Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 10:50 AM

451 posts, read 320,627 times

Advertisements

These numbers below are from Mayor's daily email. Where are you getting your 81% and 82% number from?
Here are the bed and capacity statistics for today as reported by 25 hospitals in the City of Dallas:
Total beds: 6106
Beds occupied: 4143 (68%)
Total ICU beds: 968
ICU beds occupied: 679 (70%)

The above capacity numbers have decreased from the mid-June numbers. But you may be right in saying that "The pause on elective, non-diagnostic surgeries on 7/3 should be contributing to declining general pop patients while the number of covid patients increase."

Any insight into this? "Hospitalizations are skyrocketing outside the big cities all across Texas."
Is this because the Covid patients are avoiding hospitals in the big cities and going to hospitals outside the big cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
1. Hospitalizations are skyrocketing outside the big cities all across Texas.

2. The 25 hospitals in the city of Dallas have greatly increased their capacities since this epidemic began. Mayor Johnson was posting daily on his Facebook page through April and May. On April 15 (for reference), the 25 hospitals reported:
Total Beds 5710
ICU Beds 827

If they hadn’t increased capacity, we would be at 81% full beds and 82% in ICU.

3. The pause on elective, non-diagnostic surgeries on 7/3 should be contributing to declining general pop patients while the number of covid patients increase. You would have to know the makeup of the hospital & ICU beds over the last 4 months to see the whole story.

Last edited by CDContribuitor; 07-09-2020 at 11:04 AM..

Old 07-09-2020, 11:18 AM

565 posts, read 559,236 times
Total Beds and ICU beds is extremely misleading. I have friends that work at Presybertian Dallas and there almost at max capacity.

You can't artifically add beds when you literally do not have to the staff to monitor these beds. I feel bad for the nurses, there getting destroyed and the government is supporting it by creating fake misleading titles like "beds occupied" or "positivity rate" to try to save face

Old 07-09-2020, 11:29 AM

This might be true for some hospitals but we cannot generalize it to all hospitals. There were many hospitals across the nation that had to lay off or furlough employees in April/May because they did not have enough patients (covid-19 or otherwise) coming to hospitals because of shutdown.

The hospitalization numbers being tracked for City of Dallas are for 26 hospitals across the city. I am sure some of them may be approaching the max capacity, while many will be at lower than normal capacity, and that is due to the very nature of the virus affecting neighborhoods in clusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
Total Beds and ICU beds is extremely misleading. I have friends that work at Presybertian Dallas and there almost at max capacity.

You can't artifically add beds when you literally do not have to the staff to monitor these beds. I feel bad for the nurses, there getting destroyed and the government is supporting it by creating fake misleading titles like "beds occupied" or "positivity rate" to try to save face

Old 07-09-2020, 11:38 AM

565 posts, read 559,236 times
No offense but that sounded like a generic government wishy washy response on your part. My point was they created fake labels to rush everything re-opening ("positivity rate" because it sounds better than saying cases increasing and "free beds" that we have no staff for since all you did was artifically add beds) and now there trying to play those 2 cards even though everyone can see right through the BS.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:52 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
These numbers below are from Mayor's daily email. Where are you getting your 81% and 82% number from?
Here are the bed and capacity statistics for today as reported by 25 hospitals in the City of Dallas:
Total beds: 6106
Beds occupied: 4143 (68%)
Total ICU beds: 968
ICU beds occupied: 679 (70%)
Did you even read my post?!

I said IF THE CITY’S 25 HOSPITALS HAD NOT INCREASED THE NUMBER OF TOTAL BEDS AND ICU BEDS, we would be at 81% and 82% full, respectively.

# Hospitalized today | Bed count as of 4/15 per the Mayor | Bed count today per the Mayor
4143. | out of 5710 (81%) | out of 6106 (68%)
679 ICU | out of 827 (82%) | out of 968 (70%)

The %’s have been able to stay steady because the actual number of beds available has increased. Which is a good thing. But also why you can’t just rely on percentages to tell a story.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:55 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
This might be true for some hospitals but we cannot generalize it to all hospitals. There were many hospitals across the nation that had to lay off or furlough employees in April/May because they did not have enough patients (covid-19 or otherwise) coming to hospitals because of shutdown.

The hospitalization numbers being tracked for City of Dallas are for 26 hospitals across the city. I am sure some of them may be approaching the max capacity, while many will be at lower than normal capacity, and that is due to the very nature of the virus affecting neighborhoods in clusters.
I’m not in the medical field but I would assume the experience and expertise of a senior ICU nurse or ER staff is different than that of the nurse who brings the Botox vials in on a tray at the dermatologist office...

I don’t recall which hospital but on WFAA last night a hospital admin was literally saying, we can open a 3rd, 4th, 5th COVID unit but we don’t have the staff to operate them.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:28 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I don't know if insurance would pay for it again, and it's $300 paying cash. But at this point, the only place I go is to the grocery store, once every two weeks. It's not worth it to me to go get tested again with cases rising everywhere.
You can get tested for COVID-19 antibodies for free if you donate blood to the American Red Cross.

https://www.redcross.org/local/georg...antibodie.html

https://www.redcross.org/local/texas...to-donate.html

Also these non-Red Cross location in Fort Worth, Irving, and Richardson on July 14: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2020...ies-next-week/

Old 07-09-2020, 12:52 PM

8,156 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:

There is a huge discrepancy in the numbers, your source shows almost 300 ICU beds available in city of Dallas, while Texas tribune shows about the same for the whole North/Central TX. The Dallas county data shows only about 150 ICU beds available.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:57 PM

8,156 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
I’m not in the medical field but I would assume the experience and expertise of a senior ICU nurse or ER staff is different than that of the nurse who brings the Botox vials in on a tray at the dermatologist office...

I don’t recall which hospital but on WFAA last night a hospital admin was literally saying, we can open a 3rd, 4th, 5th COVID unit but we don’t have the staff to operate them.
Well, I've been watching Clements Covid count (UTSW Covid update website). It started in the low teens when we were in the "quiet" period and has been increasing more or less steadily since Memorial day. The count today is at 52 ...

Old 07-09-2020, 12:57 PM

4143. | out of 5710 ----> It is 72% and not 81%.

Quote:
Did you even read my post?!

I said IF THE CITY’S 25 HOSPITALS HAD NOT INCREASED THE NUMBER OF TOTAL BEDS AND ICU BEDS, we would be at 81% and 82% full, respectively.

# Hospitalized today | Bed count as of 4/15 per the Mayor | Bed count today per the Mayor
4143. | out of 5710 (81%) | out of 6106 (68%)
679 ICU | out of 827 (82%) | out of 968 (70%)

The %’s have been able to stay steady because the actual number of beds available has increased. Which is a good thing. But also why you can’t just rely on percentages to tell a story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas