Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 01:10 PM

451 posts, read 320,627 times

Advertisements

The challenges are the supply-dmeand dynamics and mobility. While many areas hospitals and healthcare professionals across the nation are either under-burdened or operating for normal hours, some other hospitals like the presbyterian hospital dallas may be overburdened. Even if Tyler healthcare professionals may be under-burdened and possibly at the risk of losing their jobs, they may not be ready to move temporarily or drive to Dallas to fulfill the shortage issue at presbysterian. And existing workforce in Dallas from other fields cannot get the expertise within a month or two, to treat patients in an ICU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I’m not in the medical field but I would assume the experience and expertise of a senior ICU nurse or ER staff is different than that of the nurse who brings the Botox vials in on a tray at the dermatologist office...

I don’t recall which hospital but on WFAA last night a hospital admin was literally saying, we can open a 3rd, 4th, 5th COVID unit but we don’t have the staff to operate them.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:10 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:
I’m not in the medical field but I would assume the experience and expertise of a senior ICU nurse or ER staff is different than that of the nurse who brings the Botox vials in on a tray at the dermatologist office...
You are right about the experience difference, but unfortunately, that doesn't exactly mean that the inexperienced nurse won't be placed in the ICU. My wife, mother-in-law, two sisters-in-law and many, many friends are nurses. I literally probably know twenty nurses. Over the years, I've heard some crazy sh*t from them regarding being floated to floors on which they had zero experience and being asked to do things they were either not supposed to do (too many patients at a time relative to their condition) or had never done before. And that was before the pandemic.

One of my sisters-in-law has been a nurse for about six months and just got placed on a Covid floor. She had very, very little prior experience that was relevant.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:12 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
The challenges are the supply-dmeand dynamics and mobility. While many areas hospitals and healthcare professionals across the nation are either under-burdened or operating for normal hours, some other hospitals like the presbyterian hospital dallas may be overburdened. Even if Tyler healthcare professionals may be under-burdened and possibly at the risk of losing their jobs, they may not be ready to move temporarily or drive to Dallas to fulfill the shortage issue at presbysterian. And existing workforce in Dallas from other fields cannot get the expertise within a month or two, to treat patients in an ICU.
Isn't this sort of like saying there's no such thing as extreme poverty or hunger because there's enough money and food in existence in the entire world to feed everyone if it were evenly distributed?

Old 07-09-2020, 01:31 PM

No offense taken.

For City of Dallas, there were 300 beds added (5% increase) and 100 ICU beds (10% increase) from the April numbers. (This is assuming the numbers being reported by the Mayor are accurate.)

Please read this NPR article from May 8th and provide your perspective. I would like to hear more than "So what?".

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/n...ers-lose-jobs/
"As Hospitals Lose Revenue, More Than A Million Health Care Workers Lose Jobs
Faced with lost revenue from canceled elective procedures, hospitals laid off 1.4 million health care workers in April, including nearly 135,000 from hospitals."

I continue to think that we need to have localized response by understanding data, finding zip codes with clusters, and aggressively working towards getting the required resources to the affected areas.

State-wide shutdowns have collateral damages. Localized shutdowns, if and when required, makes sense. Re-openings in itself was not the issue, but as the Governor had mentioned, one thing that he would have done differently is not have bars open at the pace that he had them open.

People's livelihoods, including healthcare workers, depend on a running economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
No offense but that sounded like a generic government wishy washy response on your part. My point was they created fake labels to rush everything re-opening ("positivity rate" because it sounds better than saying cases increasing and "free beds" that we have no staff for since all you did was artifically add beds) and now there trying to play those 2 cards even though everyone can see right through the BS.

Last edited by CDContribuitor; 07-09-2020 at 01:45 PM..

Old 07-09-2020, 01:40 PM

Not sure how you are arriving at that analogy from my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Isn't this sort of like saying there's no such thing as extreme poverty or hunger because there's enough money and food in existence in the entire world to feed everyone if it were evenly distributed?

Old 07-09-2020, 01:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
4143. | out of 5710 ----> It is 72% and not 81%.
Sorry - that’s my bad.

The ICU would be at 82% though. Which is the more critical bed count of the two.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:06 PM

I am not able to locate what you are referring to. Can you please post here the exact source/article that you are seeing this information?
"Texas tribune shows about 300 for the whole North/Central TX. The Dallas county data shows only about 150 ICU beds available.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
There is a huge discrepancy in the numbers, your source shows almost 300 ICU beds available in city of Dallas, while Texas tribune shows about the same for the whole North/Central TX. The Dallas county data shows only about 150 ICU beds available.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:22 PM

Agree. Glad that the city was able to increase the capacity since the April bed numbers, so that ICU capacity sits at 70% for now.

Quote:
Sorry - that’s my bad.

The ICU would be at 82% though. Which is the more critical bed count of the two.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:03 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHETTAOLAO View Post
One of my coworker she just had her major dental work done couple weeks ago and couple others just have they routine cleaning done some of the dental offices required pre-screening like temperature check and followed CDC recommended guidelines, for me if just for cleaning I would postpone until thing start to settle down.
thanks, I agree with you, I don't have any periodontal problems so I'm inclined to just wait and continue being diligent in my dental hygiene routine

Old 07-09-2020, 04:13 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,536,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I cancelled my hygiene appointment for last month, because I read an article written by a hygienist who suggested that if you are in the office for a cleaning you should be aware of what else is going on, that drilling or the use of an ultrasonic scaler could spread the virus because of the aerosol production from that equipment. I feel like a fool asking for an appointment when they won't be using equipment that produces aerosols so I'm not sure what to do? What do you think, am I worrying too much?
We aren't using ultrasonic scalers or air polishers at this time. That was in the 120 day mandate from Gov Abbott in May. In cases of periodontal cleanings they can be used but we aren't using them at all right now. We are referring any new perio cases (known typically as a "scaling and root planing," or anecdotally as a "deep cleaning"). This is making the day boring but safer. We are also using a pre procedural rinse of hydrogen peroxide and water, and using high volume evacuation through the whole procedure. Our DDS used a rubber dam most of the time before Covid because she is a great dentist, but now she is using them on basically every procedure to reduce aerosols. We are all wearing Level 3 or above masks, face shields, all PPE. If you think you are worried about going in to your appt, how do you think we dental professionals feel coming up close and personal with the saliva/aerosols of 8+ people per day? You should do what you are comfortable with, but this is the new normal. There are ramifications to putting off treatment. Dental cleanings are not emergencies, but they are essential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas