Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 07:36 AM

59 posts, read 65,972 times

Advertisements

Hello! I’m moving within the next couple of months from PA and Dallas is currently at the top of my list. I don’t know anyone in Dallas, so I’ll be going it alone and hoping the community on here can help clarify some of my biggest questions. I’d really appreciate it!

I work remote so I don’t need to worry about commuting. I don’t intend to drive very much either (unless absolutely necessary) as I hear the traffic in Dallas is horrible. That’s the main reason I want to be in a WALKABLE central area with easy access to everything, including restaurants, shopping, arts, culture, social scene etc.

I’m currently considering Downtown Dallas, Uptown Dallas, and the Arts District. Here are my questions:

- As a single female in her early 40s, I want a neighborhood that’s filled with other singles over 30. Are these neighborhoods good options for that?

- Do these areas have a significant bug problem? I’ve read horror stories about Dallas bugs but most of them seem to be in the suburbs or more rural areas with more greenery. I absolutely HATE cockroaches/water bugs/palmetto bugs - whatever we choose to call them! I have a serious bug phobia, especially large flying roaches. So I need to make sure that downtown Dallas doesn’t have bug problems as well.

- Should I be concerned about the crime? Again, I keep reading horror stories and it’s difficult to gauge if these are just fear mongering stories. I have lived in dangerous areas before and I do NOT want to experience that again. I am a New York City native with street smarts and I know what it is to live in a crime ridden city.

- I have also read that the homeless situation in Dallas is severe and problematic. And that Dallas has a large homeless/poverty/crime ratio. Do the homeless roam around the city, including the nicer parts? Similar to how it is in some other US cities like New York, Seattle, and even some parts of Miami? Many of the homeless in New York are violent. I don’t want a repeat. I don’t want to make the effort of moving to a new city that is plagued with homelessness and crime.

Thank you again. I appreciate any insight or advice offered. Have a great one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 10:37 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
Quote:
- As a single female in her early 40s, I want a neighborhood that’s filled with other singles over 30. Are these neighborhoods good options for that?

Sort of. Dallas is really spread out, and a huge number of people do not live in those areas, and the nightlife pulls from a circumference (in normal times) of close to 20 miles in all directions. Of the ones that live there, then yes, a significant population is singles 30+ years old. But we are talking a high hundreds to low thousands of people.

Quote:
Do the homeless roam around the city, including the nicer parts?
Again, yes, and sort of. There are occasional crimes in and around downtown. There are homeless and panhandlers, and they are at any busy intersection that where people have money including the suburbs. Are there lots everywhere and is downtown plagued by violent crime? In my opinion, no.

Is the homeless problem around downtown severe? Well, one of the largest outreach centers is near downtown (called The Bridge) and the bus station downtown acts as kind of a magnet. So the homeless problem seems more dramatic in certain areas around downtown than other parts of the metro.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:52 AM

968 posts, read 727,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvf13 View Post
I absolutely HATE cockroaches/water bugs/palmetto bugs - whatever we choose to call them! I have a serious bug phobia, especially large flying roaches. So I need to make sure that downtown Dallas doesn’t have bug problems as well.
Ehhhh....they are a fact of life there. I had never seen a large cockroach having grown up in central New England. The first time I saw one, I was sitting at my computer desk in my Uptown Dallas apartment and noticed something move out on the floor out of the corner of my eye. I just about jumped out of my skin and ran out of the room. For the next 10 minutes, my Ohio-native roommate (who had also never seen one) and I were trying to figure out how to get rid of it without touching it. High comedy!

Honestly, I lived in 4 different locations in central Dallas during my 10 years there. I found at least one or two in every single place (and for the most part these were nice apartments and then a house in Lakewood). I hate them too, but know these are not the "infestation" roaches but outdoor ones that come in looking for water. I know it's cold comfort, but they're basically harmless.

Other can chime in on the current singles scene, but when I was there in the 2000's it would have probably been Lakewood (area around Cosmo's) or Inwood/Lovers (area around Inwood Tavern/TOT) for late 30-40 somethings. Uptown was waaaaayy too young and rowdy, at least in those days. But that data point is about 10 years dated so likely to have changed.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:54 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Quote:
...I don’t intend to drive very much either (unless absolutely necessary) as I hear the traffic in Dallas is horrible. ..
You'll be driving. DART runs to a very limited range of areas. Dallas is not NYC.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:26 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You'll be driving. DART runs to a very limited range of areas. Dallas is not NYC.
Not so much if they're working from home Downtown or in Uptown. DART definitely does not compare to the MTA but they'll be close to where the train lines and several bus lines converge through the heart of Downtown.

IIRC the only grocery stores in the area are a Whole Foods and Walmart Neighborhood Market. However, she could use Instacart if she didn't want to venture out further. Getting things set up in their home might require a drive or three but after that, car use will probably be minimal. She could even budget for Uber/Lyft depending on how far out she needs to go.

For someone who wants to be able to walk to places to shop and eat in "normal" times, Uptown is ideal IMO. Downtown doesn't necessarily have as many options but is at least close to Uptown, Bishop Arts District and Deep Ellum.

Old 12-16-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Sort of. Dallas is really spread out, and a huge number of people do not live in those areas, and the nightlife pulls from a circumference (in normal times) of close to 20 miles in all directions. Of the ones that live there, then yes, a significant population is singles 30+ years old. But we are talking a high hundreds to low thousands of people.

Again, yes, and sort of. There are occasional crimes in and around downtown. There are homeless and panhandlers, and they are at any busy intersection that where people have money including the suburbs. Are there lots everywhere and is downtown plagued by violent crime? In my opinion, no.

Is the homeless problem around downtown severe? Well, one of the largest outreach centers is near downtown (called The Bridge) and the bus station downtown acts as kind of a magnet. So the homeless problem seems more dramatic in certain areas around downtown than other parts of the metro.
Thanks so much for your detailed responses on both threads (I mistakenly posted twice). I really appreciate it! Your feedback helps a lot.

Old 12-16-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Ehhhh....they are a fact of life there. I had never seen a large cockroach having grown up in central New England. The first time I saw one, I was sitting at my computer desk in my Uptown Dallas apartment and noticed something move out on the floor out of the corner of my eye. I just about jumped out of my skin and ran out of the room. For the next 10 minutes, my Ohio-native roommate (who had also never seen one) and I were trying to figure out how to get rid of it without touching it. High comedy!

Honestly, I lived in 4 different locations in central Dallas during my 10 years there. I found at least one or two in every single place (and for the most part these were nice apartments and then a house in Lakewood). I hate them too, but know these are not the "infestation" roaches but outdoor ones that come in looking for water. I know it's cold comfort, but they're basically harmless.

Other can chime in on the current singles scene, but when I was there in the 2000's it would have probably been Lakewood (area around Cosmo's) or Inwood/Lovers (area around Inwood Tavern/TOT) for late 30-40 somethings. Uptown was waaaaayy too young and rowdy, at least in those days. But that data point is about 10 years dated so likely to have changed.
Aaaahhh!! I can only imagine! I've had my fair share of large roach experiences throughout the years. And by now, I'm downright traumatized. lol. Maybe I should strongly consider a state where those things are not as much of an issue.

Thank you as well for pointing out the rowdiness in Uptown. I'll have to think on that too!

Old 12-16-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Not so much if they're working from home Downtown or in Uptown. DART definitely does not compare to the MTA but they'll be close to where the train lines and several bus lines converge through the heart of Downtown.

IIRC the only grocery stores in the area are a Whole Foods and Walmart Neighborhood Market. However, she could use Instacart if she didn't want to venture out further. Getting things set up in their home might require a drive or three but after that, car use will probably be minimal. She could even budget for Uber/Lyft depending on how far out she needs to go.

For someone who wants to be able to walk to places to shop and eat in "normal" times, Uptown is ideal IMO. Downtown doesn't necessarily have as many options but is at least close to Uptown, Bishop Arts District and Deep Ellum.
Thanks!

Old 12-17-2020, 11:37 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
Quote:
Thank you as well for pointing out the rowdiness in Uptown. I'll have to think on that too!
It's my understanding that Uptown has mellowed out in more recent times. The rowdiness (pre-COVID, of course) has since shifted over to Deep Ellum.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:35 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,413,819 times
Quote:
Hello! I’m moving within the next couple of months from PA and Dallas is currently at the top of my list. I don’t know anyone in Dallas, so I’ll be going it alone and hoping the community on here can help clarify some of my biggest questions. I’d really appreciate it!

I work remote so I don’t need to worry about commuting. I don’t intend to drive very much either (unless absolutely necessary) as I hear the traffic in Dallas is horrible. That’s the main reason I want to be in a WALKABLE central area with easy access to everything, including restaurants, shopping, arts, culture, social scene etc.

I’m currently considering Downtown Dallas, Uptown Dallas, and the Arts District. Here are my questions:

- Do these areas have a significant bug problem? I’ve read horror stories about Dallas bugs but most of them seem to be in the suburbs or more rural areas with more greenery. I absolutely HATE cockroaches/water bugs/palmetto bugs - whatever we choose to call them! I have a serious bug phobia, especially large flying roaches. So I need to make sure that downtown Dallas doesn’t have bug problems as well.

- Should I be concerned about the crime? Again, I keep reading horror stories and it’s difficult to gauge if these are just fear mongering stories. I have lived in dangerous areas before and I do NOT want to experience that again. I am a New York City native with street smarts and I know what it is to live in a crime ridden city.

- I have also read that the homeless situation in Dallas is severe and problematic. And that Dallas has a large homeless/poverty/crime ratio. Do the homeless roam around the city, including the nicer parts? Similar to how it is in some other US cities like New York, Seattle, and even some parts of Miami? Many of the homeless in New York are violent. I don’t want a repeat. I don’t want to make the effort of moving to a new city that is plagued with homelessness and crime.

Thank you again. I appreciate any insight or advice offered. Have a great one!
Dallas city has all three...bug problem, crime and homelessness. Its not the same downtown you are looking at here. Downtown PA city center is allot better than downtown Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas