Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 04:43 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times

Advertisements

Abbot bans elective surgeries in 100+ counties. You can travel to a surrounding county, if you need the surgery. Those counties may have a huge backlog.

This is insane. Many people may die from delayed organ transplants and cancer treatment. Why can't the military or national guard set up field hospitals like they did in NYC?

Texas bans elective surgeries in more than 100 counties as coronavirus hospitalizations keep climbing - https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07...ive-surgeries/

Old 07-09-2020, 05:39 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post

This is insane. Many people may die from delayed organ transplants and cancer treatment. Why can't the military or national guard set up field hospitals like they did in NYC?

Do we want to do organ transplants and cancer treatments in field hospitals, though?

I wouldn't think, however, that those are being done in such huge numbers that they can't be accommodated.

And I also don't see why patient load-sharing isn't being done between counties.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:08 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Do we want to do organ transplants and cancer treatments in field hospitals, though?

I wouldn't think, however, that those are being done in such huge numbers that they can't be accommodated.

And I also don't see why patient load-sharing isn't being done between counties.
The field hospitals would treat the COVID patients only. Cancer and organ transplants shouldn't be left for dead in the rest of Texas.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:45 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
We aren't using ultrasonic scalers or air polishers at this time. That was in the 120 day mandate from Gov Abbott in May. In cases of periodontal cleanings they can be used but we aren't using them at all right now. We are referring any new perio cases (known typically as a "scaling and root planing," or anecdotally as a "deep cleaning"). This is making the day boring but safer. We are also using a pre procedural rinse of hydrogen peroxide and water, and using high volume evacuation through the whole procedure. Our DDS used a rubber dam most of the time before Covid because she is a great dentist, but now she is using them on basically every procedure to reduce aerosols. We are all wearing Level 3 or above masks, face shields, all PPE. If you think you are worried about going in to your appt, how do you think we dental professionals feel coming up close and personal with the saliva/aerosols of 8+ people per day? You should do what you are comfortable with, but this is the new normal. There are ramifications to putting off treatment. Dental cleanings are not emergencies, but they are essential.
Thanks, that's good info.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:28 PM

451 posts, read 320,533 times
2sleepy, where are you located? You seem to be posting on Coronavirus threads here in DFW and also in Phoenix. Are you in Dallas or in Phoenix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Thanks, that's good info.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
2sleepy, where are you located? You seem to be posting on Coronavirus threads here in DFW and also in Phoenix. Are you in Dallas or in Phoenix?
Let me ask you a few questions:

1_Are you a moderator?
2_ Are posts on regional forums restricted to residents of those areas?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-09-2020, 08:15 PM

I believe in city-data forums, people like to know the location of the poster so that we understand where your perspective is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Let me ask you a few questions:

1_Are you a moderator?
2_ Are posts on regional forums restricted to residents of those areas?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-09-2020, 09:20 PM

565 posts, read 558,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
No offense taken.

For City of Dallas, there were 300 beds added (5% increase) and 100 ICU beds (10% increase) from the April numbers. (This is assuming the numbers being reported by the Mayor are accurate.)

Please read this NPR article from May 8th and provide your perspective. I would like to hear more than "So what?".

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/n...ers-lose-jobs/
"As Hospitals Lose Revenue, More Than A Million Health Care Workers Lose Jobs
Faced with lost revenue from canceled elective procedures, hospitals laid off 1.4 million health care workers in April, including nearly 135,000 from hospitals."

I continue to think that we need to have localized response by understanding data, finding zip codes with clusters, and aggressively working towards getting the required resources to the affected areas.

State-wide shutdowns have collateral damages. Localized shutdowns, if and when required, makes sense. Re-openings in itself was not the issue, but as the Governor had mentioned, one thing that he would have done differently is not have bars open at the pace that he had them open.

People's livelihoods, including healthcare workers, depend on a running economy.
No the problem was even before covid the max amount of hospital beds (especially in ICU) wasn't feasible and they don't actively have enough staff for max capacity (my parents unit for example they have to do on-call once it goes past 85%). This is the norm for most hospitals, they don't actively staff highend usage year-round

That's my point, max capacity isn't even suitstainable pre-covid and now there trying to add beds ontop of a number that isn't possible to justify the re-openings and to downplay bad decisions

This is the issue, there's a distouch in what people like Jenkins, Abbott, and CDC are saying and what the people who are actively in ICU are saying. Literally nobody I have talked to who works ICU has had anything good to say about what's being reported (I can't tell you how many times i've heard a nurse say "why is Fauci, Jenkins, or Abbott making these claims, have they ever even stepped in an ICU" ?)

CDC wise this shouldn't be shocking. This is the same organziation that completely botched the Presybertian Dallas ebola case in 2014 (despite CDC knowing about ebola since the late 1970s) and then pulled a Jason Garrett and threw the entire hospital and all the nurses under the bus to save there "cush government job"

CDC: "nurses weren't following protocol even though we didn't trained half of them and the other half we changed procedures every day without telling them"

Old 07-09-2020, 09:34 PM

I find this interesting about the test. This is an excerpt from a document within CDC website:
"There is a very little chance that the test can give a positive result that is wrong (false positive). Your healthcare provider will work with you to determine how best to care for you based on your test results, medical history and symptoms."

It does not mention how little is that "little chance" in terms of percentage.

Last edited by CDContribuitor; 07-09-2020 at 09:56 PM..

Old 07-09-2020, 10:01 PM

Thank you for that insight. I hope we come up with some legislation by which nurses get paid better than what they are getting paid today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
No the problem was even before covid the max amount of hospital beds (especially in ICU) wasn't feasible and they don't actively have enough staff for max capacity (my parents unit for example they have to do on-call once it goes past 85%). This is the norm for most hospitals, they don't actively staff highend usage year-round

That's my point, max capacity isn't even suitstainable pre-covid and now there trying to add beds ontop of a number that isn't possible to justify the re-openings and to downplay bad decisions

This is the issue, there's a distouch in what people like Jenkins, Abbott, and CDC are saying and what the people who are actively in ICU are saying. Literally nobody I have talked to who works ICU has had anything good to say about what's being reported (I can't tell you how many times i've heard a nurse say "why is Fauci, Jenkins, or Abbott making these claims, have they ever even stepped in an ICU" ?)

CDC wise this shouldn't be shocking. This is the same organziation that completely botched the Presybertian Dallas ebola case in 2014 (despite CDC knowing about ebola since the late 1970s) and then pulled a Jason Garrett and threw the entire hospital and all the nurses under the bus to save there "cush government job"

CDC: "nurses weren't following protocol even though we didn't trained half of them and the other half we changed procedures every day without telling them"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas