Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 03:22 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times

Advertisements

And it's not like we know who are legals and who aren't when they apply. You are not allowed to call SSA to verify if it's a match between name and number prior to hiring. You can call after you hire them and then SSA says it's a match or it's not a match. If it's not a match - they are illegal - you can't fire them based on their resident status. That's discriminatory. All you can do is ask them for a new name and number. They give you new info which buys them another year of working until the employer gets their yearly list from SSA of empoyees who have bad matches.

Now, I guess SSA is saying you have 90 days or something to get the new name and number. This is new. The illegals are scared and know they will have to leave.

Maybe if the positions didn't have the reputation of being ones that were filled by illegals, that would bring in legal applicants - high school dropouts, GED, high school grads would be fine. They just have to show up when they are supposed to and do the job.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:41 PM

41 posts, read 194,982 times
You don't "see" them in every area because you aren't looking. Every suburb, even Plano, has it's lower income areas, trailer parks, small lower end apartments, you'll find them there.

South Dallas, Oak Cliff, Pleasant Grove, Garland, all are teeming with them. Because you don't see them in your neighborhood doesn't mean they are not there. You see them on the landscape trucks, the plumbers, the new subdivision going up next to you.

I lived in Dallas for 54 years until retiring and moving to Honolulu. I maintained a Landscape business for 24 of those years and I know I hired illegals, not willingly, but with great forgerys and convincing documents, you have done the best you can.

If you don't look at the sides of your local 7-11's in the morning and don't see the crowd waiting for work, all over the Metro Plex, your not looking hard enough, or maybe don't want to see.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Who used to fill all these jobs before the illegals came in? Our legal population has been growing for years so why are there now not enough employees to go around? Was some of the work done by people who had green cards and then went back home when the season was over?

Of course the illegals don't need to be paid as much as the rest of us do. They don't need health insurance, auto insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, etc. They have no comprehension as how to be self-supporting in our country. Neither do they live one family to a house~often many live in one house which definitely cuts down on the cost of living.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:58 PM

990 posts, read 2,302,731 times
lol. I work in McKinney. They are in McKinney. Most definitely.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:08 PM

41 posts, read 194,982 times
Years ago, when illegals first began arriving there was the 'Brasero" program that the Federal Government and FDR instituted to bring fruit pickers specifically to California and other states for the crops.

Word of mouth quickly spread about the easy work, pay and ease of passage. The program ended, but the influx never did. There have been several roundups and mass deportations over the years, especially during the war years when on at least one occasion Navy personel and legal and illegal immigrants rioted over racial issues.

Who used to do the jobs?? We used to do the jobs, but with added affluence, larger salaries, larger Government assistance, those jobs fell to those willing to do them.O

Over a couple of decades, large lawn care firms were born, large farming operations got bigger, construction boomed, restaurants boomed, houses that once had stay at home moms now needed housekeepers and nannies....and they would work for less, much less than the average Amercian would work for, and still do.

I owned and operated one of those self said landscape companies for over 20 years. In the early years I would go out and mow and drive and everything with them, I used to ask if they wanted to eventually become an American citizen. Overwhelmingly the answer was " Pues No, Ya tengo mi Tierra" or no, I already have a country. They wanted the money to send home plain and simple, the other added things that come with it, and now burden every aspect of government aid, well just came with it.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 21,073 times
The whole north american continent has a horrible illegal immigration problem and has had for the past three hundred years!!! And boy those people breed fast! In just two hundred years look at the logarhythmic explosion!

With that being said There really is not a "problem". The bums you see under the overpasses are predominantly white. The bums that come into my place of business to beg, which is in a highly hispanic neighborhood, have all been white. We do have a horrible bum problem...don't take your kids to the downtown public library...it is really a public urinal!!! When we took a trip to the library we ended up having to go to a bar in deep elum in order to find a clean bathroom!!! And the bums are of all denominations.

Most of us in Dallas happen to think the sillies in Farmers Branch are a national joke. There is even a club of folks (white folks) who make it a hobby to go into farmers branch for dinner and speak only spanish.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:07 AM

111 posts, read 238,080 times
[/quote]
Most of us in Dallas happen to think the sillies in Farmers Branch are a national joke. There is even a club of folks (white folks) who make it a hobby to go into farmers branch for dinner and speak only spanish.[/quote]

LOL! Good for them! I agree with others, that DFW has a lot of illegal immigrants - but it's not nearly as big a problem as some people are making it out to be. Most illegals work very hard - and they are generally the ones being exploited by all of us who enjoy lower cost goods and services as a result.

If all illegals in Texas were forced back to their home country, the economy here would really suffer. A lot of American jobs would be lost as well as the ones now taken by illegals.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:46 AM

454 posts, read 1,338,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
Yes, Dallas is FULL of Illegals! I'm from there ~ lived there for YEARS and still work in Dallas at least once a month. Illegals are a huge problem, as they are in any city. You will find them working everywhere, living in every suburb. You can not insulate or isolate yourself from them completely ~ unless you live in a castle surrounded by a moat.
Wow... they sound like roaches.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
No, "this poster" hasn't blown it completely out of proportion. And the first poster, stargazer agrees with me. I'm native, too. Born and raised. Live and work in both Dallas and San Francisco - and the question was whether or not Dallas had a large influx of Illegals. Yes, we do. Because you don't see them at your local Super-Target does not really qualify as illegals being here or not.

You employ truck drivers. I'm not sure you'd get too many calls for illegal hispanic women to do that job. They are, however, in every restaurant whether you see them or not, in every store whether you see them or not - possibly you should look at your neighbor just north, Farmer's Branch. It's so bad there the town is fighting back and winning against these illegals. And they are winning. The only thing that seperates Dallas from Farmer's Branch is 635. Ever go down to Oak Cliff? Ever go into East Dallas? Ever drive up to Carrollton? Or Irving? Or downtown Dallas?? Hispanic labor moves it.
Hey, how do you tell which ones are illegal? I want to be sure to know so I can run away very fast when I see them.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
I have been through this immigration process and am a legal immigrant. From my experience, American Citizens have very limited knowledge about the immigration system. Contrary to popular prejudice, it is _extremely_ difficult to become a citizen and it also takes a VERY long time (because of huge backlogs).

We, as a society, create a very enticing market for illegal immigrants and then some ***** about their presence.
There is a big demand for cheap labor because people want convenience without huge cost. Lawncare, Fastfood, Janitors, Nannys, home construction etc.
All those shiny new houses in the shiny new suburbs with the convenient life - not possible without cheap labor.

So we offer those low paying jobs that don't attract legal residents (which includes citizens) but attract illegal residents (mostly from Mex).
And the immigration law does NOT have a provision for letting in low skilled workers.

We all either have to pay A LOT MORE for our convenient lifestyle or change the immigration laws or stop bitching about illegal immigrants.

I, personally, can't stand people who enjoy the fruit of illegal immigrant's labor and then complain about their presence. This is a severe lack of morals and a big character flaw.
EXCELLENT post, Galore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas