Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 07:32 PM

24 posts, read 56,504 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving from Plano to either Keller, or Denton. I work in Irving/Las Colinas and back when we had normal traffic on the roads, my commute from Plano was not a lot of fun. So right now we have an opportunity to move, and while we don't necessarily need to move closer, I want to move somewhere that will have less maddening traffic.
I know the traffic on the roads right now with the COVID19 stuff, is not normal, so I'm counting on you folks to fill me in on what that traffic is normally like when we're no dealing with a pandemic.

When things do get back to "normal", will driving into Las Colinas from 35E (near Corinth) be terrible? Worse than my drive in on PGB from the West Plano area?

How about Keller? What would normal morning and evening commutes be like to Las Colinas?

We've explored both areas, and aren't committed to either, I just want my family to live someplace decent, that won't take an hour to get to and from work when the office opens back up later this year.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 07:42 PM

11,864 posts, read 26,907,147 times
What attracts you to Keller?
What’s your housing budget?

Denton would be just as bad as Plano, except that the commute won’t be on a toll road. On a weekend with no traffic, it’s a good 35 minute drive, so during the week, it would be considerably longer. Plano schools are better than Denton, so it would be a net loss.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:43 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,081,698 times
What is your budget?

Old 06-06-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
What attracts you to Keller?
What’s your housing budget?
I'm not sure how a housing budget plays into a request for traffic information..

Old 06-06-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
What is your budget?
Housing budget shouldn't impact traffic. I'm simply looking for info on what traffic is like from the requested areas to Las Colinas/Irving.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:02 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,081,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullvector View Post
I'm not sure how a housing budget plays into a request for traffic information..
Because what I would really tell you to do is move to Colleyville. However if you can't afford Colleyville (which is why I'm asking about your budget), I would recommend the portion of North Richland Hills that is zoned to Keller HS.

Either of those options is more convenient to Irving than is Keller, especially "Keller" which is really Fort Worth, which is where a budget of $350,000 puts you.

Budget has everything to do with commute around here.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:18 AM

11,864 posts, read 26,907,147 times
I agree with the above. It all depends on your budget. If you have $600k or more, then just move to Southlake or Colleyville. If you can do $400k, look at Grapevine. All three of these will be a shorter commute than Keller/north Fort Worth, and they have better schools.

Be sure and look at the property taxes in Corinth. They are notoriously high...

One MAJOR consideration needs to be the I35E Lake Lewisville Bridge. It’s been a notorious bottleneck for years. Whenever there is a wreck on the bridge, traffic backs up horribly because the alternate routes are significantly longer, and many people are not aware of them.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:42 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,558,723 times
Denton is likely further distance wise, but depending on what time you are leaving and how much traffic there is, it might actually be quicker than Keller.

Keller doesn’t have good freeway or tollway access, so it’d be a deceptively long commute.

As others have pointed out, there may be better options that are closer to Irving. You don’t need to be so snarky.

Old 06-07-2020, 02:38 PM

516 posts, read 452,407 times
Without knowing your budget, taste in housing, or priority with schooling, here is my opinion. There are closer cities like Grapevine, Coppell, Carrollton, Farmers Branch, Euless, Arlington, and parts of Dallas that will be a much closer for your commute. Traffic would be a drag in my opinion for all three of these cities you are looking at. Keller is good if you are commuting to Fort Worth or Southlake. I used to commute from Denton to Coppell and it would take me 35-45 minutes in the morning and 50-60 minutes in the afternoon from Coppell to Denton with normal traffic. 35E is a pain, especially the Lake Lewisville bridge portion. Once, I sat in traffic for 3 hours because of a wreck on the bridge. Other times, if there was an accident (which is fairly often) it would take me 1.5 hours to get to work or back home. Plano would also be a big pain. 635 and PGBT are not as bad as 35, but they are still major thoroughfares in DFW, so you are going to be sitting in traffic daily.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:31 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,494,070 times
Keller is a pretty big place the way some people define it...so if you live on the West side of the tracks then that could add 15mins to your drive....from old Keller I would allow about 45mins to Irving in the morning and 1hr going home.

Denton...same thing, depends on what part of Denton...but 45mins-1hr in the morning and 1hr to 1-15mins going home.

I live in Coppell so during the day...like at 12noon 1pm...takes me about 15mins to go from Coppell to South Denton.
at 5-6pm takes me 1hr on the same route.

I do not pay for tolls, but that is an option and it does move quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas