, it is so easy to get a service sector job. White collar workers have to find new organizations. White collar interview processes are longer and more arduous.

On the consumer side of things, I have no plans to go to a sit down restaurant during the May 1-May 17 time period. I rarely go to movie theaters when pandemics are not occurring, so I won't be going to a movie theater during Phase One. I have no plans to go to the mall during that time.

As a fitness enthusiast, I'm looking forward to the re-opening gyms. I've not really figured out how I'll behave when gyms re-open. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. There is a lot of home workout video content out there. I'll be able to exercise until then. In Phase One, tennis is allowed. I have no plans to play tennis.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:18 AM

516 posts, read 451,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
I did the same thing! No one looked at me weird & in fact, many others shopping did NOT have anything on, despite what the fear-mongering, bored people on this forum might lead you to believe.

When I heard Clay Jenkins was doing that, I thought alright, I’m driving to Collin County to do my shopping where the leadership seems to have ADULTS in leadership that believe in personal accountability and liberty.

So sad how Dallas’ radically liberal judge is using this as a political platform to try and enforce a nanny state & can’t accept they over-reached. I’m not wearing a mask like I’m in some 3rd world country, sorry. Thankfully, Abbott’s order supersedes local orders.

I was in Colleyville the other day for the lines they had at their restaurants and I loved that the folks were standing close together with no masks - great indictment on the government overreach by the Colleyville mayor. Look forward to others openings for those that want the option.
How are the shelter-in-place orders and mask orders a liberal agenda when our Republican governor had placed a statewide shelter-in-place and closed all schools? Don't forget that nationwide, governors on both sides of the political spectrum have been utilizing shelter-in-place and mask orders. Yes, Dallas County has the most strict guidelines in the metroplex, but they also have the highest number of deaths and cases in the metroplex. I'm sick of the political partisanship and the pointing fingers when I see people from different political backgrounds trying to achieve the same goal which is protect their residents. Whether you disagree or agree with a county's actions doesn't make it a liberal/conservative issue because I see both liberal and conservatives alike wearing and not wearing masks.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:32 AM

236 posts, read 155,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
This Phase One re-opening will have zero impact on the white collar workers who were laid off from late February - now. This re-opening also won't do much for the service sector workers who haven't worked since mid-March when everything got shut down. Weak companies were laying off in February at the first sign of the stock market's downturn in late February and in the first 2 weeks of March. In that time, the unemployment rate moved from 3.5% to 4.4%, which would have been sizable in any other time in history. What happened starting in the Week of March 15 totally overshadowed the previous weeks.

Line cooks, bartenders, and servers will be re-employed before marketing and finance professionals. Most of the service sector was temporarily furloughed. Even if they were not furloughed, it is so easy to get a service sector job. White collar workers have to find new organizations. White collar interview processes are longer and more arduous.

On the consumer side of things, I have no plans to go to a sit down restaurant during the May 1-May 17 time period. I rarely go to movie theaters when pandemics are not occurring, so I won't be going to a movie theater during Phase One. I have no plans to go to the mall during that time.

As a fitness enthusiast, I'm looking forward to the re-opening gyms. I've not really figured out how I'll behave when gyms re-open. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. There is a lot of home workout video content out there. I'll be able to exercise until then. In Phase One, tennis is allowed. I have no plans to play tennis.
Really good post. What also shouldn't go with our mentioning is I know a ton of white collar workers who have part of their income based on commission or on bonuses that have to do with revenue. They have also and will be impacted for the next 12-24 months and many of those furloughed simply will not have positions when they go back due to the decrease in revenue and jobs they would compete for won't be there because that competing company doesn't hav the revenue to hire them.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:43 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
I was in Colleyville the other day for the lines they had at their restaurants and I loved that the folks were standing close together with no masks - great indictment...

LOL

It's an indictment alright... for their lack of common sense.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:44 AM

516 posts, read 451,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRockwell View Post
Really good post. What also shouldn't go with our mentioning is I know a ton of white collar workers who have part of their income based on commission or on bonuses that have to do with revenue. They have also and will be impacted for the next 12-24 months and many of those furloughed simply will not have positions when they go back due to the decrease in revenue and jobs they would compete for won't be there because that competing company doesn't hav the revenue to hire them.
Yes, unfortunately, the effects of this pandemic will last for a while. There will be a false normalcy once everything opens back up because there will still be a lot of people without jobs. I have a friend that works in hospice essentially doing sales. Their company has laid off a lot of people (they are about to be one of them) because nursing homes and hospitals won't allow them to visit to sell their services to the family members and patients. I can see these strict guidelines for healthcare facilities lasting a while, so the hospice industry is going to have to change their selling model. Also, the longer people are staying home (even by choice) the less money is spent at local establishments. Cities that rely on sales tax revenue for their income will have to cut budgets for next year. This will decrease the number of infrastructure projects being handed out. The A/E/C industry will be affected. The longer people are without jobs, the less likely they may attend higher education institutions or take a small class load. This will affect college budgets. People are going to be more cautious this year traveling, so the airlines and hospitality industry will continue to hurt.

Unfortunately, we are in for a slow recovery (as in we won't be back to where we were pre-pandemic in a couple of months).

Old 04-28-2020, 08:08 AM

227 posts, read 223,340 times
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/28/ques...ody-tests.html

Hopefully soon we would be able to test ourselves and find out . Wondering why there has been such a delay in testing when we were promised in February end that we would all be getting tested whenever we need

Old 04-28-2020, 08:34 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,445,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanz7887 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/28/ques...ody-tests.html

Hopefully soon we would be able to test ourselves and find out . Wondering why there has been such a delay in testing when we were promised in February end that we would all be getting tested whenever we need
Tests, hand sanitizers and until recently, masks. There are still shortages of all three, and we are several months into this pandemic. This has been an eye opener into just how unprepared we are. None of those items are what I would consider complex engineering that are difficult to produce, and yet we are left to either beg or strong arm supplies from around the world instead. I kept reading about the private sector stepping in to fill the breach. I dont think it has worked at all.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:49 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Well, a couple of posts here show that there are still, in the 21st century, people who reject the idea of the germ transmission of disease.

It's remarkable how people can refuse to accept the established science when it causes them some inconvenience, even if the potential effect for others is DEATH.

And to actually applaud such misbehavior! You know what happened to Typhoid Mary? You know what happened to people in DP camps after WW2 who refused to use the latrines? You know what happened to people who violated quarantine orders for measles back in the day when county health officers had power, and would put a "QUARANTINE" placard on your door?

As far as I'm concerned arrests need to be made for violators of public health orders.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:54 AM

578 posts, read 479,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I honestly think he was throwing a bone to the far right wing dogs barking. Reality is that 25% capacity means it’s cheaper to just stay closed (or takeout only, for restaurants) for a few more weeks. Not even counting the businesses that don’t feel safe opening right now and want someone else to test the waters.
As a governor of deep red state and a far-right die-hard Trump fan,
Andrew Cuomo just announced New York State will start to reopen on May 15.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/26/n...reopening.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas