Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 11:39 AM

252 posts, read 209,056 times

Advertisements

get off my .1234 acre lawn

Old 12-06-2021, 06:43 AM

238 posts, read 173,034 times
So basically, Dallas Suburb Stereotype is that my city, school district, housing floor plan, restaurants, parks, people, are better than yours.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:49 AM

1,085 posts, read 695,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaflicker View Post
So basically, Dallas Suburb Stereotype is that my city, school district, housing floor plan, restaurants, parks, people, are better than yours.
Or identical.

Old 12-07-2021, 12:42 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,366,633 times
Maybe better to compare those cities north of, and southwest of Dallas proper with those west of the city like Denton, Flower Mound, Grapevine/Mid-Cities

Old 12-12-2021, 10:18 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,464,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2Dallas89 View Post
Hi all, are there any stereotypes or opinions when you think of the following suburbs?

-Plano
-Frisco
-Richardson
-Savannah
-Irving
-Grand Prairie
-Desoto

I'm just interested to see people's general opinions about each place.
Plano- "We're the first urban suburb "
Frisco- "Take that Plano!!!"
Richardson-"We don't have anything to prove.."
Savannah- "Who!???"
Irving- "Las Colinas... PERIOD "
Grand Prairie- "Yes we do exist "
DeSoto-" Yes.. Wealthier blacks live here..The End."

Old 12-26-2021, 08:26 PM

319 posts, read 229,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
Fair enough. I guess I associate Collin County as a whole with flashiness. Still, I was shocked at all of luxury cars/new developments of enormous houses I saw the last few times driving through Allen.

Well have to disagree a tad here.... Yes there are a lot of big houses, because the people there view them as investments, the luxury cars are usually intro level "high end" brands and likely SUVs and this is because they are family vehicles with really high safety ratings. These are just high income people choosing to upgrade purchases for practical reasons.... look at some of the for sale listings for these big houses... they are full of Rooms to Go furniture, nothing Italian or custom made... that would be flashy.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:42 PM

300 posts, read 291,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
Well have to disagree a tad here.... Yes there are a lot of big houses, because the people there view them as investments, the luxury cars are usually intro level "high end" brands and likely SUVs and this is because they are family vehicles with really high safety ratings. These are just high income people choosing to upgrade purchases for practical reasons.... look at some of the for sale listings for these big houses... they are full of Rooms to Go furniture, nothing Italian or custom made... that would be flashy.
I think that you and I have different definitions of “flashy.”

Old 12-28-2021, 07:09 PM

188 posts, read 377,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
No. There are differences that makes Allen unique within Collin County. Here they are:

1. It is relatively small compared to other 3 neighboring towns in both area and population.

2. Mainly residential, with businesses and commercial/retail at the boundaries. Do not have the super spread out feel like Plano, Frisco, McKinney. Situated centrally to some extent (again relatively) "within" Collin County (read not DFW before jumping with criticism), that gives easy access to ALL (Jobs, Shopping, Entertainment etc.) that Collin County offers.

So, that gives a small-town feel ("relative" to neighboring towns) and an advantage to make best use of the nationally recognized parks/bike and trail system and other family friendly amenities as we feel they are close and nearby without a need to travel to another part of the town which could be at a distance.

3. Education: Many differences that are unique to Allen compared to other ISDs

Elementary: Allen has Elementary up to 6th grade versus 5th grade in other ISDs. We noticed this was helpful for kids to stay at Elementary for an additional year and prepare them for middle school.

Middle school: Then 7th and 8th grades are middle school vs. 6/7/8th.

Exclusive Freshmen Center for 9th graders: There is a Freshman Center exclusively for 9th graders. They are completely separated from high school. This is Unique to Allen compared others.

High School: Finally there is this "huge" high school for 10-12th grades complemented by a STEAM Center, an excellent facility again unique to Allen, didn't see this kind of an exclusive facility for Science, Tech, Engg, Arts and Math courses at other ISD's. Then there is popular Eagle stadium. Recently McKinney built another huge stadium but till then, it was unique to Allen. There are literally TONS of AP, IB programs and every other course imaginable to suit to everyone's needs instead of complete academics or sports focus. Everyone can choose their own path without getting into a pressure cooker environment.

4. Demographics: It's not overwhelmingly South East Asian (Indian) like Frisco (where some neighborhoods and schools it can be upwards of 80/90%) though there are a ton of them. Reasonably/relatively diverse with White, Asian, Black, Hispanic populations.

So, while it is still the same like any other town at a high level, there are some differences that make it unique.
This is so on point!

Old 12-28-2021, 07:18 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,430,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Or identical.
100%.

Identical yet somehow with the need to feel better than the other tract subdivision. You can practically find the bathroom on each floor blindfolded in all these subdivisions.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:08 PM

1,085 posts, read 695,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
100%.

Identical yet somehow with the need to feel better than the other tract subdivision. You can practically find the bathroom on each floor blindfolded in all these subdivisions.
Lol. There will always be that 1/2 bath using the space under the stairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas