Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 06:21 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,009,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
I moved to Dallas as a kid from a real southern state. Dallas doesn't feel southern to a southerner but Houston does for sure. Houston gives big city in the South with international flair vibes. Venture to the outskirts and burbs of Houston and the people definitely gives strong southern vibes. I've heard Asians and Mexicans in that city with strong southern drawls.

OTOH, Dallas gives big city Texas vibes with international flair and it's people in the burbs give me Great Plains and Prairie Midwest vibes. Still country but not southern country like GA/AL/SC people. FW gives big city TX Cowboy vibes with no international flair.
I am willing to bet it is because many of them are. Whereas Houston likely attracts more southerners.

This could well be the main reason why Houston is more southern than Dallas.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:43 PM

511 posts, read 400,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Texas WAS part of the Union though...

And also lots of southerners settled south Texas and that culture is still there. It is more of a mix between the Tex mex/tejano/mexican/whatever you wanna call it but it is still there. Until the 90s (at least) Beeville, Texas had a confederate memorial day celebration every year.
Speaking of Confederacy..., I found this Youtube video kind of interesting. Two Fort Worth-area high schools had Rebel mascots and flags flown back in the 80s.

Here is the link to the Youtube video about the news: https://youtu.be/72AAQTouD4k

I also remember that Hays High in a small Central Texas town, Buda, TX had the same thing going on.

Looks like some Texans used to encourage/be proud of their Southern heritage back in the day, though it's my understanding that Texans in general are proud of their state more.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:52 PM

511 posts, read 400,750 times
Quote:
I am willing to bet it is because many of them are. Whereas Houston likely attracts more southerners.

That's true. Dallas had a huge influx of Midwesterners somewhere around in the 1980s. Now, all Sun Belt cities, including Dallas, are attracting people from everywhere.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:20 PM

153 posts, read 110,637 times
Quote:

Very true. I met so many people from Missouri and Kansas that relocated to North TX.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
Speaking of Confederacy..., I found this Youtube video kind of interesting. Two Fort Worth-area high schools had Rebel mascots and flags flown back in the 80s.

Here is the link to the Youtube video about the news: https://youtu.be/72AAQTouD4k

I also remember that Hays High in a small Central Texas town, Buda, TX had the same thing going on.

Looks like some Texans used to encourage/be proud of their Southern heritage back in the day, though it's my understanding that Texans in general are proud of their state more.
Yes. I see more TX flags flying than anything else. In undoubtedly southern states I'd see the occasional confederate flag. I was very proud of TX when they fought back against the Sons of Confederacy bringing s lawsuit against the state for not allowing specialty confederate license plates. A judge agreed with the state of TX on the basis that a license plate is state property and you cannot dictate to the state what should go on its license plates.

Let us not forget that the confederacy didn't represent everyone viewpoint in "the south," as many would like to believe. It represented those in the South that were against the Union. There were southern unionist. The most prominent southern unionist was the former president of the republic of Texas, Sam Houston. He refused to swear an oath to the confederacy. He was a Texas first type of guy. Not saying he was a saint (he supported the causes the confederacy). He just thought a war with the union would be fruitless and end badly for TX.

I'm just bringing him up bc he was so prominent and was a TX before the south type of guy and I'm sure it influenced a lot of people. That pride passed down generations and you still see that type of pride today.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:53 PM

240 posts, read 209,551 times
Quote:
They purposely marched there BECAUSE it is so conservative...
Who told you that?

Old 07-27-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I believe Dallas is more conservative than Houston but I don't know how I would go about figuring that out.
Well Dallas County is more liberal than Harris County. I'm not sure about the cities. Inner loop Houston is very liberal. My guess would be city of Houston is more liberal than city of Dallas. But neither one of them are conservative cities. FW is ran by conservatives but the city is actually pretty moderate. Most people within the city vote blue but won't be vote in municipal elections. Far right conservatism would waken a sleeping giant within the city so most FW city politicians play it down the middle and try not be seen as ultra conservative. For example, FW new mayor is conservative just like the last one and they win by less than 5000 votes every time. Half a million people don't even cast a vote for municipal elections.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:35 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Well Dallas County is more liberal than Harris County. I'm not sure about the cities. Inner loop Houston is very liberal. My guess would be city of Houston is more liberal than city of Dallas. But neither one of them are conservative cities. FW is ran by conservatives but the city is actually pretty moderate. Most people within the city vote blue but won't be vote in municipal elections. Far right conservatism would waken a sleeping giant within the city so most FW city politicians play it down the middle and try not be seen as ultra conservative. For example, FW new mayor is conservative just like the last one and they win by less than 5000 votes every time. Half a million people don't even cast a vote for municipal elections.

Agreed. I think a lot of the transplants to Houston are from southern states....college grads that have outgrown their southern suburbs and college towns. These aren't "bleeding heart" liberals but they're definitely not conservative and prefer blue politics.

Dallas is similarly liberal but the surrounding burbs have been red. Mainly because all the California, Illinois etc., transplants came from all-white towns and feel like Texas is some conservative mecca. I honestly think many of the west coast and midwest (white) transplants are significantly MORE conservative than native-born whites simply because the transplants come from less diverse places where their views haven't been challenged much.

I went to a high school inside 635 (Richardson ISD but resides firmly within the city of Dallas - Go Wildcats). When I was there, the population split was about 50% white, 30% black, 10% Latino and 10% Asian....probably a bit different now. All of these middle and upper middle class white kids gave vibes that made me ASSume they were stereotypical preppy conservatives. Facebook is an eye-opener as most have grown into surprisingly liberal yet affluent Dallasites. Being around different kinds of cultures and people at various socioeconomic levels has informed their way of thinking. By comparison, my transplant coworkers mostly, by their own admission, went to all-white schools and really didn't experience diversity much except in small doses at college and now in the workplace. Most have hinted at their political leanings and they're definitely more conservative than those of a similar age that grew up here.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:38 PM

272 posts, read 246,815 times
Funny how this is the overwhelming majority opinion and I hope I created this thread to further provide more detail but it looks like two people in here just can’t face the fact dallas is a conservative city
Attached Thumbnails
Traditional Values In Dallas?-aa8947b3-2b2e-482c-b767-bc96fd14c803.jpeg  

Old 07-28-2021, 01:42 PM

272 posts, read 246,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post

Dallas is similarly liberal but the surrounding burbs have been red. Mainly because all the California, Illinois etc., transplants came from all-white towns and feel like Texas is some conservative mecca. I honestly think many of the west coast and midwest (white) transplants are significantly MORE conservative than native-born whites simply because the transplants come from less diverse places where their views haven't been challenged much.
As someone from Toronto, a super liberal city, Dallas is very conservative to us.
Conservative to you guys (Deep south) ... would just be considered extreme here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas