Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 03:59 PM

307 posts, read 477,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not bias. Actual documented research showing Evangelical Christians are the most the most resistant to mask wearing:

The one area where white evangelicals fall far behind? Mask wearing. A white evangelical under the age of 35 is 13 percentage points less likely to wear a mask in public than the same age group in the general population (58.7% vs. 71.8%)
Source: https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...ing-masks.html
You’ve got quite a chain of causation there.

What % of Dallas County residents are evangelical Christians? What % of total Dallas County coronavirus cases are essential workers? What % of evangelical Christians transmitted covid to said essential workers?

How do you definitively tie just the evangelical Christians, 13% less likely to wear a mask, to the covid problem in Dallas County?

Essentially, whats your basis for this statement:

“But it seems to be a loud contingency of conspiracy-theory believing, science denying, selfish Evangelical Christians that have gotten us all up a **** creek with Covid.”

?

Old 07-22-2020, 04:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
You’ve got quite a chain of causation there.

What % of Dallas County residents are evangelical Christians? What % of total Dallas County coronavirus cases are essential workers? What % of evangelical Christians transmitted covid to said essential workers?

How do you definitively tie just the evangelical Christians, 13% less likely to wear a mask, to the covid problem in Dallas County?

Essentially, whats your basis for this statement:

“But it seems to be a loud contingency of conspiracy-theory believing, science denying, selfish Evangelical Christians that have gotten us all up a **** creek with Covid.”

?
None of my comments were specifically about Dallas County. You brought Dallas County into this. All I said was I understand why Paxton is allowing religious schools to do what they want but I am sick and tired of the many, many, many people I encounter in my daily life (at our business, in public, and on my Facebook feed) who are literally brainwashed by anti-science politics so obviously covid is a Democrat hoax, a giant coverup to prevent the media from investigating Q-Anon backed conspiracy theories, a shakedown by the medical / pharma industry, an event ushering in the second coming of Christ, etc. And for all those reasons, they won’t wear a mask to be pawns in this game. Because they’re “covered in Jesus’ blood” and “you can’t tell me what to do, I have Freedom”.

I would literally post screenshots but I don’t want to publicly shame individuals. If you have been watching Fox News or reading our President’s Twitter feed for the last six months, you’ve got the gist of it.

I.AM.SICK.OF.THE.IGNORANCE. It’s literally killing people.

I specifically said NOT ALL Evangelicals (our church is Evangelical by theological definition but not political definition) but you have to be living under a rock to not see that basic face mask wearing / pandemic spread prevention has been widely rejected by Evangelicals who make up the Trump base. We’ll see if they wear their damn masks now that dear leader says it’s “patriotic” to do so....

Old 07-22-2020, 05:01 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
I specifically said NOT ALL Evangelicals (our church is Evangelical by theological definition but not political definition) but you have to be living under a rock to not see that basic face mask wearing / pandemic spread prevention has been widely rejected by Evangelicals who make up the Trump base. We’ll see if they wear their damn masks now that dear leader says it’s “patriotic” to do so....

I wouldn't hold your breath for that.

I have seen a HUGE decline in the number of people speaking out about wearing a mask now. From my own experience on a variety of message boards and FB pages around the DFW area, they were typically about 15-20% of posters. Now the only ones still ranting and raving about it are about 2%. The rest are still eating crow.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:09 PM

307 posts, read 477,057 times
Quote:
None of my comments were specifically about Dallas County. You brought Dallas County into this. All I said was I understand why Paxton is allowing religious schools to do what they want but I am sick and tired of the many, many, many people I encounter in my daily life (at our business, in public, and on my Facebook feed) who are literally brainwashed by anti-science politics so obviously covid is a Democrat hoax, a giant coverup to prevent the media from investigating Q-Anon backed conspiracy theories, a shakedown by the medical / pharma industry, an event ushering in the second coming of Christ, etc. And for all those reasons, they won’t wear a mask to be pawns in this game. Because they’re “covered in Jesus’ blood” and “you can’t tell me what to do, I have Freedom”.

I would literally post screenshots but I don’t want to publicly shame individuals. If you have been watching Fox News or reading our President’s Twitter feed for the last six months, you’ve got the gist of it.

I.AM.SICK.OF.THE.IGNORANCE. It’s literally killing people.

I don’t deny that there are plenty of dumbass anti-maskers out there. Sure.

What I’m questioning is the causal relationship between being an evangelical Christian, and the covid mess. Your statement was that these people specifically have gotten us in this mess.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:19 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Texas Dept of Health reports 197 deaths today. If Texas hits 200 this week, it will be the first state to hit it in the summer. California, Florida, and Arizona are reporting 100-150 deaths/day.

Texas Dept of Health Coronavirus Dashboard: https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...01e8b9cafc8b83

Last edited by move4ward; 07-22-2020 at 05:27 PM..

Old 07-22-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
I don’t deny that there are plenty of dumbass anti-maskers out there. Sure.

What I’m questioning is the causal relationship between being an evangelical Christian, and the covid mess. Your statement was that these people specifically have gotten us in this mess.
Donald Trump got us into this mess. His base - who overwhelmingly identify as Evangelical Christians - are perpetuating this mess by willfully ignoring it or denying it, or willing to sacrifice their own lives for the economy (see Dan Patrick). Again, not all evangelicals but the large percent of those who believe evangelicals are intricately linked to a specific political party.

You can peruse Plano’s Prestonwood Baptist senior pastor Graham’s Twitter feed for a local example of what I’m talking about - just in the last 7 days, he had posted or re-tweeted supporting Goya and one called “Dear Face Mask Shamers,...” that goes on to argue that masks don’t help.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:58 PM

On the bright side for DFW, it does seem like we might be finally at the point where the mask order is working with two consecutive days of dramatically lower cases and the positive rate back down to 15%.

The deaths will probably continue to be elevated for another 2-3 weeks until we’re 20+ days past the 1000+ count days and past the average time from diagnosis to death.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:46 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Donald Trump got us into this mess. His base - who overwhelmingly identify as Evangelical Christians - are perpetuating this mess by willfully ignoring it or denying it, or willing to sacrifice their own lives for the economy (see Dan Patrick). Again, not all evangelicals but the large percent of those who believe evangelicals are intricately linked to a specific political party.

You can peruse Plano’s Prestonwood Baptist senior pastor Graham’s Twitter feed for a local example of what I’m talking about - just in the last 7 days, he had posted or re-tweeted supporting Goya and one called “Dear Face Mask Shamers,...” that goes on to argue that masks don’t help.
Orange man bad, right?

Your last few posts consistently bash Republicans, bash Trump voters, bash evangelical Christians, and over generalize the situation. I am sorry that your family business is suffering; however, this is not 100% Trump's fault. This is not 100% anybody's fault. I don't believe Hillary would have done better. She would have done some things differently, but we will never know how it would have been better or worse.

Also Goya has nothing to do with this topic.

And none of this is supposed to be in this thread, but here we are.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:17 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
This is interesting to think about in light of the recent Montana religious school case at the US Supreme Court (which I disagreed with). Paxton's action treats religious school gatherings as inherently religious acts, whereas the court decision would seem to imply that religious school gatherings are essentially school gatherings by religious people. Also, Paxton's move is really just the opposite of what the US Supreme Court case mandated -- the SC ruled that the state must treat religious private school students and non-religious private school students the same, so a ruling that specifically grants an exemption to religious private schools that isn't granted to non-religious private schools would seem to open the state up to a lawsuit from non-religious private schools.
I looked it up and asked my wife, she's not a lawyer but she has a JD, the long and short.........the Montana case is specific to Montana and specific verbiage in its constitution. Ergo it does not apply to Texas.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Orange man bad, right?

Your last few posts consistently bash Republicans, bash Trump voters, bash evangelical Christians, and over generalize the situation. I am sorry that your family business is suffering; however, this is not 100% Trump's fault. This is not 100% anybody's fault. I don't believe Hillary would have done better. She would have done some things differently, but we will never know how it would have been better or worse.

Also Goya has nothing to do with this topic.

And none of this is supposed to be in this thread, but here we are.
I know you voted for him and you probably will again. This isn’t about my business. At all. What none of you know on here is that I literally have voted almost straight ticket Republican for the last 20 years until 2016. I wasn’t a Hillary fan but I punched my ballot for her and I am 110% confident she would have done 1,000,000 times better handling this than Trump. Literally any other person who primaried for either party in 2016 would have done better than Trump.

I literally cannot imagine any other modern US President saying & doing any of these things:
“It’s going to disappear - like a miracle.” (when no one in the CDC or scientific community believed that)
“Anyone can get a test” (said back in March, still not true in July)
“Churches will be packed on Easter” (delusional...)
“Vaccine will be here soon, maybe by September” (not happening. Maybe by September 2021)
“Nobody thought this could happen” (yes, his own administration tried to warn him in 2019 and the scientific community has know the big one was coming for year now)
“Numbers are going down” (when they were going up in May)
“It’s under control” (day after the US hit 50k cases in July)
“99% of cases are harmless” (so....we’re fine letting 3-4 million Americans die from covid if there was a 100% infection rate??? Nevermind the fact that somewhere between 5-15% of cases require hospitalization and significant numbers are reporting ongoing health issues weeks and months after testing
“Children don’t transmit coronavirus” (literally said this TODAY even though it’s false)

- Recklessly holds a public arena-style campaign rally in Tulsa where he does not wear a mask nor are they required (leads to outbreak of covid in Tulsa)
- Winds down Coronavirus task force while the pandemic is picking up steam
- Blocks the top science experts from participating in press conferences or tv interviews
- Promotes a drug as treatment plan that had not been thoroughly reviewed by the medical community (and later proved to worsen outcomes)
- Pulled reporting from the CDC over to Homeland Security

I cannot imagine any other US President calling it the “Chinese Virus”, “a (opposite political party) hoax”, or any other of the negligent Twitter vomit he’s typed.

He said it when he ran for President, “I alone can fix this” and it’s that outsized ego and unwillingness to listen and learn to anyone not named Donald Trump that has completely and totally made the US a 3rd world country in terms of fighting this Pandemic.

And locally in Texas, Gov. Abbott totally screwed us over by ignoring the CDC’s recommendations when coming out of quarantine, but at least it only took him 6 weeks to realize we were moving far too fast and to take action to start to turn the Texas trends around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas