Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 06:58 PM

516 posts, read 451,109 times

Advertisements

Discharging the elderly to a nursing home to recover is not a new practice. Two of my grandparents experienced that when they were in the hospital with pneumonia (on separate occasions) around 10 years ago.

Also, lethal injection can be found here as well, though illegal. A hospice company in North Texas a few years ago was shut down and investigated by FBI because they were killing their patients to get their Medicare payout sooner.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Florida has nursing homes designated for recovering patients to keep them away from the uninfected. They are banned until 2 negative tests. Isolation Centers:https://floridaseniorliving.org/wp-c...-Available.pdf
https://www.naplesnews.com/story/new...es/5175344002/

Most of the cases are 45 and under. Check the "Cases by County" tab on the Florida dashboard.
https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...8ddedb9b25e429
I think that is relatively new, prior to that they definitely were releasing them to nursing homes

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...acilities.html

I don't think it's easy to pick winners or losers here, everyone has screwed up to some extent, but I consider what Sweden did as being reprehensible and disgusting and I hate saying that because I"m 25% Swedish and have family there.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:18 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,216,689 times
CDContributer...

When I was a college librarian, I taught students how to evaluate information sources. I' ve bookmarked that interview you keep recommending in case I ever return to that career because it's a great example to use for a biased source. It's in his best interest to justify what he did and present it in the best possible light. It's not an independent evaluation by a respected, independent third party.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:55 AM

573 posts, read 336,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
CDContributer...

When I was a college librarian, I taught students how to evaluate information sources. I' ve bookmarked that interview you keep recommending in case I ever return to that career because it's a great example to use for a biased source. It's in his best interest to justify what he did and present it in the best possible light. It's not an independent evaluation by a respected, independent third party.
Right on. His/her bias has been evident throughout the thread. Another example of the bias is taking interviews out of context:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post

I hope you did pay attention to Dr. Fauci's interview as late as Feb 27 where he said that he sees the coronavirus problem in US as "miniscule". If your argument to that is the President needed to know better, I do not know how to counter-argue.
In the interview where it's alleged that Dr. Fauci's sees the problem as minuscule, he actually said,
"...the risk right now, today [interview was Feb 17], currently, is really relatively low for the American public, but that could change because of what's going outside of the United States. ...that this [coronavirus] could evolve, and it'll be unrealistic to deny that, could evolve into a global pandemic, which would then have significant implications for us.... So right now, don't worry about it. ...but keep in mind, that the coronovirus situation could change which is the reason why we are taking it very seriously because it could be a substantial threat...."

He goes on to say that "if and when, and I hope it's when" we get significant amounts of coronovirus in the US, to social distance, wash hands, etc. He also mentions that people wearing masks right now are not relevant, and should be reserved for people who are infected, to prevent them from infecting others.

Source of the "miniscule" comment. Although I may be wrong, I didn't hear Fauci say the word "miniscule", tt may just be a headline interpretation of when he said it was a "relatively low" issue...again, on February 17, not on March 13, or in May, or in July. Some just need to blame on Fauci so they don't have to lay any
responsibility on a person they adore.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Here's the thing. People who criticize Governor Cuomo for sending patients to nursing homes, are not offering an alternative. What was he supposed to do? Throw them out on the street?
That's exactly right, the same thing happened in California, lots of finger pointing and not one alternative solution offered. The other thing that is notable is that Covid tore through rest homes that hadn't received any discharged covid patients - spread mostly by staff and visitors.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:37 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
North Texas couple diagnosed with COVID-19, four days after attending family gathering at sister's home in Dallas. Both passed away last Friday. Two other relatives tested positive and have recovered.

North Texas Family ‘Prayed For Miracles’, Now Mourning Loss Of 2 Loved Ones To Coronavirus After Family Gathering
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/07/27/...ily-gathering/

Old 07-28-2020, 11:55 AM

451 posts, read 320,386 times
At this time, there is no unbiased source to evaluate the Swedish response. Almost all of the media sources are based on biased and political leanings of their reporters. The way I look at the interview that I keep referring to, is to see it as part of a jury and evaluate his argument as if he is the defendant. As I mentioned, I look forward to evaluation of the responses of all countries, based on an independent study - maybe it will take a year more to get to that point. If you see the interview, the only fact that was missed was the point move2forward made and that was the nursing homes were intentionally giving the "cocktail" to the infected so that they do not infect the other residents. Other than that, in my opinion, all other information and arguments presented were honest. They acknowledge that "many deaths happened in the nursing homes" without going into details and they consider their response in that respect, a failure.

Personally, additional to the main source, I look at data. Data-wise, you would see that NYC is comparable to Sweden with regards to their population. Even though the other poster 2sleepy said that Sweden has a higher death rate than NY/NYC, I am not sure what he/she is referring to. I bet, he/she got that information from a media article, and none of those reporters have calculated the following numbers before reporting. They took the one story about the response in the nursing homes as negative and brushed their complete response as a failure. Here are the numbers:
NY State:
Population: 19.45 million
Confirmed: 417,000
Deaths: 32,322
Mortality: 7.75%
Deaths per 100,000: 166

NYC:
Population: 8.3 million
Confirmed: 229,000
Deaths: 22,970
Mortality: 10.03%
Deaths per 100,000: 276

Sweden
Population: 10.3 million
Confirmed: 79,494
Deaths: 5,700
Mortality: 7.17%
Deaths per 100,000: 55.33

There could be an argument that Sweden cannot be compared to NYC and NY state. On the same token, we should also consider an argument where they say that they cannot be compared to other Nordic countries, because their immigration numbers in cities like Stockholm are much higher than cities in the other Nordic countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
CDContributer...

Last edited by CDContribuitor; 07-28-2020 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-28-2020, 12:28 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's exactly right, the same thing happened in California, lots of finger pointing and not one alternative solution offered. The other thing that is notable is that Covid tore through rest homes that hadn't received any discharged covid patients - spread mostly by staff and visitors.
There were alternatives for sure. The feds set up centers across the country in hotspot cities in order to deal with people like those The Governor forced into nursing homes.

This is going to get way worse for Cuomo. There will be an official investigation by the NY legislature and probably the feds too.

One glaring problem for NY/Cuomo is that, apparently via orders from the gov. or his office, nursing home deaths have been drastically undercounted......the 6,300 number is a mirage as those living in care home who died in hospitals have not been counted in care home totals. Apparently no other state accounts for said deaths similarly.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:46 PM

451 posts, read 320,386 times
There is reference to "just minuscule" in quotes. I assume the reporter is stating that Dr. Fauci used that word during his interview.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ds/4787209002/

I tend to see a lot of "ifs and whens" in his interviews. For eg: "I am not happy with the trend of the daily positive cases virus in the country. If the trend continues, I will not be surprised if we get to 100,000 new cases per day.: or something on those lines. That does not need a top epidemiologist to make that assessment. He has been reacting rather than leading, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
Right on. His/her bias has been evident throughout the thread. Another example of the bias is taking interviews out of context:

In the interview where it's alleged that Dr. Fauci's sees the problem as minuscule, he actually said,
"...the risk right now, today [interview was Feb 17], currently, is really relatively low for the American public, but that could change because of what's going outside of the United States. ...that this [coronavirus] could evolve, and it'll be unrealistic to deny that, could evolve into a global pandemic, which would then have significant implications for us.... So right now, don't worry about it. ...but keep in mind, that the coronovirus situation could change which is the reason why we are taking it very seriously because it could be a substantial threat...."

He goes on to say that "if and when, and I hope it's when" we get significant amounts of coronovirus in the US, to social distance, wash hands, etc. He also mentions that people wearing masks right now are not relevant, and should be reserved for people who are infected, to prevent them from infecting others.

Source of the "miniscule" comment. Although I may be wrong, I didn't hear Fauci say the word "miniscule", tt may just be a headline interpretation of when he said it was a "relatively low" issue...again, on February 17, not on March 13, or in May, or in July. Some just need to blame on Fauci so they don't have to lay any
responsibility on a person they adore.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
There were alternatives for sure. The feds set up centers across the country in hotspot cities in order to deal with people like those The Governor forced into nursing homes.

This is going to get way worse for Cuomo. There will be an official investigation by the NY legislature and probably the feds too.

One glaring problem for NY/Cuomo is that, apparently via orders from the gov. or his office, nursing home deaths have been drastically undercounted......the 6,300 number is a mirage as those living in care home who died in hospitals have not been counted in care home totals. Apparently no other state accounts for said deaths similarly.
That's interesting...I searched for guidance on the use of these 'centers' set up by the feds but all I could find was this:
Quote:
CMS March 13,2020
Note: Nursing homes should admit any individuals that they would normally admit to their
facility, including individuals from hospitals where a case of COVID-19 was/is present.

Also, if possible, dedicate a unit/wing exclusively for any residents coming or returning
from the hospital. This can serve as a step-down unit where they remain for 14 days with
no symptoms (instead of integrating as usual on short-term rehab floor, or returning to
long-stay original room).
https://www.cms.gov/files/document/3...e-covid-19.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas