Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 07:56 AM

91 posts, read 133,075 times

Advertisements

Hello, Im currently in LI, NY and am looking at options to buy an affordable house and raise kids in a better school district. I am open to relocation and Texas was always on the list and I keep hearing negative reviews as in its gotten very expensive now, and is nothing like 5 years ago. Any recommendations? I was hoping its still affordable comparing to NY, as per Zillow I see some good schools in Allen, Frisco, etc areas, not sure what is good for elementary/middle/HS... any recommendations? Also due to the heat, is it bad for ppl with allergies and skin allergies? I'm open to suggestions, outside Dallas too... Houston, San Antonio etc. I know Austin is more expensive than NY ..lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 08:00 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,048,957 times
Very bad for allergies. California is good.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:00 AM

516 posts, read 450,141 times
What is your budget for a home. Yes, Dallas isn’t the affordable city it once was. But isn’t nearly as expensive at the big cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, etc. Collin County is seeing a ton of growth, so the prices are higher due to demand. DFW is huge and there are a lot of great places to live in all corners of the metroplex.

Would you move down here and work for the same company? Would you be looking for a new job? I recommend figuring out a budget and area of where job may be located. Then, people can give you a better direction on where to look for houses.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:21 AM

@NTX
Budget under 490k.
I work from home so open to relocating anywhere. The only caveat is my wife would be looking for job as RN and need good schools for my kids. Is it difficul to get a job as an RN in TX?

@TMTEX
Sure I'd move to CA if you paid for my house ..lol

Old 02-02-2023, 10:07 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlights99 View Post
@NTX
Budget under 490k.
I work from home so open to relocating anywhere. The only caveat is my wife would be looking for job as RN and need good schools for my kids. Is it difficul to get a job as an RN in TX?

@TMTEX
Sure I'd move to CA if you paid for my house ..lol
Per allergies you need to reject broad input like offered above. Do a deeper dive and compare exactly what allergies your family deals with and compare that to various areas.

If, "skin allergies" means one of your family may suffer more than most people from contact with poison ivy, sumac and poison oak than much of CA and especially coastal CA would be out - a plant called Pacific Poison Oak infests much of CA. I say that because most people with "skin allergies"/contact dermatitis to anything are especially sensitive to various urushiol compounds.

Just about every time there is a big fire in CA people go to the hospital after inhaling smoke laced with urushiol. A dog runs through a poison oak bush, you pet they dog you are exposed......etc.

https://www.poison-ivy.org/pacific-poison-oak

Old 02-02-2023, 10:33 AM

Thanks. Its eczema as in skin allergy here and usually spikes up in winter. I hear TExas heat might do the same, but dont know. I am looking for mild weather though.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:34 AM

278 posts, read 216,242 times
I would not bother with Texas at all if you have major allergies that you either can't or don't want to treat. It's rough.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:46 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,430 times
Quote:
Thanks. Its eczema as in skin allergy here and usually spikes up in winter. I hear TExas heat might do the same, but dont know. I am looking for mild weather though.
My 9 year old has eczema. Hers always flares up during winter, and occasionally during summer. During winter it's mostly just on her eyelids. I think having the heater run so much and humidity levels being so low is a cause. It disappears once spring rolls around. During summer, it flares up on the crooks of her elbows and behind her knees (probably from the heat/sweating).

DFW temps can swing drastically between winter and summer and I wouldn't consider it mild.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:01 AM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times
Quote:
@NTX
Budget under 490k.

I can't speak to the job market for RN's, but my advice would be to start there. Have her look into potential career opportunities here.

DFW is very spread out, so you would most likely want to look specifically at areas within commuting distance of where she would land a career opportunity.

Overall, DFW is certainly still a more affordable option (significantly so) than where you are now. It has gotten more expensive, but that is mostly true of the nation as a whole in terms of housing costs.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:17 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Eczema is sort of catch-all term for many skin issues including allergic contact dermatitis from poison ivy/oak and similar.

I'd call your doctor and ask for resources that might narrow your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas