Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2023, 09:52 AM

315 posts, read 299,991 times

Advertisements

Since we're pretty much in the middle of March is it too late to realistically purchase my first home this year?

If it's still possible can you experienced residential real estate folks give me detailed but simple step-by-step action plan I should take from now till the time I get my keys handed to me by the realtor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 10:03 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
There are still 9 months left in 2023, so you have plenty of time left this year.

Step #1: find a great realtor who knows the area where you are looking to buy a house. They can help you with the rest of the home purchase process.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:48 AM

...nice. Thanks Christie.

Old 03-12-2023, 11:00 AM

899 posts, read 670,729 times
I'm not a real estate agent but when we were starting to look, I consulted realtor.com a lot. We wanted to retire to another state, so traveling there to get a feel for what houses cost etc. was hard.

Years ago I had a close call when they redrew the flood zones, thought I might not be able to sell my place. Luckily a cash buyer came along. Anyway, when you click on one of the realtor.com listings, you'll see a Google map below the lower right of the property photo. Click on that and...flood...and there's a map. Yep, I'm avoiding that at all costs. Click on noise and you'll see how quiet it might be. They used to have a crime map too but took it off.

Anyway, there's lots of interesting info in there. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2023, 11:49 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
If you take care of your business, it will take about 3-4 months (usually) to find a home, go under contract and close to get the keys. You have to do your work. Also I've had clients take many months because they are not realistic or in a hurry (and a dozen other excuses).

As Christi mentioned you need to find a good RE Agent who will sit down with you and explain the process, hook you up with a good lender or 2 and hold your hand through the process.

If you find someone experienced, it's not that hard and a valuable asset for you.

Old 03-13-2023, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
I'm not a real estate agent but when we were starting to look, I consulted realtor.com a lot. We wanted to retire to another state, so traveling there to get a feel for what houses cost etc. was hard.

Years ago I had a close call when they redrew the flood zones, thought I might not be able to sell my place. Luckily a cash buyer came along. Anyway, when you click on one of the realtor.com listings, you'll see a Google map below the lower right of the property photo. Click on that and...flood...and there's a map. Yep, I'm avoiding that at all costs. Click on noise and you'll see how quiet it might be. They used to have a crime map too but took it off.

Anyway, there's lots of interesting info in there. Good luck!
Thanks for the recommendation. My brother bought a new house in a fancy sub-urban area and he's selling to my other brothers that buying a home is the ultimate most complicated thing in the world, basically doing that to raise his status

When I visited their housing development I noticed that there are about 800 other identical or similar houses in that area. So as an engineer/data analyst I figured if there's a large pattern of repeating occurrences then the act/process that creates the occurrence should be decently common.

Old 03-13-2023, 02:27 PM

46 posts, read 47,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. My brother bought a new house in a fancy sub-urban area and he's selling to my other brothers that buying a home is the ultimate most complicated thing in the world, basically doing that to raise his status
It is not "The Most Complicated thing in the world", but it sure is the most prized worldly possession for majority of the population and a decently complicated decision (outside of work related decisions), especially if one is married and have kids .
I do not see anything wrong with a little humble brag on your brother's part, may be you are reading too much in to it.

Quote:
When I visited their housing development I noticed that there are about 800 other identical or similar houses in that area. So as an engineer/data analyst I figured if there's a large pattern of repeating occurrences then the act/process that creates the occurrence should be decently common.
There are millions of engineers on earth and by your logic, one should not be proud of one's achievement as its a repeating occurrence . Similar to how you had a unique story to achieve what you did, each person in that subdivision/development has a story that manifested in buying one of the largest investment in their lives.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If you take care of your business, it will take about 3-4 months (usually) to find a home, go under contract and close to get the keys. You have to do your work. Also I've had clients take many months because they are not realistic or in a hurry (and a dozen other excuses).

As Christi mentioned you need to find a good RE Agent who will sit down with you and explain the process, hook you up with a good lender or 2 and hold your hand through the process.

If you find someone experienced, it's not that hard and a valuable asset for you.
Thanks for the tip Rakin. by the way, I'm an Army veteran and we have a bit of a difference in the loans we can get. Does this extend the typical homebuying process if you have veteran status?

Old 03-15-2023, 07:47 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip Rakin. by the way, I'm an Army veteran and we have a bit of a difference in the loans we can get. Does this extend the typical homebuying process if you have veteran status?
My husband is also an Army veteran, and we used a VA loan to buy our house in 2021. When you meet with a mortgage lender, ask them to show you the difference between a VA and a conventional loan, and they can show you the pro/con of both. If you want to use a VA loan, it will usually extend your closing a little bit, especially if it is your first VA loan. The lenders say to allow 45 days, but our experience was that they were ready in 35 days. We also helped that along by being very quick to respond to inquiries and provided documents ASAP. The good thing about a VA loan is that you don't have to put down 20%, and there are also some closing costs that you're not required to pay. The bad thing is that those closing costs have to be paid by the seller, which can put you at a disadvantage in a competitive real estate market.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
My husband is also an Army veteran, and we used a VA loan to buy our house in 2021. When you meet with a mortgage lender, ask them to show you the difference between a VA and a conventional loan, and they can show you the pro/con of both. If you want to use a VA loan, it will usually extend your closing a little bit, especially if it is your first VA loan. The lenders say to allow 45 days, but our experience was that they were ready in 35 days. We also helped that along by being very quick to respond to inquiries and provided documents ASAP. The good thing about a VA loan is that you don't have to put down 20%, and there are also some closing costs that you're not required to pay. The bad thing is that those closing costs have to be paid by the seller, which can put you at a disadvantage in a competitive real estate market.
I appreciate the tips @ChristieP. definitely helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: