Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 02:10 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,400,208 times

Advertisements

Scottsdale AZ - it's where the American Girl store was in a more poorly designed version of Legacy West in Plano TX or CityLine in Richardson TX, suburbs of Dallas. IMO it doesn't really compare to any nice DFW suburb. More like one of those non-de script Los Angeles suburbs like Burbank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 02:25 PM

45 posts, read 47,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
This is the Dallas forum, and I'm not really trying to throw out a hot take here, but I don't think I'm exactly going out on a limb to say significant portions of DFW have a lot of status-oriented people that would fit right in in Scottsdale. Southlake, much of Plano and Frisco, the Park Cities and various other pockets will have a lot of similarity to Scottsdale in this regard. IMO, this sort of thing is more prevalent in DFW than in Phoenix metro. But DFW is a big place, and you can also find a lot of spots that feel much different.
I agree having lived in Scottsdale and now the DFW, keep in mind that I grew up in the Northeast in Philadelphia so I have no bias either way. I also agree that it's a pretty large area so he can definitely find people and hopefully friends one day.

Old 10-12-2022, 02:25 PM

573 posts, read 335,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoeilbert View Post
I've never really spent much time in Dallas, the longest I've spent was 5 days. I didn't pay much attention to the people, but I have relatives that say Dallas is much friendlier than Phoenix, the DFW area as a whole compared to Maricopa County. I imagined Dallas was a lot like Lubbock, TX with its small city friendliness because it's Texas. I've spent time in Houston, TX and people were really chill in Houston as well as in San Antonio. People love to talk to strangers in Houston and like having conversations, that was my experience there. I was hoping to hear the same about Dallas. Are the people more pretentious than in the Phoenix area or about the same?

This person said that Dallas has a much better social life:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...fessional.html

I can say this person was spot on about the social life in Phoenix. I was hoping for a major change in Dallas.
Uptown in 2015 is not close to what Uptown today is.

Old 10-12-2022, 02:57 PM

625 posts, read 666,373 times
I'm not familiar with Scottsdale, but I have a friend who just moved from LA to Dallas and feels that its pretty similar in uppityness, but a lot more friendly. Dallas is definitely known for some of the best upscale shopping and bar/restaurants seem to be getting more instagram-y everyday. Of course, its a BIG area and you can find a little bit of everything here and it also depends upon where you live and hangout.

Old 10-12-2022, 05:23 PM

13 posts, read 12,214 times
As long as Dallas is friendly, that's all that matters. It's probably not Abilene or Longview friendly, but what I am looking for are the following characteristics:

People smiling when you smile back, not getting a look like your crazy.
People saying hi back on a running trail in your neighborhood.
People starting conversations with you in the grocery store line.
A big sense of community.
No Self-Reserved Culture.
No Rude people.
Being able to introduce yourself to your neighbors without being ignored or having a door slam in your face.
Door holding.
No rude drivers or road rage. I want to be in a city where drivers are polite like they are in Allentown and in Lubbock.
No line cutting.

Phoenix did not have a big sense of community. Probably the only city where people are so self-reserved and hate socializing. That was one of the reasons it was so hard to make friends there. Arizona as a whole seems to have that aloofness self-reserved culture. Having been to most places, people are much friendlier in cities like Allentown and in Washington DC and in the south. I can't speak for LA because I haven't spent much time there except 5 days, but from a tourist perspective, people seemed so nice and friendly in LA.

I sure hope Dallas is not the Texas version of Phoenix. From what I'm seeing, it almost kind of sounds like it is. The only way I'll know is once I live there, I'll see it for myself. People's experiences are never the same.

Old 10-12-2022, 05:26 PM

13 posts, read 12,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherPhilly View Post
I agree having lived in Scottsdale and now the DFW, keep in mind that I grew up in the Northeast in Philadelphia so I have no bias either way. I also agree that it's a pretty large area so he can definitely find people and hopefully friends one day.
I have a feeling I'm gonna make friends instantly in Dallas. It will probably only take saying hi to someone on a walking trail to start a friendship.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:51 PM

317 posts, read 227,759 times
Most people I know that have moved from Phx/Sdl to DFW prefer Phx and many have gone back.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:00 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,021,493 times
Quote:
As long as Dallas is friendly, that's all that matters. It's probably not Abilene or Longview friendly, but what I am looking for are the following characteristics:

People smiling when you smile back, not getting a look like your crazy.
People saying hi back on a running trail in your neighborhood.
People starting conversations with you in the grocery store line.
A big sense of community.
No Self-Reserved Culture.
No Rude people.
Being able to introduce yourself to your neighbors without being ignored or having a door slam in your face.
Door holding.
No rude drivers or road rage. I want to be in a city where drivers are polite like they are in Allentown and in Lubbock.
No line cutting.

Phoenix did not have a big sense of community. Probably the only city where people are so self-reserved and hate socializing. That was one of the reasons it was so hard to make friends there. Arizona as a whole seems to have that aloofness self-reserved culture. Having been to most places, people are much friendlier in cities like Allentown and in Washington DC and in the south. I can't speak for LA because I haven't spent much time there except 5 days, but from a tourist perspective, people seemed so nice and friendly in LA.

I sure hope Dallas is not the Texas version of Phoenix. From what I'm seeing, it almost kind of sounds like it is. The only way I'll know is once I live there, I'll see it for myself. People's experiences are never the same.
You definitely won’t get everything on your list. You should hook up with a group of like-minded people your age if you want to have friends.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:07 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Quote:
Phoenix did not have a big sense of community. Probably the only city where people are so self-reserved and hate socializing. That was one of the reasons it was so hard to make friends there. Arizona as a whole seems to have that aloofness self-reserved culture.
I have heard all of this from people that lived in Arizona. Dallas is a lot more friendly in this regard. I think you will like it.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:12 PM

45 posts, read 47,865 times
Quote:
I have a feeling I'm gonna make friends instantly in Dallas. It will probably only take saying hi to someone on a walking trail to start a friendship.
There are a lot of transplants here so you should be able to find your tribe also don't be naive Dallas and the surrounding burbs have crime and crazies so definitely vet people and allow friendships to grow naturally. You'll probably meet people at work, explore, see the city and it's surrounding burbs and be authentically you in all interactions. Dallas will be an adjustment allow yourself to adjust, get acclimated and enjoy this new experience and watch good friends will come. I don't know if walking on a trail and smiling at someone will strike up an immediate friendship but if you see them daily you can probably start a conversation. Good Luck and be safe when you come, Phoenix is big but the DFW is a different beast especially for someone who probably grew up in Phoenix. Phoenix is the city but it's not the same type of city as Dallas and it's suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas