Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,091 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are thinking about moving from Seattle to north Dallas area and looking for some suggestions as to where we should consider moving within the area. We are looking for recommendations on suburbs with great schools, safe neighborhoods, reasonable housing options, and a diverse community. Thanks in advance and looking to hear what folks recommend.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2023, 07:42 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
DFW is is larger than the states of Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island combined plus the traffic is horrible. You need to get a job before you figure out where you want to live. Once you have that come back here with a more specific area and a budget.

Old 04-02-2023, 08:34 PM

Thanks for your reply. Both my wife and I have remote work and will be working from home. So, traffic or commuting is not a big concern for us. So far, we have looked into Irvine, Frisco, Allen, and Mckinney areas. I was born and raised in Richardson so I am somewhat familiar with the area but it's been 20 years since I left Texas and the Dallas metroplex has changed quite a bit during these 20 years.

Are there any specific neighborhoods in Irvine, Frisco, Allen, or McKinney that you'd recommend we should explore further? In terms of budget, we should be able to afford a home in these cities from my quick search on Redfin to get an idea about the home values in those areas. We certainly can't afford anything in Highland Park!

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your recommendations.

Old 04-03-2023, 05:45 AM

772 posts, read 934,691 times
You need to give us an idea of what you're looking for. Home values and neighborhoods in those areas (and it's Irving, not Irvine btw) can range from townhome/condos in the $300k range on up to well over $1 million for some of the better neighborhoods and larger homes in the areas you mention. If your budget is below $500k, your choices will be fairly slim and you'll face lots of competition. While things aren't as bad as they were a year or so ago, there is still a lack of supply compared to historical norms, and the generally defined 6 months of home inventory in a healthy housing market is not something we have here in DFW... I think there's around 3 months of inventory last I saw.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:19 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Second the request for what type of house you are wanting. There's a huge difference between a $300k townhouse and a $1M+ large home

Irving is not known for good public schools, but nearby Coppell is. Most people who choose to live in the Las Colinas area make sure they are in Coppell ISD. One thing to watch out for in that area is foundation problems due to the soil.

You need to do your research about Frisco and Allen ISDs. Both have very different concepts (Allen has one HUGE high school, while Frisco has many smaller ones) and your kids may do better in one and not the other.

Depending on your budget, you may also want to look at Northeast Tarrant County. The cities just west of DFW Airport (Grapevine, Euless, Keller, Flower Mound) have grown significantly since you were here previously, and they are now known for excellent schools and being family-friendly.

Old 04-03-2023, 10:14 AM

Thanks for all the help and this is super helpful. Our budget is around $1.25M.

Great suggestion on looking at the cities west of DFW Airport. These were not on our radar. Good to know about Allen HS vs Frisco; we'd probably prefer smaller schools in Frisco vs one huge high school in Allen.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:39 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
DFW is is larger than the states of Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island combined plus the traffic is horrible. You need to get a job before you figure out where you want to live. Once you have that come back here with a more specific area and a budget.
Maybe they already have a job?

Old 04-04-2023, 08:40 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW2TX View Post
Thanks for all the help and this is super helpful. Our budget is around $1.25M.

Great suggestion on looking at the cities west of DFW Airport. These were not on our radar. Good to know about Allen HS vs Frisco; we'd probably prefer smaller schools in Frisco vs one huge high school in Allen.
I have relatives in the Allen school district. They like it, but can be overwhelming. We prefer smaller as well. 1.25 can buy quite a bit in both cities, especially compared to the PNW.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:05 AM

91 posts, read 128,293 times
You should checkout the Lovejoy school district. Since you won't be commuting, it's a nice area to be in with good access to what's happening in dallas while having a tad bit more breathing room...

Old 04-04-2023, 09:27 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
For that budget, I would look at Colleyville which is west of DFW Airport. The schools are diverse (unlike nearby Southlake), and the neighborhoods are quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas