Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2020, 10:10 AM

577 posts, read 457,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That was reckless and irresponsible and cost us lives.
I'm not sure what the best way to approach the coronavirus would have been (from a PR standpoint). On the one hand, you do want to inform the public, but on the other hand, you don't want the entire country to panic. You saw the way people stocked up on toilet paper, so I can't imagine the carnage if the President had come out telling everyone to get ready for a pandemic that could likely kill 100K+ Americans.

I'm not really saying the way Trump handled it was right, but we need to keep in mind that people can be panicky and irrational.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:13 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Trump had been briefed on the dangers of Covid-19 before he went on stage and said this;

That was reckless and irresponsible and cost us lives.
Probably. But the CDC botching testing early was what 100x/1000x more impactful.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:19 AM

121 posts, read 81,840 times
I don't think we can blame 1 person in the US for our response to this virus. I believe everyone is to blame honestly.

Federal Government for the fact that they lied to us early on about wearing masks and were not better prepared to take on this pandemic. The pandemic response team being ousted in 2018 and CDC having their funding cut previously as well.

State Governments for not being on board with shutting down their state properly or opening their state way too early.

Citizens for being stupid by having covid19 parties, partying on spring break, gathering in large groups, and most importantly, not wearing masks!

Old 07-23-2020, 10:24 AM

227 posts, read 223,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjyum View Post
I don't think we can blame 1 person in the US for our response to this virus. I believe everyone is to blame honestly.

Federal Government for the fact that they lied to us early on about wearing masks and were not better prepared to take on this pandemic. The pandemic response team being ousted in 2018 and CDC having their funding cut previously as well.

State Governments for not being on board with shutting down their state properly or opening their state way too early.

Citizens for being stupid by having covid19 parties, partying on spring break, gathering in large groups, and most importantly, not wearing masks!
agree... we can keep on blaming others but reality is, it is what it is.... i feel good that at least everyone will be wearing masks now...

i dont think any country or any leader can say that they are fully prepared for this corona pandemic... in countries where we had been told it had been contained , it has reoccured.......

but with we being in the US , the rest of the world was expecting a Hollywood kind of response where US is going to save the planet ....

Old 07-23-2020, 10:26 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I dont think its a coincidence that the two countries that have had the most explosive case growth have leaders that are identical to one another: USA and Brazil.

Saying, "Well what about Italy and Spain. Their death rates were much worse." is a ridiculous argument. They got hit earlier in the pandemic when we barely knew what we were up against. We dont have alot, but we have many more tools in the toolbox now than we did 3-4 months ago. They revised their positions and took new positions to mitigate things. Now they are fine. The death rate is a ridiculous metric to follow because it lags behind case load. What we should be looking at are new cases and we are objectively the worst in the world (along with Brazil) by those numbers.

I dont see how it isnt ridiculously obvious that Trump made this situation much, MUCH worse than it had to be. However, it isnt his fault alone. Americas culture is the most self indulgent in the world. There are no rights of the community, its all about ME ME ME! "If someone else dies because I dont want to be inconvenienced to wear a mask, I dont care." is pretty well the attitude of too many people in this country. Trump pandered to that mentality and fed that mentality. The fact that he is now calling people to wear masks is way too little, way too late. That would have been nice to have in late April when the CDC and WHO finally came around on masks. Lives could have been saved.

This isnt an anti-Republican rant. For example, I think people are way too hard on Abbott. I think the Gov made the best decisions he could with the info he had at the time. He had the balls to admit he was wrong and mandated masks to show for it. But it should be clear that Trump is thinking about one thing: his re-election chances. The sooner this goes away, the better his chances are and he knows that. Thats why he has been trying to minimize this. Thats why Fox has constantly had the narrative its had on this.

People who approve of his job handling this virus...man, I dont know what to say to such obvious delusion.
It can't lag infinitely, though. There are many, many places in the U.S. (the Midwest has a ton) that saw cases start to increase significantly more than a month ago but are still seeing deaths still trend down (maybe a slight flattening out or bump back up, but no sustained reversal of direction back up). At some point, we can't keep breathlessly repeating "deaths lag behind cases" if the deaths are very frequently not doing that. Texas is different because it was never hit hard in the first place and so the deaths there are increasing. Sweden is another one where cases increased -- again, significantly -- in the summer, and in Sweden's case there wasn't even a slight bump back up in deaths -- the straight-line decline down nearly to zero deaths continues over there. The data is available and it's saying the same thing in many locations.

I cannot take someone seriously if they completely dismiss deaths as a valid statistic yet act as if cases are an infallible metric. If you're interested in the truth, you build the readily available death data into your understanding of reality.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:34 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
For all of you bashing TC80 as an anti-Trumper, can any of you actually defend Trump's actions listed in her post? All I see is a bunch of misdirection and deflection. Yes, we have a bunch of people in this country who defend individual freedom at the cost of the greater good, but when that sentiment is literally modeled and encouraged by the leader of our country, it gives fuel to the fire.

Obviously Trump is not solely responsible for the virus - no one person can be responsible - especially when there is so much that we don't know. But flagrantly touting anti-science theories, refusing to wear a mask himself, silencing experts whose research he doesn't like, and regularly repeating misinformation and flat out lies...how can any rational person not admit this behavior has had a negative impact on the course of the virus in this country?
--TC80 did not start out blaming President Trump. She made a very broad remark that specifically targeted
Republican Christians for their beliefs, their behavior, and their voting pattern. It was a condescending and rude remark and also overly simplistic. I am a Christian and a Republican; I will not vote for Biden; I wear a mask every single time I go out, as do my children. Even when Texas opened up, I still never went anywhere other than the grocery store or the park.

--Protests, riots, and looting occurred in every major city around Memorial Day weekend, and two weeks later cases started spiking in those same places. Ignoring that whole bashing evangelical Republicans is hypocritical to say the very least. EDS points this out a few posts back. I don't see anyone calling out that behavior, but people are eager to blame conservative Christians.

--DPatel just wrote about this and he is right: What would have happened if President Trump told the country in mid-March: you will be in quarantine until July? People would have gone crazy. Keep in mind also that the intial claim from *everyone* in leadership was "flatten the curve". The idea was to keep people in for a few weeks so the health care system didn't get overwhelmed. Whatever happened to that? It went from not overwhelming the system to Fauci saying he wanted to keep the country shut down until there wer 0 new cases. (Somewhere 100 pages back I have a source for that.)

--The leading health experts told Americans masks were needed for health care workers.

--Some edicts in some places have been nonsensical. In Michigan, for example, Governor Whitmar told citizens that they could not leave their primary reaidence to go stay at their lakefront cottages, even though people coming from neighboring states were able to travel through MI to go to their cottages. Government *has* over reached in many states and unfortunately masks have become the symbol of protests. However, it is not truly about the masks and never has been.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 07-23-2020 at 10:45 AM..

Old 07-23-2020, 10:55 AM

34 posts, read 25,908 times
Question:

"if cross-immunity has the potential to take the most severe outcome (death) off the table, why not infect healthy people with another (non-lethal, routine) coronavirus so that our immune system will be strengthened against Covid-19"

https://twitter.com/gummibear737/sta...727444993?s=20

Old 07-23-2020, 11:10 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
President’s budget would hinder US public health progress: Huge cuts proposed Note the date on the article is May 2019. The publisher is The American Publis Health Association.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:14 AM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
This is hysterical. It's OK to compare The US to countries hit later on the CV-19 time horizon but not those hit earlier? Come on.

Further, let's give Italy and Spain a pass as they have very uneven HC and are short many of the things we take for granted. What about The UK, Belgium*, France and Sweden? Belgium gets an * because they are likely overcounting CV-19 deaths. In terms of time horizon we are only slightly behind those places.

I'm a lot things but delusional isn't one of them. I've been paid by academic and private concerns for decades to dispassionately examine information pulled from large number sets.

Let's be brutally clear. These things matter FAR MORE than Trump's fumbling relative to masks and other things.

1. The Chinese sat on CV-19 for several weeks and downplayed it for months.
2. The CDC via astonishing missteps delayed widespread testing by about 6 weeks......a 6 week period that would have made a huge difference.
3. The intransigence of some young people, some cultural momentum, and having what is probably the most unhealthy large population on Earth have been big players in all this as well.

Bonus point while people yell and scream about masks......next time you are out note the proportion of people wearing masks incorrectly.

People should wear masks and were them correctly. But the notion that mask wearing provides ubiquitous protection is folly.
Not sure what you mean by that. NY - yes. TX, FL, AZ, CA, etc, etc - not really. Multiple states are in the middle of uncontrolled spread. Your list above is going to get shorter, in a week the US death rate will exceed that of France. And of course the list of countries that did much better is quite longer.

The botched initial response was a huge problem, but not the only problem. The mess continues to this day. Reopenings were rushed (no guidelines / no metrics met whatsoever), irresponsible behavior was encouraged by mixed messaging, taking precautions somehow become political, and so on.

P.S. Instead of "we have plenty of hospital beds" the message should have been "wear the f. mask".

Old 07-23-2020, 11:20 AM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
P.S. Instead of "we have plenty of hospital beds" the message should have been "wear the f. mask".
Fauci admits that they didn't tell people to wear masks initially because they wanted to make sure frontline workers had enough:
https://youtu.be/Sqex07kJhzU?t=53

I wish we would have gotten on board with mask wearing earlier, but it seems like there was a real risk of a huge shortage of masks, which would have been an even bigger problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas