Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:34 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,677,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6 View Post
Despite the negative attitudes of some posters around here, there are one bedroom apartments in well-managed, well-kept properties in perfectly decent areas within your price range. They won't be the largest apartments, or be in the "glitz/glam/i'm-all-that" neighborhoods, but you don't have to be a section 8 candidate or live in a delapidated building with management who doesn't care either (but there are plenty of those to be found- so don't sign anything until you actually view the place in person). Not knowing what criteria is important for you, I'd suggest using a professional apartment finder. There are several in this area (they are paid by the apartment complexes - the service is free to you). They maintain up-to-date lists of the specials by complex and are usually familiar with the complexes they work with. The more specific you can be with them about what you want, (how far you are willing to commute, size, ammenities, stable management, etc) the more likely they are to find it for you. Beats the heck out of calling a gazillion places and looking online for advice, only to find out it is nothing at all like you thought - or have been led to believe. And at this time of year, you might want also what to check craiglist for room-mates or sublets (students leaving for the summer). Hope you find a place you like and Welcome to Dallas!
OP asked for a great apartment complex. If anyone can point to a "great" apartment complex with 1bdr apartments at $600 (meaning no section 8, no tweakers/crackheads/drunks/hookers) it would be a great service to many reading these posts. Otherwise I advise the OP to proceed with caution, I don't believe he will find what he (seems) to be looking for at a pricrtag of $600/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 10:41 PM

170 posts, read 774,584 times
It is apparent that some on this message board have little faith in the city they live in to get a decent (or great) 1 bedroom apartment on the North Side of Dallas. Had this been NYC then yes, $600 would have gotten you a place with rats, roaches and crack heads living in your stair well (for that matter $2000 a month will) but this is Dallas Texas we are talking about.

The good news is that I have been working with umoveforfree.com and have given them all of my specifications. In return, over 35+ apartment communites that are currently running specials in and around The Village area (etc etc) that will more than suffice for me starting out in Dallas.

With that said, enjoy paying your 1,000 a month rent as if I am going to be paying that much in Dallas, I would prefer to OWN a home and let that 700-1,000 go towards a mortgage. $600 is well over enough for someone who just wants to rent a 1 bedroom.

Granted, I've lived in Charlotte and Atlanta and all glory goes to God, I've always been able to get great deals in great neighborhoods with all the amenities I need.

Thanks to the poster that recommended umoveforfree.com

Thanks to all the positive posters who are welcoming me to Dallas.

I will now consider this a dead issue..............

Old 05-30-2008, 04:14 AM

983 posts, read 4,443,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
It is apparent that some on this message board have little faith in the city they live in to get a decent (or great) 1 bedroom apartment on the North Side of Dallas. Had this been NYC then yes, $600 would have gotten you a place with rats, roaches and crack heads living in your stair well (for that matter $2000 a month will) but this is Dallas Texas we are talking about.

The good news is that I have been working with umoveforfree.com and have given them all of my specifications. In return, over 35+ apartment communites that are currently running specials in and around The Village area (etc etc) that will more than suffice for me starting out in Dallas.

With that said, enjoy paying your 1,000 a month rent as if I am going to be paying that much in Dallas, I would prefer to OWN a home and let that 700-1,000 go towards a mortgage. $600 is well over enough for someone who just wants to rent a 1 bedroom.

Granted, I've lived in Charlotte and Atlanta and all glory goes to God, I've always been able to get great deals in great neighborhoods with all the amenities I need.

Your Welcome and have a great move!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:20 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,677,792 times
Quote:

Less about faith in a city than wanting to ensure that one does not end up living in an area less-than-great. I personally pay $900 to rent a 3bdr condo in N Dallas, but I am not in a "great complex." To each their own and welcome to Dallas!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:22 AM

636 posts, read 1,917,066 times
Quote:

Good news, and congratulations to you!!! Please share with us where you find that GREAT apartment in a GREAT part of town for $600.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
really--I would like to know that--my son and his new wife are living in Carrollton right now in a not so nice apt complex (his car was stolen a couple of weeks ago)
so they would LOVE to move into someplace closer to where his job is moving ...
please give the complex you decided to use or just some of the ones they referred you to....

Old 05-30-2008, 07:23 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
The demand for rentals right now is extremely high with people losing their homes, relocations to DFW, ect. I would be suspicious of any complex that has to offer special discounts today. If they were that great with a great price I'd think there would be a line out the door.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:45 AM

Not to mention $600 first month's rent =/= $600 rent.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:51 PM

170 posts, read 774,584 times
Go to umoveforfree.com they will help you find what you are looking for.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Go to umoveforfree.com they will help you find what you are looking for.
Please, indulge us. Rather than advertising a website, please just tell us where you found that GREAT apartment, in that GREAT neighborhood, for $600....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas