Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 01:29 AM

77 posts, read 59,069 times

Advertisements

How do you know hail damage on a roof occurred?

Southern Denton County. Some houses based on our Ring Neighbors app got 3"+ hail but judging by what we saw out of our windows as it was happening, maybe 1, 1.5" at most? Just a few pieces too. I went outside Monday morning after and didn't see any dented gutters, AC unit, etc. Didn't see any shingles missing. Neighbor's windshield was OK too. I keep my car in the garage.

Could it just be that our neighborhood went unscathed?

For what it's worth, we got nobody at our doorbell trying to sell their services. I figured that's a bit of a tell tale sign anyway if something truly went bad they would totally be around our street.

It's just our first time experiencing that so we want to know we're doing things properly and assessing things properly to know exactly when we'd have to get something professionally checked, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 06:07 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashakhs View Post
How do you know hail damage on a roof occurred?

Southern Denton County. Some houses based on our Ring Neighbors app got 3"+ hail but judging by what we saw out of our windows as it was happening, maybe 1, 1.5" at most? Just a few pieces too. I went outside Monday morning after and didn't see any dented gutters, AC unit, etc. Didn't see any shingles missing. Neighbor's windshield was OK too. I keep my car in the garage.

Could it just be that our neighborhood went unscathed?

For what it's worth, we got nobody at our doorbell trying to sell their services. I figured that's a bit of a tell tale sign anyway if something truly went bad they would totally be around our street.

It's just our first time experiencing that so we want to know we're doing things properly and assessing things properly to know exactly when we'd have to get something professionally checked, etc.

A check is very easy with a pair of binoculars, even on a 2 story roof, as long as you can see all roof surfaces. The main thing to remember as you check is look for inconsistencies and what is different. Hail that damages will leave a pock mark look on the roof and vents on the roof as well as damaged shingle edges or when bad enough torn shingles. A roof that is not damaged beyond "cosmetic" (more on "cosmetic" later) is uniform in appearance. A damaged roof can many times be seen without binoculars as "spotted" where the hail hit it. Also look at vents for dents and dings. With binoculars you can see more closely if the hail chipped/damaged shingle edges, left deep pock markets in shingles that have broken through the surface layer and to the underlying mat material. Those also typically look like shiny spots where the mat material is showing through.

Again the key to helping find it is to look for the differences in the roof appearance.

Now onto the "cosmetic" aspect as insurance companies have been changing their criteria for whether they will repair, replace, or nothing at all. Hail can cause blemishes on the shingle surfaces and these in themselves may not affect the shingles ability to perform its job. If you get enough of them they can be very visible and unsightly but again not stop the shingle from performing its job. As a result insurance companies have been denying claims based on just "cosmetic" conditions. Unfortunately if you make a claim it will be recorded including the condition they found the roof in. It should not hurt any future actual damage claims but "never say never" especially with insurance companies.

You can contact a roofing company that offers free inspections and estimates and I do believe there are plenty of honest ones out there. However there are also many on the other side of that scale that you need to watch out for. The honest ones understand that hail can miss damaging a house and destroy the roof next door (I've seen that happen). So they work on the chances they can go into a neighborhood and pick up a couple of jobs for their free inspection efforts.

One word of warning no matter who inspects your roof. If it is the insurance adjuster they will typically start circling the hail hits with a light colored marking device. That crap never seems to fully wash off if at all and you could have them circling a number of strikes and markings visible for a long time if those areas are not repaired. Your house will stick out like a sore thumb that way. If you bring someone in (other than an adjuster) they may or may not try this. In either case I won't allow it on my roof AT ALL! There is no reason to do that if the insurance company trusts their adjusters judgement and roofers have no reason to do that at all.

Another item to take into consideration is if you only have enough bad strikes to prevent a full replacement call by the insurance company and fall well within your deductible to just repair them you need to make a decision on the actual repairs to be done. Replacing individual shingles will leave visible differences on the roof surface even if the roofer uses the same model and color you had. Normal wear and production lot differences can cause enough color/shade differences to be visible. A good roofer can help you make a decision on the level and methods of repair as there are choices.

Old 06-14-2023, 12:14 PM

Thank you for all the tips! Never would have thought about the binoculars haha.

Think we were OK but always good to consider everything. Appreciate it.

Old 06-14-2023, 03:59 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Here’s another round of large hail. Southern Dallas County is under a severe thunderstorm warning for ping pong ball size hail! I’m so tired of this s***! We’ve literally been getting this type of weather since last weekend!

Last edited by Dallaz; 06-14-2023 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-15-2023, 03:15 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Tornado Watch issued for The Metroplex and much of North Texas until 10pm. When will it end y’all, when will it end?! I have never been more prepared for heat and no rain ever in my life.

It’s like a bad rerun everyday!

Old 06-15-2023, 03:20 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Tornado Watch issued for The Metroplex and much of North Texas until 10pm. When will it end y’all, when will it end?! I have never been more prepared for heat and no rain ever in my life.

It’s like a bad rerun everyday!

It will end when every CD poster sends me a mere $1,000.00! My contact information is available to all or PM me and I can send you the information.

Old 06-17-2023, 03:12 AM

So once storms clear out, it'll just be hot? Does the summer have random storms/rains/lightning that just aren't severe? That'd be nice if so.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:28 AM

772 posts, read 935,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashakhs View Post
So once storms clear out, it'll just be hot? Does the summer have random storms/rains/lightning that just aren't severe? That'd be nice if so.

Hail like we've been seeing is very rare this late in the year, usually it's March/April you have to watch out for. But TX is known for severe thunderstorms that pass through quickly without hail.

Seattle is known for always being overcast and rainy, last year they had 40 inches of rain. Dallas in comparison, has far more sunny days, but we had 37 inches of rain last year. When it does rain here, it comes down hard in a deluge and flash flooding is common.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:24 AM

390 posts, read 389,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Here’s another round of large hail. Southern Dallas County is under a severe thunderstorm warning for ping pong ball size hail! I’m so tired of this s***! We’ve literally been getting this type of weather since last weekend!

Houston has better weather

Old 06-18-2023, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Hail like we've been seeing is very rare this late in the year, usually it's March/April you have to watch out for. But TX is known for severe thunderstorms that pass through quickly without hail.

Seattle is known for always being overcast and rainy, last year they had 40 inches of rain. Dallas in comparison, has far more sunny days, but we had 37 inches of rain last year. When it does rain here, it comes down hard in a deluge and flash flooding is common.
I'm good with rain/storms in summer. Break from overbearing sun haha. Good to know they're not hail producers usually in summer. Or at least big ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas