Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 08:49 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times

Advertisements

Luminant generates the electricity.
Oncor handles the transmission and distribution.
Your electric company sells you the power that you use. Unless, as previously stated, you are in a co-op area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 11:26 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,090,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Luminant generates the electricity.
Oncor handles the transmission and distribution.
Your electric company sells you the power that you use. Unless, as previously stated, you are in a co-op area.
I don't fully understand the mechanisms. I just know Oncor is the one to call when the power goes out, so I tend to view them as the primary entity. I looked it up and saw Luminant was bought out by another company years ago. It appears there are multiple companies that generate electricity.

In talking to other people, it seems the co-ops have better rates and better reliability, although that may just be anecdotal. I think it all probably comes out to a wash in the end for most people.

Old 02-17-2023, 11:14 AM

139 posts, read 113,814 times
I need to renew my contract soon and this is what I've been quoted from Spark Energy.

Service Plan: Price Protect 12
Contract Term: 12 months
Energy Rate: 7.99 cents per kWh
Early Termination Fee: $175

The only thing I am upset about is that they are adding a monthly fee of $8.99 which will only apply if my monthly usage is below 1000 kWh. My highest usage in 2022 was in August and it was 897 kWh.

Average monthly use: 500 kWh = 14.9
Average monthly use: 1000 kWh = 12.7
Average monthly use: 2000 kWh = 12.6

Last edited by Lorne; 02-17-2023 at 12:03 PM..

Old 02-18-2023, 08:57 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,219,204 times
I use Energy Ogre to manage my mom and our electricity accounts. The time and money I've saved is well worth the $10 a month I pay for the service.

Old 02-18-2023, 12:05 PM

263 posts, read 565,820 times
Anyone have a company they recommend that works with solar panels? Would love to make sure we are getting the full benefit of what we send back to the grid. Our contact is up with the current company but don't know if there's a better option.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,411,548 times
I have Gexa and they are offering a renewal in the .18c per KWH range too. Their rates have been fine in the past, but that is almost double. So Bye.

Yours is close enough to 2000kwh that it should be your base plan.

Mine is like 900-1500, with a high of 2500 so it's a bit tougher to choose.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:07 PM

39 posts, read 23,989 times
Color me baffled as well, we didn't have to do provider vetting in the state we moved from, or the one before that, and our contract is up.

Even with the powertochoose site it's hard to tell if it's worth staying with our current Green Mountain, or consider TXU, or other.

Any suggestions from anyone who has used either of these?

From May last year our average usage was under 500kwh and we never broke 1000kwh. It's a 2BR apartment, we keep the thermostat around 76-78 in the summer and 74 in the winter, and lower when sleeping.

Thanks for any additional insight above what I've already read in this forum on the subject so far.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:33 AM

122 posts, read 174,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
Color me baffled as well, we didn't have to do provider vetting in the state we moved from, or the one before that, and our contract is up.

Even with the powertochoose site it's hard to tell if it's worth staying with our current Green Mountain, or consider TXU, or other.

Any suggestions from anyone who has used either of these?

From May last year our average usage was under 500kwh and we never broke 1000kwh. It's a 2BR apartment, we keep the thermostat around 76-78 in the summer and 74 in the winter, and lower when sleeping.

Thanks for any additional insight above what I've already read in this forum on the subject so far.
This is really hard to say. You will need to find a company that you think would lower your bill, call them and confirm. You may need to repeat this step a few times (call up a few companies). There are just so many different kinds of plan, fixed rate, variable rate, fixed with a minimum payment and then anything in excess will be variable; and then there's the contract term, from 3 months to 5 years, with associated cancellation fees. Nobody can just tell you what to pick.

Once you think you have a plan you are considering switching to, call your current company Green Mountian, tell them you want to cancel, see if they'll give you something you like and find out any cancellation fee if you do cancel. Then compare the costs and benefits and then make a decision.

Old 04-12-2023, 05:22 PM

39 posts, read 23,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple44 View Post
This is really hard to say. You will need to find a company that you think would lower your bill, call them and confirm. You may need to repeat this step a few times (call up a few companies). There are just so many different kinds of plan, fixed rate, variable rate, fixed with a minimum payment and then anything in excess will be variable; and then there's the contract term, from 3 months to 5 years, with associated cancellation fees. Nobody can just tell you what to pick.

Once you think you have a plan you are considering switching to, call your current company Green Mountian, tell them you want to cancel, see if they'll give you something you like and find out any cancellation fee if you do cancel. Then compare the costs and benefits and then make a decision.
Thanks for your reply.
I've called a couple other companies, and also savonenergy, thinking they were the same as powertochose and that they would just provide information.

I was surprised that saveonenergy gave me the same kind of sales pressure to chose a plan with them before the end of the call as did TXU and Green Mountain. The difference being savonenergy deals with multiple companies vs. one. Included in that pressure was to chose a lower-rated company, which when asked was given an answer that caused me to mistrust them more. They also would not provide any information unless providing a DOB.

These companies seem like training grounds for future car salespeople, and running on similar scripts.

With the weather heating up I may have missed a cheaper window by a week or two.

Old 04-16-2023, 09:59 PM

17 posts, read 66,592 times
A website that I always use to compare power prices is energybot. I like that I can put my info in and it will show my actual usage to compare with the power companies listed. It then tells me roughly how much my bill would be with the taxes, fees, etc for each company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: