Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 11:25 AM

159 posts, read 93,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
You should have mentioned this to begin with... You can't compare this home with others in the surrounding area that have a yard. Zero-lot line homes appeal to a distinct cross-section of buyers... In my opinion, there's very little overlap between buyers willing to buy a zero lot line home and ones who are shopping in a general price range/location.

Most people around here want as much space as they can afford, inside and outside the home.
Which further leads to confusion.

Everyone I know wants the biggest house possible with no exterior maintenance, but then they want to buy a 2 acre lot with huge yards that require excessive maintenance. Why?

Also, if there are so many people moving from out of state who are used to having no lot space (e.g. Californians), why is it a negative?

My current home is (I believe) a 60' lot from the '80s and it's a hassle to maintain myself.

At the end of the day, if the main reason why this home was available and may not appreciate in value as much is the lot size, I'll be ok with it - largely because on the front end it works out to our advantage.

Pay less upfront - get less later
Pay more upfront - get more later

The time value of the money is constant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 11:46 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EonBlueSyZ View Post

Also, if there are so many people moving from out of state who are used to having no lot space (e.g. Californians), why is it a negative?
But read any post from someone coming from out of state and the majority will comment on the small lot sizes and how they want a big yard. When people move to Texas, they want a pool in their yard. They want a big backyard for their kids or their dogs. Zero lot line houses do sell well in certain areas, but the northern burbs are prime locations for families and the lack of a yard will not sit well with most.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:03 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,409,031 times
Quote:
Zero lot line houses do sell well in certain areas, but the northern burbs are prime locations for families and the lack of a yard will not sit well with most.
Not sure I agree with this exactly. What people say they want (big backyards) and what they purchase (especially with new builds north of downtown) are not the same things. The vast majority of Plano, Allen, and Frisco have smaller lots sizes than homes north of 635 in Dallas proper. Tons of houses have been built in these areas with postage stamp backyards.

I'm actually still very confused why they don't push the houses slightly farther towards the front street. I find it funny that conformity and the illusion of space represented by a big front yard is more important than usable space.

Of course there are some upper class homes and much older homes with decent yard space in these areas, and new builds far enough out where large yards are possible, but that's certainly not even the average.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:27 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,661,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post

I'm actually still very confused why they don't push the houses slightly farther towards the front street. I find it funny that conformity and the illusion of space represented by a big front yard is more important than usable space.

I wish this would change. Not sure why the setbacks are not closer to road as it would help even smaller lots have better back yards. Only thing I can think of is that it would be garage driveway to short.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:44 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
I wish this would change. Not sure why the setbacks are not closer to road as it would help even smaller lots have better back yards. Only thing I can think of is that it would be garage driveway to short.
Really what else is necessary except for a sufficiently long driveway to park a vehicle without blocking the sidewalk, and a street shade tree?

Old 03-16-2021, 06:11 PM

18 posts, read 17,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
You should have mentioned this to begin with... You can't compare this home with others in the surrounding area that have a yard. Zero-lot line homes appeal to a distinct cross-section of buyers... In my opinion, there's very little overlap between buyers willing to buy a zero lot line home and ones who are shopping in a general price range/location.

Most people around here want as much space as they can afford, inside and outside the home.
Hmmmm, this is true for some buyers, but not for all, in my opinion. We bought a zero lot line home and have no complaints. The home is relatively new, has a nice space to enjoy outdoors (patio and deck), and maintenance is simple. Plus, we can walk to the lakes and parks in Grapevine. We do not have young children, so a large yard is not needed. On the other hand, some families would place a high value on a larger yard and/or pool, and would have no problem with the work or cost for maintaining same. In other words, the exterior space is no different from the interior in terms of buyer appeal: different buyers will have different priorities, wants, and needs. Also, we were not looking for the most space we can afford inside the house, but wanted a home with the right floor plan, total SF, and high quality finishes - not maximum size.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:19 PM

29 posts, read 41,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
It is crazy to watch. Not even 10 years ago East Plano, East Richardson, and half of Central plano where all attainable for working class.

Now it's mostly people in the 100K+ a year income range buying in those areas which is crazy (2x the median household income is now what it takes to get into those areas, crazy considering those areas where mocked not that long ago for being "aging working class areas" )

RISD is still outstanding (or at least most of it). Pearce and RHS are still top 5% highschools in the nation and the popular elementary schools back then (Mohawk, Arapaho Classic, Brentfield, Canyon Creek, Prairie Creek, Bowie) are all still highly ranked
So glad to hear those schools are still solid. My children were Brentfield, Parkhill, Pearce and we were pleased with those schools.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:26 AM

159 posts, read 93,186 times
RE: discussion of buyers wanting a large lot with a big yard and a pool - our neighborhood is in an HOA with the park and pool and play area 7 houses away from us. Would this take away some of the negatives of a buyer wanting said large lot?

Old 03-17-2021, 09:37 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EonBlueSyZ View Post
RE: discussion of buyers wanting a large lot with a big yard and a pool - our neighborhood is in an HOA with the park and pool and play area 7 houses away from us. Would this take away some of the negatives of a buyer wanting said large lot?
Our neighborhood pool is one street over (3 pools actually), and there is an 8 acre city park, complete with playground, a 2 minute walk away. Yet both neighbors on either side of us have their own pools and I'd say probably 40% of the houses in our neighborhood have pools, too. Maybe it's just the price point of my neighborhood ($500k+), but a lot of people like to have their own pool or play equipment in their backyard because it's just easier.

We don't have a pool and we visit our neighborhood once a week during the summer. We have to pack up our wagon with floaties, toys, towels, water, etc. Though it's a quick walk across the street, there is some effort required to wrangle two kids and all of their stuff. We go first thing in the morning on Sundays, otherwise it gets way too busy and crowded for our liking. So I get the appeal of having your own pool that you can get into literally anytime you want. But I also would never build my own pool and there are plenty of people that use our neighborhood pool because they feel the same way.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:44 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
Zero lot line houses are the top of my list for my first purchase. I have no kids or pets. A larger yard would be a higher water bill and landscaping charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas