Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2021, 01:50 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman2521 View Post
Plenty of 1As still awaiting vaccines. More likely second scenario of negligence.
More guessing, but it appears to me, if your POV is correct and 1As aren't being vaccinated at UTSW now it's because UTSW has decided unvaccinated 1As should go elsewhere and the 1B group + those with certain pre-existing conditions being vaccinated better serves the community.

The notion that UTSW does not know what it is doing is silly.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:25 PM

34 posts, read 25,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
More guessing, but it appears to me, if your POV is correct and 1As aren't being vaccinated at UTSW now it's because UTSW has decided unvaccinated 1As should go elsewhere and the 1B group + those with certain pre-existing conditions being vaccinated better serves the community.

Who said anything about UTSW not knowing what they're doing. It just seems odd w/o explanation and against every other facility's guideline. What is silly is the mind reading going on here.

ETA: and it's not my POV, it's what's stated(or left off) on their registration page.

Either way everything else is speculation

Last edited by PACman2521; 02-04-2021 at 03:41 PM..

Old 02-04-2021, 03:45 PM

8,158 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:

Well, as far as I know, they have vaccinated (or offered vaccination) all employees. From the very beginning their 1A sub-category descriptions included only UTSW faculty, staff, students, etc.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, as far as I know, they have vaccinated (or offered vaccination) all employees. From the very beginning their 1A sub-category descriptions included only UTSW faculty, staff, students, etc.
That's my understanding as well.

ETA - Note that I was trying to 1/2 - understand and 1/2 - dispute the other person's implied claim that UTSW was negligent.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:22 PM

516 posts, read 451,368 times
As a current patient at UTSW, every employee I have talked to was given priority for a vaccine before they released it to the 1B group.

UTSW is operating essentially three separate vaccine roll-outs. The first one is for their own staff, the second one is for people in the 1A/1B groups who have been a patient at UTSW in the last three years. The third operation is working with Dallas County to distribute vaccines to the general public in the 1A/1B groups.

So, to make an assumption about UTSW's allocation of vaccines based on what their website tells you may not be entirely accurate. I do know there are still some places that are only offering vaccines to the 1A group. Dallas Medical Center in Farmers Branch and Kroger are two examples. However, it is my understanding that there are not enough people in the 1A group now that still need a vaccine, that it doesn't make sense to hoard the vaccines from the 1B group. If someone from the 1A still hasn't gotten at least their first dose, I have to question if they waited too long to sign up or their employers screwed them over. My BIL technically qualifies for the 1A group. He does sales for a hospice group. While he's not a nurse or doctor, he's interacting with doctors, nurses and patients daily. So, it would make sense he should get a vaccine. However, his company only gave out vaccines to the nurses and doctors. He was able to sign up through Kroger in the 1A group, jump the line, and get a shot there.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:14 PM

34 posts, read 25,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
As a current patient at UTSW, every employee I have talked to was given priority for a vaccine before they released it to the 1B group.

UTSW is operating essentially three separate vaccine roll-outs. The first one is for their own staff, the second one is for people in the 1A/1B groups who have been a patient at UTSW in the last three years. The third operation is working with Dallas County to distribute vaccines to the general public in the 1A/1B groups.

So, to make an assumption about UTSW's allocation of vaccines based on what their website tells you may not be entirely accurate. I do know there are still some places that are only offering vaccines to the 1A group. Dallas Medical Center in Farmers Branch and Kroger are two examples. However, it is my understanding that there are not enough people in the 1A group now that still need a vaccine, that it doesn't make sense to hoard the vaccines from the 1B group. If someone from the 1A still hasn't gotten at least their first dose, I have to question if they waited too long to sign up or their employers screwed them over. My BIL technically qualifies for the 1A group. He does sales for a hospice group. While he's not a nurse or doctor, he's interacting with doctors, nurses and patients daily. So, it would make sense he should get a vaccine. However, his company only gave out vaccines to the nurses and doctors. He was able to sign up through Kroger in the 1A group, jump the line, and get a shot there.
Only going by what they have on their website, which may be negligence on their part to update or correct info if indeed wrong. Incorrect on the second part. DMC in FB registration allowing both 1A/1B rn on their pages, not sure on Kroger w/ website saying they're out of doses. And again incorrect on last part. Signed up first or second day of DSHS website (and lost count how many other sites) but heard nada so far other than receipt email acknowledging pre-registration.

I'm not making judgements on how vaccines should be distributed, more surprised if true UTSW's eligibility according to its own website and the misinformation being spread.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:44 AM

554 posts, read 684,326 times
The biggest problem that I've found is that once the county level vaccines were opened up to 1A/1B, there is no prioritization of 1A over 1B - just first come first serve. Any 1A individual who works in an outpatient setting was, for the most part, lumped in with all of the 1Bs because by the time waiting lists were readily open to the public, it was combined 1A/1B. DH and I are both 1A (outpatient) and I signed us up on the 4 major county waitlists as well as many other smaller ones pretty much as soon as they opened. Most are trash and never tell you where you are on the waitlist or give you updates on vaccine allocations and where they are in the process. Denton county gives and email every Friday with your waitlist position, the vaccine allocation for the week, and the number on the waitlist with which they are starting to vaccinate the following week. Based on multiple conversations on NextDoor, as well as speaking with a number of our neighbors, we know of many 1B people who were tens of thousands of positions ahead of us on the waitlist for Denton county.

That said, Denton county is clearly the most well-run of the 4 major counties - they are vaccinating 30K people this week alone, all drive through, with minimal wait times. As much as it was frustrating as a 1A being lumped behind thousands of 1B people, if all the counties ran things like Denton, it would hardly matter because they are so efficient. The attempts at hierarchy and equity may be noble in spirit, but in reality, they drastically slow down the pipeline and the number of people getting shots in their arms.

Dallas county was the first list we joined since it is the county in which we reside. No follow up from them since the initial registration - absolutely nothing. I don't even know how to get off the waitlist now that we've been vaccinated (Denton county has a removal link in each weekly email for people who get the shot elsewhere.) I will be interested to see how long it takes to actually hear something from them. In the meantime, for any 1A/1B who hasn't yet registered for Denton county, it is worth the drive!

Old 02-05-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
The biggest problem that I've found is that once the county level vaccines were opened up to 1A/1B, there is no prioritization of 1A over 1B - just first come first serve. Any 1A individual who works in an outpatient setting was, for the most part, lumped in with all of the 1Bs because by the time waiting lists were readily open to the public, it was combined 1A/1B. DH and I are both 1A (outpatient) and I signed us up on the 4 major county waitlists as well as many other smaller ones pretty much as soon as they opened. Most are trash and never tell you where you are on the waitlist or give you updates on vaccine allocations and where they are in the process. Denton county gives and email every Friday with your waitlist position, the vaccine allocation for the week, and the number on the waitlist with which they are starting to vaccinate the following week. Based on multiple conversations on NextDoor, as well as speaking with a number of our neighbors, we know of many 1B people who were tens of thousands of positions ahead of us on the waitlist for Denton county.

That said, Denton county is clearly the most well-run of the 4 major counties - they are vaccinating 30K people this week alone, all drive through, with minimal wait times. As much as it was frustrating as a 1A being lumped behind thousands of 1B people, if all the counties ran things like Denton, it would hardly matter because they are so efficient. The attempts at hierarchy and equity may be noble in spirit, but in reality, they drastically slow down the pipeline and the number of people getting shots in their arms.

Dallas county was the first list we joined since it is the county in which we reside. No follow up from them since the initial registration - absolutely nothing. I don't even know how to get off the waitlist now that we've been vaccinated (Denton county has a removal link in each weekly email for people who get the shot elsewhere.) I will be interested to see how long it takes to actually hear something from them. In the meantime, for any 1A/1B who hasn't yet registered for Denton county, it is worth the drive!
I’m working from memory. But IIRC Dallas County vaccinated 43,000 people over the same span Denton County vaccinated 30,000. Dallas County is also switching to some drive through shot lines.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:32 AM

554 posts, read 684,326 times
Quote:
I’m working from memory. But IIRC Dallas County vaccinated 43,000 people over the same span Denton County vaccinated 30,000. Dallas County is also switching to some drive through shot lines.
I think you could be right, but Dallas claims to have between 400k and 600K on their waitlist, while Denton had (at last check) more like 150K, so percentage-wise, there is a big difference. Also, the craziness at the convention center last week led to multiple family members of mine arriving for scheduled appointments to be told there was no more vaccine left (whereas Denton will not offer appointments without confirmed doses.) UT Southwestern seems like the smoothest running site in Dallas county from what I've heard from friends and family, though even there, I've heard multiple stories of having to stand in line for hours.

I know all of these counties are trying their best to push out doses - I just think some of the systems are more efficient than others. If Dallas county had just 2 of the sites like the speedway, they could crank out 20K doses per day and theoretically, 100K per week if they got the supply (which is obviously a different issue.) Dallas splitting up the doses and sending them to multiple different sites would seem to intuitively cut down of wait times, but does not appear to do so - at least not from what I've heard. Denton county's communication also blows Dallas out of the water.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
I think you could be right, but Dallas claims to have between 400k and 600K on their waitlist, while Denton had (at last check) more like 150K, so percentage-wise, there is a big difference. Also, the craziness at the convention center last week led to multiple family members of mine arriving for scheduled appointments to be told there was no more vaccine left (whereas Denton will not offer appointments without confirmed doses.) UT Southwestern seems like the smoothest running site in Dallas county from what I've heard from friends and family, though even there, I've heard multiple stories of having to stand in line for hours.

I know all of these counties are trying their best to push out doses - I just think some of the systems are more efficient than others. If Dallas county had just 2 of the sites like the speedway, they could crank out 20K doses per day and theoretically, 100K per week if they got the supply (which is obviously a different issue.) Dallas splitting up the doses and sending them to multiple different sites would seem to intuitively cut down of wait times, but does not appear to do so - at least not from what I've heard. Denton county's communication also blows Dallas out of the water.
Good post.

As you alluded earlier the powers that be in Dallas had good intentions but devised a plan that encouraged inequitable distribution in the name of equity.....that kind of logic never works well. Public health should be about hard science and statistics and best current thoughts from the local medical community not what the loudest Dallas County Commissioners desire.

Denton County made its vax effort efficient/numbers based morphing into something of a national model.

Dallas made it about other things and the effort is bureaucratic at best. Another way to think about it......Denton County organized its efforts much as a business would. Dallas County the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas