Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating from Canada, family oriented neighborhood, work location Richardson, Murphy, Plano schools, larger lots, close to the city, West Plano, Canyon Creek neighborhood, elementary schools

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:07 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times

Advertisements

OK, let me tee them all up, one at a time, working backwards.

For a job at 75 and Geo. Bush, I don't see how Frisco could possibly be an easier commute than McKinney. McKinney would be straight down 75. Frisco would be down the Tollway - both are crazy in the morning, but the Tollway is crazier. Tack on the Geo. Bush stretch (granted, that will be free-flowing) and you're looking at an extra 10 minutes at least.

If you absolutely NEED a basement, you can get one built, but it will cost you so much money that it's not worth it. There is a development in McKinney that Toll Bros. built about 8 years ago with walk-out basements, and there's another development over on the Ft. Worth side. Otherwise, the unicorn analogy applies.

Canuckmom's analysis is pretty much spot-on.

Of course, the Murphy folks turned out in droves for the bond election - the lion's share of the money is being spent on all the new schools are being built on that side of town. I'm not sure that makes good evidence about them being involved. As Canuckmom noted, the secondary schools are sketchy in the east cluster. That will likely change as the east part gets built out with $400K+ homes. The Collin County rep for the National Spelling Bee the last 2 years is from Murphy Middle School.

For my own take, I'd look at the Plano ISD portion of Richardson. You'd be only a few minutes away from your job. And if you think your local school is no good, take advantage of Plano ISD's liberal intra-district transfer policy to send your kids to one of the other 40+ elementary schools in the district.

If you want to look in Plano itself, Wentworth and Deerfield would be two neighborhoods that would have the size you're looking for at your price point. Houses would be 10 years old or less. Caution - parts of Deerfield are in Frisco ISD.

One of the large DFW real estate firms has a very handy online map search feature that would allow you to target homes in a certain price range, age, size, etc., located near your job location. I can't give out the name, but if you like to buy things online at auction, you'd be only one letter away.

Last edited by Big G; 06-03-2008 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:18 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
You're right, voter turnout for the bond alone isn't enough to show that they are involved. But that's an ongoing turnout. These people are incredibly dialed in and involved. It's amazing to me. I find more people active in the community here than I ever did in Garland.

And I don't know a dad of an elementary student that hasn't volunteered a day for the WatchDOGS. And the whole neighborhood knows about the successes at the schools. People without kids support the PTA auctions with donations and by bidding on items. They turnout for shows and presentations, even if their kids aren't in them. We had the Murphy MS theater group perform at the City Council meeting Monday night in honor of their top awards for the year. It was a packed house with all the moms and dads there for their kids. I know a lot of places that would have been a "call me when you need to be picked up" event.

I realized something about Murphy after this weekend. I attended the Memorial Day event at the cemetary on Friday to honor those buried there that helped to found Murphy (put on by the Murphy Cemetary Association and the Murphy Middle School Junior Historians). 100 people of all ages not counting the volunteers (or the buried ones). And Saturday was the Murphy Vendor Fair. 105 booths of companies in Murphy or owned by people in Murphy. Lots of small business owners. But tons of families out there. It was a real community event as opposed to just another vendor fair. We saw dozens of people we knew.

It occured to me that Murphy is still a small town with regards to the community feel. People turn out for elections (20% average) because most care a lot and know at least one of the candidates. You run into people you know everytime you leave the house (for better or worse ). You know what fundraisers are going on and for what. You know the police and firefighters and they come out for neighborhood events. You know the kids in the neighborhood and chances are can name at least 2 teachers at any school even if you don't have kids there.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:41 PM

5 posts, read 6,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieBrown View Post
Hi,

FYI - the reason that everyone up North has basements, is because you have to build your foundation, below the freezing line, so your home does NOT shift. Since the ground in Texas does not freeze, there is no NEED for basements. THAT is why people in Texas don't have basements. :-)
Thanks Annie,

I understand that, and wasn't trying to suggest it was a good or bad thing, just reality as I've been told by a few people. I like having a basement to store stuff, and since the vast majority of houses in TX don't have basements, I was told to look for houses with 3 (or even 4) car garages.

If someone has a house with only a 2 car garage, and they also have 2 cars, where do they store their "stuff" (Christmas decorations, kids toys, off-season clothes, etc)?

Cheers

Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckmom View Post
We are fellow Canucks, but have lived stateside going on 13 years. This is our second time living in the DFW area. Hubby also works in Richardson, off Campbell Road (near 75).

Our criteria was similar to yours - but we have school aged children - so needed good schools now. Also wanted newer house w/pool.

Main cities we considered - MURPHY, PLANO, ALLEN, RICHARDSON, MCKINNEY & FRISCO.

* McKinney & Frisco - nice, new - but wanted shorter commute.
* Richardson - some newer areas, but older overall - schools hit/miss,
more ethnically diverse
* Plano - west plano considered best - more $$, houses 15 years old & up,
* Murphy - liked Murphy a lot - high school issues kept us from buying there (this will not be an issue for you/people with younger kids)
* Allen - this is where we ended up - lots of new and newer houses west of 75. Good schools. 20 - 30 min. commute to Richardson. Look at homes in Twin Creeks, Star Creek, Waterford Park, Waterford Trails etc...

Good luck with your search! I am happy to answer any other questions you might have.
Canuckmom, thanks for this reply. It will definately help. I've heard that Lucas is another place to consider because it tends to have larger lots than Allen, and is in the "best" school district (lovejoy?)? Any opinion?

I have to say, the whole school district thing is very new/different for me. Where I'm from, the big concern is primarily around having a school in your neighbourhood so your kids don't have to be bussed. Quality of education is realtively high across the city/province/country.

Another question I do have is around the cost of utilities. I understand that electrical is quite expensive in the summer ($600-800/month). But are there other concerns? I would imagine heating costs are low. What about water/sewer? Do you have to pay for garbage pick-up and recycling? Are there other fees which might seem high and/or unexpected to someone moving from Canada?

Cheers

Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 PM

Another question - my wife will be staying @ home with the kids. Would the places mentioned have lots of other women (or men) in the same situation?

I'll have the ability to meet new people at work, but I'm concerned that she'll feel shut out if everyone in the neighbourhood works all day.

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:51 AM

161 posts, read 725,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanucks View Post
Another question - my wife will be staying @ home with the kids. Would the places mentioned have lots of other women (or men) in the same situation?

I'll have the ability to meet new people at work, but I'm concerned that she'll feel shut out if everyone in the neighbourhood works all day.

Thanks.
Stay at home moms seem pretty abundant in many of the newer developments we saw. If you look at neighborhoods with playgrounds, community pools, hiking, biking trails you tend to find people out'n'about - many with young children. Lots of communities also have organized play groups for kids and moms.

My neighborhood, (Star Creek) for example, has a Book Club, Ladies Night Out, Ladies Bunko (dice game), Halloween parties, pool parties etc...even a guy's poker night - ALL of these venues are great places to meet your neighbors!

FYI....One neighborhood we looked at in Murphy (Rolling Ridge) has driveway or cul-de-sac get togethers for families on a regular basis!

Yes, Lovejoy - did consider areas that fed into Lovejoy schools. My particular situation, of having an ADHD child (8th grader) with mild learning disabilities, led me to other school districts which I felt would be more supportive in helping him. In fact, we really liked Stacey Ridge Estates and looked at everything there. Its in Allen, but attends Lovejoy schools. Do, however, check out the "other" Lovejoy ISD webpage - the "unofficial" one!

We did look at Fairview/Lucas/Parker as well. While we certainly did want a bigger lot than what we ended up with, there were few trees in the new areas and a number of subdivisions don't allow to put up fences and still use septic!!! Plus, it can be difficult for your kids to just run across the street to their friends houses when it's 1/4mile away! And watering, fertilizing & cutting 1/2 acre of grass in 90 + heat is no picnic. JMHO (just my opinion)!

Financial Concerns - [b][i]no state income tax, but property [/I]taxes [/B]high compared to where we have lived before. In Allen, we are paying 2.36%. So for a $450,000 house, you need to add about $900/month to your mortage pmts.

Homeowners Assoc. Fees
- mandatory charges in "planned neighborhoods" - used to pay for common area lansdscaping, pool/playground maintenance, architechural control - can be up to $600 or more per year.

Feel free to send me a private message if you like.....

Thx......canuckmom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas