Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 PM

96 posts, read 315,124 times

Advertisements

We just moved here from CA 6 months ago. Spent most of our money on the new house and the moving van to get our stuff over here. Our 25th anv. is next month. We can only get away for 2 days. Where can we go that is romantic and beautiful but not far away so we can drive there?
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:52 PM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times
I would go to the Rosevine Inn in Tyler, Texas.
Tyler East Texas Bed Breakfast Inn Lodging Accommodations Rosevine Extended Stay
It's the best b and b!!!!!
You're only about 80 miles east of Dallas and if you decide to go....I'll give you some great places to eat and things to do!

Last edited by destin04; 04-08-2008 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: adding information

Old 04-08-2008, 11:54 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
San Antonio along the Riverwalk comes to mind. Also, the Hill Country around Austin.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:29 AM

Has anyone hear of echo canyon in OH? Turner Falls Oklahoma B & B, Luxury Lodging Spa Resort - Retreats, Weddings, Bed and Breakfast - Echo Canyon Manor

Old 04-09-2008, 08:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Turner Fallas is lovely--have not been to that B/b but it looks very nice--and there are plenty of outdoor things to do--weather might be issue depending on when you go if you were relying on being outside for entertainment

guess it depends on what you want--staying for the weekend at a LUX hotel in Dallas and doing some of the fun things in town would be neat

if you are into something a little more casual--you can check out the Canyon of the Eagles state park --peaceful and there are things to do in the area
Texas Hill Country Resorts, Lake Buchanan Family Vacations, Reunions-Canyon of the Eagles

Granbury is neat for a weekend stay--has some nice bb places and restaurants

some people like Jefferson but we were there a couple of years ago and frankly I think it is blown out of proportion---not many nice restaurants and we stayed at the Jefferson hotel (ghost hunting) and while it was ok--has not really had some updating that would add to its appeal...

Shreveport is not a bad drive--has some nice hotels and restaurants but it is not a pretty town--there is the gambling that you can do as you can afford...horses are not running yet at the track

or your could rent a room at the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine if you want to try the water park--or the Gaylord Texas which is a lovely hotel and visit Grapevine--it has a nice historical area and you could go into Sundance Sq in FTW and do the museums in FTW very easily...if you like golf Cowboys and Grapevine courses are excellent...

You also might consider Houston--normally I would not recommend or go to Houston but right now the art museum is hosting a Pompeii exhibition that I would love to see and there are other things to see and do there--like the waterfront at Kemah and old town Spring--has lots of nice hotels and maybe some B/bs in areas that might be worth staying in...you might get deal on weekend room since much of hotels are business oriented...

Pesonally I love SA--can always find something to do and enjoy the Riverwalk and other parts of town--lots of great hotels and restaurants within walking distance on the Riverwalk

Fredericksburg is also a really nice town for a weekend and the wildflowers should be out in full force--
drive down the back way taking 377 s-west of FTW to Stephenville--eat lunch at the tea room on the square--great quilts and chicken salad--then mosey down 281 through Lampassas and Marble Falls--do the LBJ homeplace park around Johnson City and then go to Fredericksburg--there is not much to see there but shopping in antiquey stores but there are some pretty good restaurants and nice b/bs to stay in...

there is DeGray atate park and inn just across the border in Ark but that is pretty much for outdoor type entertainment

Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 AM

Wow, Lovestoread great post. It gives me somewhere to start researching.

You mention Dallas. We have been here in Texas for 6 months and never been to Dallas. Just driving though it from the airport. What would be some fun things to do?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:11 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
I was going to suggest Dallas since you are new to the area. Even myself being a native there have been weekends that we have "gotten away" by checking into a hotel in downtown and playing "tourist". Suddenly we have two days to see and do all of the things right in our own backyard w/o having to drive for an hour or 30 min. It can be fun.

Hotels:
Adolphus
Hyatt Reunion
Fairmount
Crescent Court

Lunch at Neiman Marcus downtown (stay at the Adolphus and you can walk to NM)
Dinner at Iron Cactus
Sunday Brunch at the House of Blues Gospel Brunch (I SOO want to do this)
Visit McKinney Ave and ride the trolley, stroll around Victory Plaza
If there is a game at AAC for the Stars or Mavericks you can catch that if it is an interest.
Go to the Dallas Zoo as a couple and be kids again w/ each other.
Go to the Dallas Arboretum. Take a picnic lunch (recent guest was able to get a box lunch to go from a recommended dining establishment).
Walk around White Rock Lake.
Reunion Tower is closed right now
Visit the Sixth Floor Museum and Dealey Plaza

This is just a smattering of a few things one could do while staying downtown for a weekend.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:49 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasorbust View Post
We just moved here from CA 6 months ago. Spent most of our money on the new house and the moving van to get our stuff over here. Our 25th anv. is next month. We can only get away for 2 days. Where can we go that is romantic and beautiful but not far away so we can drive there?
Thanks,
Well first of all congratulations on your 25th, we are going on 29. Secondly congratulations on your move from CA. We moved from Irvine CA last Oct/Nov.

We have been to the Riverwalk in San Antonio. It is nice especially if you get a hotel on the Riverwalk. Lots of eating and shopping if that is what you want. If you are looking for natural beauty the Riverwalk is more man-made but still beautiful.

If you are looking for just a great night out of local dining try Texas De Brazil. You won't find much better but it is pricey. You can join their email list and get discounts but you probably don't have time for that I assume.

Good luck and happy 25th!

Old 04-09-2008, 12:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Riverwalk is very romantic. But if you want to stay in Big D let me add to mom's list - Hotel St. Germain Welcome To Hotel St Germain - Dallas, TX. A fairly inexpensive romantic dinner can be had on Lower Greenville at St. Martin's or The Grape. If you want to stay closer to the hotel, try Lola.

This is an inexpensive suggestion - try to get a tower suite at Tanglewood on Lake Texoma (preferably on the sunset side)Welcome to Tanglewood Resort on Lake Texoma - Lake Texoma's Premier Resort. You walk over to Highport Resort and have dinner and a drink, too -- but be sure to check on that they were doing some repairs not long ago.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:58 PM

Wow, thank you all. I now can't wait to do some research you help me to not feel so bad that we can't fly somewhere but Texas is all new to us.

Again thank you. I love this forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas