Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:06 AM

12 posts, read 41,232 times

Advertisements

Looking for information on Lakewood Elementary. We have a son, 5 yrs old, who is currently being tested for ADHD. We had him in a private school in the area, and his teacher has suggested that he might have ADHD and that he needs evaluation. In the meantime, we do not have a schooling situation for him next year, and wanted to know if anyone has experience being LD or ADHD in Lakewood Elementary. Also open to suggestions for other schools, but we're trying to avoid the big "LD" schools like Winston, Shelton, etc.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Quote:
his teacher has suggested that he might have ADHD and that he needs evaluation
Go to your Doctor and then get a a good child Psych to see him. So many kids, mainly boys are being labled LD or ADHD when it jsut may not be so.
See if he has Dyslexia. Many of these kids are given ADHD label because they get very frustrated and don't won't to pay attention etc...because the words on the page are really a puzzle to these kids.

if he is truely ADHD or LD I can't help with schools though.

Good luck and hopefully you will the right learning enviorment for your child

Old 05-13-2008, 08:13 PM

12 posts, read 41,232 times
I agree with you, not too sure he has ADHD. His teacher just noticed that he "wanders off" with his mind during classroom times sometimes. Who doesn't? I think these labels are getting ridiculous, but we have to at least look into it. We checked with our pediatrician, and are seeing a diagnostician in his office. My intent is not to drug him, nor to get "diagnosed", because I simply think he's a normal boy with a lot of energy.

It makes me sad that the system keeps trying to change boys, while the system should be changing to accomodate these boys!! There is nothing wrong with a little daydreaming, a lot of energy and a whole lot of learning..... he's totally bright and there is no reason he shouldn't be in the mainstream.

BTW, my son had straight "E"s on his report card this entire year. He is very advanced, reads and writes. She was worried he would fall behind next year based on his tendency to "wander" off during class sometimes. Crimeny, he's doing addition, subtraction, writes phonetically, reads chapter books, understands French and Spanish.... and they still want him evaluated because he seems like he's not "focusing".

Thanks for writing, though. We have every intention of ruling out ADHD or something like it. He doesn't seem dyslexic, either. He has no problems with reading or writing his letters! Smart kiddo.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
It would be great for you to get your son into Lakewood and encourage them to have him tested for a Talented and Gifted Program.
There is no full on T-G program starting at K that I'm aware of in DISD, but for 4th grade he can get into Travis and take that through 8th grade. From there he can get into TAG at Townview...this is the school that Newsweek rates as #1 in the country.

Your son does not sound like he has ADHD - it sounds like he is processing info at high rates and gets easily bored - most teachers are not trained to deal with t-g kids and it's very, VERY simple for them to give them an ADHD or ADD label. Do research, ask questions and fight for your son.

People knock DISD for all sorts of things, but when it comes to the magnet programs - not much in the burbs can offer the specialities that DISD can.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:23 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Quote:
Your son does not sound like he has ADHD - it sounds like he is processing info at high rates and gets easily bored - most teachers are not trained to deal with t-g kids and it's very, VERY simple for them to give them an ADHD or ADD label. Do research, ask questions and fight for your son.
I thought the same thing when I read your response. Many TAG or even boarderline TAG kids get sooo bored with the daily work esp in K-garten-2nd grade.

reminds me of what happened to my brother-in-law (1970's) the teacher was ADAMIT that he was LD because he would "daydream" and wonder off etc... turns out he incredibly smart and by todays standards would be TAG kid. (got his masters and PHd from stanford)

YOu son really sounds more BORED with the pace and the cirriculm than anything esle. What to 5-7 year olds do when BORED?? they wonder off or act up to entertain themselves etc...

Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Exactly, 5stones.

I'm so thankful for research and people who take these things seriously. My son was in a situation as a late reader/writer. And after a couple of tests done through the public school he was attending, we found out why he had trouble reading/writing...his brain was firing at rapid speeds that it was difficult for him to slow done and put a pencil to paper, etc.

Every T-G kid is different. Having teachers trained in teaching T-G kids is a very important to insure their success.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:45 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
mwatson@rockpointfinance.com (Monty Watson wWw '83) is head of the Dad's Club at Lakewood, you might contact him.

And you don't need to worry about getting into Travis TAG, most kids do well at Long (see state math and science results or go to their musical this weekend).

Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Raising the Blue Ribbon:

Lakewood-Now.net - Dallas Texas - online community newspaper

After receiving the official news about the Blue Ribbon nod in relation to academic achievement in the No Child Left Behind program, a trip to Washington, D.C., was in the works. The principal, Michelle Thompson, and veteran teacher Sue Coberly headed to D.C., courtesy of Department of Education in mid-October for the official ceremony recognizing Blue Ribbon schools across the country...

...The only thing lacking at this point was the banner — similar to the display outside Stonewall Jackson Elementary — for the outside of the school. The school learned that the banner is not provided by the federal government or Dallas ISD.

Lakewood parents came to the rescue. A timely "fund-a-need" was added to the silent auction for the Lakewood Early Childhood PTA home tour party, and a beautiful blue ribbon was on the school last month — less than a week after the fundraiser.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:42 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer777 View Post
but we're trying to avoid the big "LD" schools like Winston, Shelton, etc.

Out of curiousity, why?

If he does truly have a learning issue, and not simply being a kid, there is no better school in the entire United States than The Winston School for kids like that.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 PM

9 posts, read 25,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer777 View Post
Looking for information on Lakewood Elementary. We have a son, 5 yrs old, who is currently being tested for ADHD. We had him in a private school in the area, and his teacher has suggested that he might have ADHD and that he needs evaluation. In the meantime, we do not have a schooling situation for him next year, and wanted to know if anyone has experience being LD or ADHD in Lakewood Elementary. Also open to suggestions for other schools, but we're trying to avoid the big "LD" schools like Winston, Shelton, etc.
Thanks in advance!
Lakewood Elementary is an excellent school (my son goes there)! Your son is only 5 years old so it will not be easy to determine if he has ADHD or not, and if someone does diagnose him as that I would get a second opinion with a psychologist or psychiatrist that speciallizes in children. Be wary of "ADHD Testing Center"s and the like as the testing for ADHD is not regulated and they will tell just about anyone they have it. It could be another disorder entirely (they all look alike), which is another reason to have a well rounded professional do the evaluation. Until it seriously affects his school work, I wouldn't worry about it. You can hire an LPC or similar to work with your child at school and at home privately if he does need help and I would suggest keeping him in a regular school to see how he does. The average school teacher has very minimal training with special needs kids so don't be too concerned about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas