Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 05:35 PM

291 posts, read 202,241 times

Advertisements

I left downtown Chicago after living there about 8 years, to move in with parents in Frisco. The past year I've just been at home and haven't really explored Dallas at all.

I'm 33/single male, and I guess what I'm trying to find is an area that I could temporarily live in for a year before I move elsewhere. The only reason I'm staying in Dallas is due to the pandemic and vaccine mandates - just don't feel comfortable moving elsewhere until that's all sorted out.

That being said - what I'm looking for is a neighborhood where there are a lot of young people (not family oriented), and in a highrise building with a nice view, with decent restaurants/places to shop nearby. I will be buying a car so transit isn't an issue.

I have heard about Deep Ellum and Uptown.. but will either of those even come close to a Chicago vibe?

Would I actually be better off in Austin if this is what I'm seeking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 08:24 PM

625 posts, read 668,685 times
Frisco is way out there. I've lived in Dallas off and on for 20 years and have been there once. And as you have seen - its target market is not urban single young people.

Not saying that anywhere in Dallas would be similar to Chicago, but definitely not an outer burb. I've seen you post before about Austin. Now I love Austin, but I would have guessed that Dallas is relatively more similar to Chicago than Austin (especially from an urban perspective).

Most youngish, single people live in Uptown because its very walkable to restaurants, shopping, nightlife, etc. M-Streets/Lower Greenville is another popular place. The Village has all types of price points and while not as walkable does have the nice brandnew center with a few bars, shopping, restaurants, gym, sport fields, driving range, etc. Deep Ellum is more urban with lots of nightlife (but also restaurants, etc.).

Borrow your parents car and drive around all these places. I am sure you'll see which you may be interested in.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Frisco is way out there. I've lived in Dallas off and on for 20 years and have been there once. And as you have seen - its target market is not urban single young people.

Not saying that anywhere in Dallas would be similar to Chicago, but definitely not an outer burb. I've seen you post before about Austin. Now I love Austin, but I would have guessed that Dallas is relatively more similar to Chicago than Austin (especially from an urban perspective).

Most youngish, single people live in Uptown because its very walkable to restaurants, shopping, nightlife, etc. M-Streets/Lower Greenville is another popular place. The Village has all types of price points and while not as walkable does have the nice brandnew center with a few bars, shopping, restaurants, gym, sport fields, driving range, etc. Deep Ellum is more urban with lots of nightlife (but also restaurants, etc.).

Borrow your parents car and drive around all these places. I am sure you'll see which you may be interested in.
I truly don't even know if Frisco is considered "Dallas" lol. I just tell people I live in Dallas.

So it is Uptown and Deep Ellum then.. interesting. In Chicago there were artsy/hipster neighborhoods like Wicker Park, but I'm more interested in something like Lincoln Park.

Is it harder to meet people living in a suburb? The last time I lived in a suburb was Naperville when I just left college, and it was miserable. Just the fact that I'd have to drive to get anywhere, but I guess there's not much choice now if I want to stay in Texas. I thought Austin would be walkable but people say I need a car there too so it doesn't seem like there's much benefit to moving there.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:03 AM

625 posts, read 668,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
I truly don't even know if Frisco is considered "Dallas" lol. I just tell people I live in Dallas.

So it is Uptown and Deep Ellum then.. interesting. In Chicago there were artsy/hipster neighborhoods like Wicker Park, but I'm more interested in something like Lincoln Park.

Is it harder to meet people living in a suburb? The last time I lived in a suburb was Naperville when I just left college, and it was miserable. Just the fact that I'd have to drive to get anywhere, but I guess there's not much choice now if I want to stay in Texas. I thought Austin would be walkable but people say I need a car there too so it doesn't seem like there's much benefit to moving there.
Frisco is not Dallas. Its part of the greater DFW metro area. I live close to Lower Greenville (5-10 mins from Downtown, Uptown, Deep Ellum). Frisco is 30 miles away from me. That's pretty far.

Uptown isn't particularly hipster (Deep Ellum more so) and its definitely not a 'suburb'. Uptown is more 20s-30s professionals (with a sprinkling of well-heeled older singles). With the new Whole Foods there, you could probably go days without driving if you are working from home. There is a DART station in Uptown as well, but it depends upon where your apartment is as the greater Uptown area is pretty big. If you join something like the Dallas Sport and Social - you can easily meet people. I've also gone to the sports bar at the village a few times lately and seen tons of singles socializing playing baseball, kickball, etc. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...kJeUpU18wouQ3G

Old 11-10-2021, 07:32 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times
Deep Ellum would be a better fit based on the scene you're looking for. There are 2 DART stations and a Tom Thumb grocery store ~10 min walk from Deep Ellum proper. The Bishop Arts District also captures that vibe but its southwest of Downtown and less of a nightlife destination. Great place to hang out and visit though.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:13 AM

588 posts, read 486,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Deep Ellum would be a better fit based on the scene you're looking for. There are 2 DART stations and a Tom Thumb grocery store ~10 min walk from Deep Ellum proper. The Bishop Arts District also captures that vibe but its southwest of Downtown and less of a nightlife destination. Great place to hang out and visit though.
Bishop Arts & Deep Ellum are better options but if you want to stay close to your parents then Austin Ranch or Legacy East/West have lots of young professionals.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:12 AM

91 posts, read 128,666 times
Check out Bishop Arts, Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville and Uptown in Dallas. Drive around, get a feel.

Then spend a day in Austin. Drive around Downtown and 6th street, Travis heights. Then check out The Domain area.

What particularly is it about Chicago that you are trying to replicate? Knowing the things you miss about Chicago might make it easier to help.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:36 AM

379 posts, read 366,515 times
Why not downtown? Depending on your budget there are some extremely nice buildings like Drakestone and The National.

Old 11-15-2021, 12:34 PM

I browsed apartments in Uptown.. the prices are insane. Can't find a decent bedroom under $2000.

Cheaper for me just to move back to Chicago.. ridiculous

Old 11-16-2021, 08:15 AM

223 posts, read 141,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
I browsed apartments in Uptown.. the prices are insane. Can't find a decent bedroom under $2000.

Cheaper for me just to move back to Chicago.. ridiculous
based on your posts and your price range I would recommend either the Village in Dallas or Austin Ranch in the Plano area.

The Village is great if you want to have easy access to sporting events, Uptown, Downtown, Deep Ellum or lower greenville.

Austin Ranch is more suburban/urban. You won't have easy access to downtown, but there are a lot of young people that live out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas