Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 14,303 times

Advertisements

I live in Honolulu, Hawall and my wife works for EDS. We heve been considering a move near the Plano headquarters, but now that HP is in the process of buying EDS, we figure we better let the dust settle. I think the HP merger will be good in the long run for both companies. What is the general consensus there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 PM

172 posts, read 510,041 times
As with any merger there will always be a restructuring that happens after it. At this point it is likely that there will be some layoffs but we have to wait and see what HP does. I must say it was a pretty agressive move on HP's part to challenge IBM.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:33 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,786 times
Doesn't IBM Global Services team up with EDS quite a bit? I bet this will halt that!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:45 PM

12 posts, read 41,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Doesn't IBM Global Services team up with EDS quite a bit? I bet this will halt that!
Former EDSer here. Nope, not a lot of teaming up with IBM Global Services, since it directly competes with the systems integration side of the EDS house.

As far as HP takeover, well, it's probably a good thing. It's a somewhat risky, bold move on HP's part, but they have made no secrets about looking for a systems integrator / services company to round out their offerings. They needed an entry point into the federal market as well, and EDS gives them that. But, with that comes a price for Plano. There will be layoffs, there will be a downsizing, and a glut of EDS employees will be out on the market soon.

Systems Integration/IT Services companies are struggling with what they are going to become in the near future. That entire market is being redefined right now..... who knows what is to become of the big services giants and their offshoring / nearshoring offerings.

Last edited by Firedancer777; 05-15-2008 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-16-2008, 12:28 PM

430 posts, read 1,359,444 times
The entire market is heading towards hosted services. HP is trying to get in on this as well.

They have bought a number of firms to help them with this - not just EDS. EDS has the customer base as well as system integration expertise.

The real leverage HP will have will be the new, highly-efficienct datacenters it will build.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:43 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times
What do you EDSrs / IBMrs think about the impact of company culture on integration efforts? Many mergers have failed because of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas