Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 10:10 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,114,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post

4. Demographics: It's not overwhelmingly South East Asian (Indian) like Frisco (where some neighborhoods and schools it can be upwards of 80/90%) though there are a ton of them. Reasonably/relatively diverse with White, Asian, Black, Hispanic populations.

Minor comment here that has nothing to do with your post, but it gives me an excuse to bring it up. I keep seeing people refer to the Indian population as being Southeast Asian. That's not accurate. More accurate to describe that population as South Asian to distinguish from the Southeast Asian population (Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, etc.).

Sorry, just something that I have noticed on this forum for some reason.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:11 AM

1,085 posts, read 693,490 times
Quote:
That is what I said - they all are the same at a high level. I pointed out some specific differences, may be minor which I thought are unique. I know people come with force with negative comments, that's why I made it clear in my post as well. Still people do not understand and jump in to criticize. Nature of public forums, can't help.
Nothing was negative. A neutral opinion of once city vs another is not a negative

Old 12-03-2021, 10:32 AM

300 posts, read 290,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
I wouldn't call anything about Allen "flashy" at all, but otherwise agree. All of these areas are very similar.
Fair enough. I guess I associate Collin County as a whole with flashiness. Still, I was shocked at all of luxury cars/new developments of enormous houses I saw the last few times driving through Allen.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:58 AM

427 posts, read 494,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
A lot of this seems like hair splitting. No knock on Allen, but there’s not a lot that distinguishes it from Frisco or Plano (Plano also divides the high schools, albeit with freshman and sophomores on their own campuses). I usually can’t tell when I pass from Plano into Frisco or Allen.
You are right. Not much of a difference when you are comparing at a high level say comparing all Collin County vs. say Tarrant County or Denton County or overall DFW suburbs. But if you zoom in and if one zeroed in on Collin County and trying to compare the towns within Collin County, then all the list of items I mentioned become being hair splitting differences to key differences that helped us make a decision. At least in our case. So, it depends on what perspective you are looking and my post was to point out differences within Collin County towns we noticed at the time of making a decision and experienced living here since then.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 12-03-2021 at 12:21 PM..

Old 12-03-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Minor comment here that has nothing to do with your post, but it gives me an excuse to bring it up. I keep seeing people refer to the Indian population as being Southeast Asian. That's not accurate. More accurate to describe that population as South Asian to distinguish from the Southeast Asian population (Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, etc.).

Sorry, just something that I have noticed on this forum for some reason.
True. South Asian is proper. Or just Desi/Indian/Hindi. SE Asian is definitely more to the Thai/Viet side which Dallas unfortunately has far more limited representation (love the food myself).

Old 12-03-2021, 12:43 PM

139 posts, read 113,682 times
Quote:

1. It is relatively small compared to other 3 neighboring towns in both area and population.

2. Mainly residential, with businesses and commercial/retail at the boundaries. Do not have the super spread out feel like Plano, Frisco, McKinney. Situated centrally to some extent (again relatively) "within" Collin County (read not DFW before jumping with criticism), that gives easy access to ALL (Jobs, Shopping, Entertainment etc.) that Collin County offers.

So, that gives a small-town feel ("relative" to neighboring towns) and an advantage to make best use of the nationally recognized parks/bike and trail system and other family friendly amenities as we feel they are close and nearby without a need to travel to another part of the town which could be at a distance.

4. Reasonably/relatively diverse with White, Asian, Black, Hispanic populations.
These are some of the reasons why I prefer Allen over Plano, Frisco and McKinney. I live west of the 75 in Allen and I do feel it is centrally located in relation to the other three cities. Due to the size of Plano and Frisco, it can get extremely congested getting in-and-out and will only get worse as more neighborhoods are being built. I see less of a chance for that to happen to Allen since it is much smaller in size.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure there are lots that would disagree with me.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:57 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post

If I dropped you into any of the bland, soulless subdivisions in any of the northern suburbs and asked you to tell me what city you were in there is no way you could do it.

From what I remember…if you are anywhere near the tollway in affluent west Plano or Frisco, you totally can tell the difference because of the type of homes AND all the commercial development & skyrises. It looked more like Dallas IMO. BUT…as you go farther like Celina or Savannah, no way you wouldn’t know. There wasn’t anything up that way except crickets, church & football. So…the Dallas stereotype is totally different depending on where you are. I’m just super happy that I moved away….mostly because of my ex but other reasons too. AND…ppl can be unwelcoming to anybody from California.^^ Not directly….but online. I experienced it more than once.

Old 12-03-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
From what I remember…if you are anywhere near the tollway in affluent west Plano or Frisco, you totally can tell the difference because of the type of homes AND all the commercial development & skyrises. It looked more like Dallas IMO. BUT…as you go farther like Celina or Savannah, no way you wouldn’t know. There wasn’t anything up that way except crickets, church & football. So…the Dallas stereotype is totally different depending on where you are. I’m just super happy that I moved away….mostly because of my ex but other reasons too. AND…ppl can be unwelcoming to anybody from California.^^ Not directly….but online. I experienced it more than once.
Nope. Go back to SoCal. If you consider a 7 story building a skyrise that’s just ridiculous.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:05 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Nope. Go back to SoCal. If you consider a 7 story building a skyrise that’s just ridiculous.

I’d love to! \o/ My new husband & I do plan on moving to SoCal…tho we are in the Bay Area now. I’m super excited about it. BUT there are a lot of buildings (edit: MUCH) taller than 7 stories ofc along the “platinum corridor” AND North Dallas does blend along the DNT. It’s harder to tell the difference between North Dallas & Frisco IMO. Tho are you really agreeing with that poster to say you can’t tell the difference between West Plano or Frisco & any other suburb like Savannah & Celina? It’s night & day for me AND I only lived there a couple of years. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by TashaPosh; 12-03-2021 at 04:49 PM..

Old 12-03-2021, 05:03 PM

223 posts, read 141,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Nope. Put your homerism away. You really cannot tell the difference driving through any of them. I do all day every day.
This right here.

There isn't any real significant difference between any suburb in Collin County. They all look and feel the exact same way.

A bunch of homogenous homes with small lots, and strip mall shopping centers.

Allen, Plano, Frisco, McKinney are all interchangeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas