Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 04:05 PM

537 posts, read 450,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Oh that's wrong. It's just mostly run down cheap housing.

Let's hope no one from Fort Worth reads this. They are all afraid we might "Dallas" their Fort Worth. Check the Fort Worth board if you don't know what that means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 04:07 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You can’t reason with this poster. He’s never even been to Fort Worth because it requires driving on a highway. He thought FW was all run down cheap housing.
He also said there's no decent developable land left in Collin County

Old 04-20-2022, 05:49 PM

625 posts, read 667,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You can’t reason with this poster. He’s never even been to Fort Worth because it requires driving on a highway. He thought FW was all run down cheap housing.

So true. I resist engaging with him frequently. His insistence that the only way to live is in an exurb is amusing, while at the same time bemoaning the fact that his house hasn't increased in value equivalent to his expectations (while inner Dallas neighborhoods - "the hood" - have skyrocketing appreciation) is crazy.

Old 04-20-2022, 06:17 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
GG I forgot about that one.

Old 04-20-2022, 06:42 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,086,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
There may be, just not for housing. A lot of open land is private residential property. Plus, the farm to market roads need to be extended and new streets need to be added for housing. Even then, it will take some time for those houses to be close to anything as the businesses just are not there. The big roller coasters are not suitable spots.

I probably should have phrased it a bit differently. Downtown Dallas doesn't have parking lots. Unless you like long walks in the Texas weather or getting to a train or bus stop or paying a small fortune for the privilege of a parking space, it sounds quite unpleasant. Perhaps other people don't mind. That's not a job I would want, even if the house is not that far away. I have driven downtown along Greenville. To be what I would consider close, you would have to be well south of Mockingbird Lane. I wouldn't know about commuting from the west side.

I have acknowledged I'm not too familiar with Fort Worth. I was referencing primarily what I've heard from others and seen from visits.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:08 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
There may be, just not for housing. A lot of open land is private residential property. Plus, the farm to market roads need to be extended and new streets need to be added for housing. Even then, it will take some time for those houses to be close to anything as the businesses just are not there. The big roller coasters are not suitable spots.

I probably should have phrased it a bit differently. Downtown Dallas doesn't have parking lots. Unless you like long walks in the Texas weather or getting to a train or bus stop or paying a small fortune for the privilege of a parking space, it sounds quite unpleasant. Perhaps other people don't mind. That's not a job I would want, even if the house is not that far away. I have driven downtown along Greenville. To be what I would consider close, you would have to be well south of Mockingbird Lane. I wouldn't know about commuting from the west side.

I have acknowledged I'm not too familiar with Fort Worth. I was referencing primarily what I've heard from others and seen from visits.
1. Maybe 300,000-500,000 acres of developable land awaits you in Coco.

https://gis.collincountytx.gov/ccmap/main.html

______

2. You don't know anything about downtown so save it. Downtown has many acres of parking lots.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:55 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
I worked downtown for many years (hybrid some at home and other days in the office). I loved it. I'd say about 60% of our office took the train and the other 40% (estimates) drove. Of the ones that drove, some valet parked in our building while the others parked at nearby lots. Yes they paid, and yes they had a short very manageable walk. No one ever complained about 'long walks in the Texas weather' to get to their cars.

Fine, it's not a job you would want personally. But you're just making up scenarios at this point. At first it was the completely ridiculous and not-based-in-reality statement that there was nowhere for anyone to live to commute to downtown besides apartments and condos. Then it was the pivot to, a completely unrelated item to housing regarding parking and public transit. And how it sounds miserable to you so you'd never work there and, I suppose, extrapolating out that no one else would ever work there.

You've acknowledged that you're not too familiar with fort Worth, but it also seems you're not that familiar with downtown Dallas.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:13 AM

625 posts, read 667,998 times
I went to the office yesterday...downtown (gasp!). I had a nice 10 minute commute from my house (nope not an apartment or condo). I parked...one block away. There is tons of parking in downtown for offices, museums, theaters, a few parks, hotels, convention centers, etc. The AT&T Discovery District was hopping at lunch yesterday - full with life. I had lunch with one friend who took the train from Richardson and another who drives in from Farmers Branch. Saw friends who come in from Collin County, as well as others from Rockwall and Lakewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas