Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 09:09 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times

Advertisements

Like going from a kiln to a sauna. The hot season is slightly cooler and much shorter, but don't be deceived. Mid-June 'til mid-September in DFW still sucks.

As far as amenities go, the two metros are more similar than they are different. It's not like you're going from podunk to the big city. They're both Top 15 metros.

Where you'll really notice a difference, as others have said, is natural setting and outdoor recreation. For hiking and camping, DFW blows bigly. Phoenix has mountains, DFW has tiny hills. Phoenix has skiing nearby. DFW requires a 12 hour car ride or a 90+ minute flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
It could be 110 in AZ in the sun, but 95 in the shade (one thing I miss about the semi-arid environment is how much cooler it is in the shade), and at night 85, but in Dallas it could be 100, and only 98 in the shade, and 95 at night.
Those numbers are reversed. In July and August the heat index is rarely below the ambient temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 10:19 PM

45 posts, read 47,948 times
Dallas is interesting. We lived in Scottsdale for several years and currently we live in the DFW. When we first moved here I hated it, my husband loved it but it ad to grow on me like Memphis did when I was in college. I find Dallas to be more obvious for the haves and have nots, like another poster said they can be pretty pretentious. The weather is vastly different but I grew up In Philly so the humidity here isn't as bad as the humidity home but I do miss the drier heat sometimes. It rains more here and gets colder which I love. The DFW isn't pretty to me the southern parts like Cedar Hill are more hilly so there is beauty, but the topography isn't as nice as Atlanta or Nashville to me. The job market is great and although Phoenix is huge the DFW is more spread out and is a different ball game. Traveling here can be a pain, since we moved over 5 years ago traffic has only gotten more insane because more people have moved here. The tollways are a pain and an adjustment, even if you get on by mistake you are paying for that sucker, it's easier to navigate as you find your way around. In your age bracket I'm sure you'll find acquaintances and eventually friends I've worked with some really awesome people. It's a change because both of these places are vastly different to me and I didn't grow up in either so I have no bias, but hopefully it's a great move for you.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:02 AM

13 posts, read 12,240 times
I've never really spent much time in Dallas, the longest I've spent was 5 days. I didn't pay much attention to the people, but I have relatives that say Dallas is much friendlier than Phoenix, the DFW area as a whole compared to Maricopa County. I imagined Dallas was a lot like Lubbock, TX with its small city friendliness because it's Texas. I've spent time in Houston, TX and people were really chill in Houston as well as in San Antonio. People love to talk to strangers in Houston and like having conversations, that was my experience there. I was hoping to hear the same about Dallas. Are the people more pretentious than in the Phoenix area or about the same?

This person said that Dallas has a much better social life:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...fessional.html

I can say this person was spot on about the social life in Phoenix. I was hoping for a major change in Dallas.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:05 AM

As far as humidity, that is not something I am looking forward to. I am not used to the humidity. Having been to both Dallas and to Houston, Houston's humidity was much more unbearable and intolerable. It almost felt like Florida. I will miss the desert and the mountains. I think the DFW may have more lakes than Phoenix and more water. I imagine greener parks too with grass, not rocks that are sprayed green.

Old 10-12-2022, 07:20 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,009,949 times
You are right about the lakes and rivers and it being more green than Phoenix.

I would think dallas is more pretentious than Phoenix, but people will also probably be friendlier. It will not be as friendly as Lubbock, in general smaller cities in texas are more friendly.

Pretty similar to Houston but a little more pretentious.

As far as social life, Dallas has lots of people in their 20s that go to bar and what not as well as people that go to churches and meet people that way. I think it’s a great place to find friends or a girlfriend. Some of the prettiest girls in the whole state live there.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:15 AM

As long as they are nice and friendly, that's what matters. I doubt Dallas has areas like Scottsdale, but I don't know the city that well. Many suggest Dallas has an incredible social life. I also liked how Dallas was more diverse than Phoenix. I saw people of all different diversities there. And the food was so good as well.

Are tornados a concern? Do I have to worry about my home being ripped into shreds and my car being thrown and totaled by a tornado?

Old 10-12-2022, 11:20 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoeilbert View Post
I doubt Dallas has areas like Scottsdale,
A huge portion of DFW is very comparable to Scottsdale.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:38 AM

Really? How so? Are the people snotty and snooty like in Scottsdale? I was hoping that wasn't the case.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:59 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoeilbert View Post
Really? How so? Are the people snotty and snooty like in Scottsdale? I was hoping that wasn't the case.
This is the Dallas forum, and I'm not really trying to throw out a hot take here, but I don't think I'm exactly going out on a limb to say significant portions of DFW have a lot of status-oriented people that would fit right in in Scottsdale. Southlake, much of Plano and Frisco, the Park Cities and various other pockets will have a lot of similarity to Scottsdale in this regard. IMO, this sort of thing is more prevalent in DFW than in Phoenix metro. But DFW is a big place, and you can also find a lot of spots that feel much different.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:32 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,009,949 times
You will find people that fit that description in any metro area you choose. Dallas is definitely the worst in texas. I don’t think the areas mentioned are as bad about it as Scottsdale is though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas