Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2020, 06:09 AM

236 posts, read 154,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
What would be the number of deaths that would concern you?
If this were killing 10-15% of people it infected that would concern me. Currently 99.5 to 99.9% of people who get Covid recover in the DFW area (trying to keep the topic on point as the moderator asked). Dallas County has 2.6 million people. If 200,000 to 300,000 people were dead or died then that would concern me. If even 10,000 people died that would not concern me.

At the end of the day I don't live my life scared of my own shadow when 99.5%+ of people recover.

What does concern me is the long term life effects of what this has done with marriages, employment, finances, the economy, etc.

At the end of the day you people get to be concerned over any number that you want and can overreact to this all you want. I don't get to be your barometer. This is now 222 pages of overreaction and pandemonium.

Hey at the end of they day when savings are exhausted, homes are foreclosed on, lives are ruined, debt is through the roof, and masses and masses of people are unemployed at least they didn't get something that 995-997 out of 1000 people recover from.

Last edited by CHRockwell; 07-17-2020 at 06:32 AM..

Old 07-17-2020, 07:41 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRockwell View Post
If this were killing 10-15% of people it infected that would concern me. Currently 99.5 to 99.9% of people who get Covid recover in the DFW area (trying to keep the topic on point as the moderator asked). Dallas County has 2.6 million people. If 200,000 to 300,000 people were dead or died then that would concern me. If even 10,000 people died that would not concern me.

At the end of the day I don't live my life scared of my own shadow when 99.5%+ of people recover.

What does concern me is the long term life effects of what this has done with marriages, employment, finances, the economy, etc.

At the end of the day you people get to be concerned over any number that you want and can overreact to this all you want. I don't get to be your barometer. This is now 222 pages of overreaction and pandemonium.

Hey at the end of they day when savings are exhausted, homes are foreclosed on, lives are ruined, debt is through the roof, and masses and masses of people are unemployed at least they didn't get something that 995-997 out of 1000 people recover from.
You are making the assumption that you and others you care about would automatically be excluded from that 10,000 number you are okay with.

You are free to consider it an overreaction. The simple fact of the matter is health is a CRUCIAL factor for a healthy economy. There will be no business as usual as long as a critical mass of people are sick and/or dying. Whether they are sick/ dying from the flu, allergies, hunger, accidents, acts if war, or for no reason at all is completely irrelevant. If its an illness, how sick they can get is extremely relevant. I dont think anyone would be shutting anything down if the worst thing that could happen with this virus is 3/4 days of stay-in-bed, drink fluids sick time. But if hundreds of thousands still needed to stay at home sick for 3-4 days in the same period there would be an effect on the economy even then.

As long as this continues there will be no recovery. For the economy to recover, the population has to first. For that to happen, things have to temporarily change - or a vaccine has to be available so the critical number of people sick at the same time is significantly lower. Nothing short of that.

All the “bravery” in the world wont fix this situation. The hard work of vaccine research will. In the meantime temporary measures to keep it from getting out of hand is all that’s available. Until that hard work is done business as usual will simply not happen. And any attempts at that will be futile.

Many lessons have been learned by the business community during this time and this forced experiment will likely drive new innovation and long overdue changes in certain industries and government. And while some industries are struggling, others are thriving as their products and services have risen in demand. Its not all gloom and doom for everyone if the latest quarterly releases in the last week are anything to go by.

As for debt, People tend to stop borrowing and spending when the economy trends downward. Increasing unemployment and the resulting familial strife is always a concern but is an inevitable side effect of most situations that have an effect on the economy.

Unfortunately the ways to control and end this (Vaccines, Distancing, masks) are the very things that people have politicized and many are now fighting against. So here we are 7 months later and still peaking in Texas. Third world countries have contained this virus better than we have.

Last edited by BLDSoon; 07-17-2020 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Other

Old 07-17-2020, 07:57 AM

451 posts, read 319,980 times
Here are the bed and ventilator capacity statistics for today as reported by 25 hospitals in the City of Dallas:

Total beds: 5962
Beds occupied: 4208 (71%)
Total ICU beds: 870 (----> Not clear why this number reduced from 914, a day before)
ICU beds occupied: 645 (74%)
Total ventilators: 961
Ventilators in use: 406 (42%)

New Deaths yesterday in Dallas county: 16 (Total to date: 501)
New Deaths yesterday in DFW: 24 (Total to date: 932) ---> Includes Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, Collin, Ellis, Rockwall and Kaufman counties

For Detailed hospitalization and death data monitoring for Dallas county - https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/...ation-Data.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
Here are the bed and ventilator capacity statistics for today as reported by 25 hospitals in the City of Dallas:

Total beds: 5885
Beds occupied: 4130 (70%)
Total ICU beds: 914
ICU beds occupied: 630 (69%)
Total ventilators: 965
Ventilators in use: 394 (41%)

New Deaths yesterday in Dallas county: 8 (Total to date: 485)

Last edited by CDContribuitor; 07-17-2020 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-17-2020, 08:07 AM

932 posts, read 543,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRockwell View Post

Its currently very less as the healthcare system isn't overloaded yet.
If the restrictions are removed, the percentage would be much higher.

Also a certain percentage of people who had severe symptoms and recovered had some kind of permanent damage.

Last edited by crazyforger; 07-17-2020 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-17-2020, 08:11 AM

305 posts, read 476,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post

Total beds: 5962
Beds occupied: 4208 (71%)
Total ICU beds: 870 (----> Not clear why this number reduced from 914, a day before)
ICU beds occupied: 645 (74%)
Total ventilators: 961
Ventilators in use: 406 (42%)

New Deaths yesterday in Dallas county: 16 (Total to date: 501)
New Deaths yesterday in DFW: 24 (Total to date: 932) ---> Includes Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, Collin, Ellis, Rockwall and Kaufman counties
Interesting that Dallas County has 55% of the DFW deaths, while only having 38% of the population.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:22 AM

516 posts, read 450,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
Interesting that Dallas County has 55% of the DFW deaths, while only having 38% of the population.
I assume it's because Dallas County is the most densely populated compared to the other counties.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:30 AM

305 posts, read 476,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
I assume it's because Dallas County is the most densely populated compared to the other counties.
Certainly it is, however Dallas County has also had the most Covid-inspired restrictions. There are a lot of confounding factors. Population density is certainly the most direct factor I've seen.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:45 AM

451 posts, read 319,980 times
Zip codes 75211, 75217, 75227, 75228 and 75216 are the most affected within Dallas county.

Quote:
Certainly it is, however Dallas County has also had the most Covid-inspired restrictions. There are a lot of confounding factors. Population density is certainly the most direct factor I've seen.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:09 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,115,616 times
Quote:
This difference is perplexing. How many remote employees are working in the other counties? Is the uptown party crowd infecting the workers and surrounding communities? Contact tracing should provide the answers. I haven't heard much about sources of infection.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:22 AM

516 posts, read 450,330 times
I know that one of the hardest-hit zip codes in Dallas County is south of 30 in a poor area. I wonder if areas where the community is primarily made up of "essential" workers. People who work in grocery stores, construction, and restaurants are directly affected and may live in lower-income areas that are hard hit.

Also, I believe the zip code I mentioned has a large immigrant population who doesn't know English. They may not be watching the news since it's in English. I know that Dallas has been sending out community representatives to educate residents of COVID-19.

Lastly, the 20-30's population is the age group that has been seeing an increase in cases whereas, the older age groups have seen a drop. So, it's also possible the Uptown crowd is contributing to the high number of cases in Dallas County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas