Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,279 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Dallas area and would like to rent a house near my husbands office in Arlington. I would like to send my daughter to a Catholic school. We have been told by residents that Keller, Grapevine, South Lake is better for us. I would like to live in a middle of the road place with a 20 to 30 minute commute for my husband and myself.
Can we live in Arlington? and find a private school for my daughter? I found Holy Trinity and Holy Rosary. Any opinions out there on the area and the schools?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 10:30 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl1136 View Post
We are moving to the Dallas area and would like to rent a house near my husbands office in Arlington. I would like to send my daughter to a Catholic school. We have been told by residents that Keller, Grapevine, South Lake is better for us. I would like to live in a middle of the road place with a 20 to 30 minute commute for my husband and myself.
Can we live in Arlington? and find a private school for my daughter? I found Holy Trinity and Holy Rosary. Any opinions out there on the area and the schools?

Thanks
Depending on the budget you may want to add Grand Praire, Mansfield and Irving to your list (houses cheaper than the cities you listed). I am not sure of the catholic schools in the area but hopefully someone in the are will chime in.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:26 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
of course you can live in Arlington--you can live anyplace you want to--

the question you are not asking is will we be HAPPY if we live in Arlington--
that is much more difficult and personal question...

there are catholic schools in other parts of Tarrant co--some in Mid-Cities--
this is link to list of private schools--not sure how accurate it still is
Tarrant County Private Schools

Arlington has a school district that has some good and some not so good schools
has growing number of lower socioeconomic families--
Arlington is a city that has a shrinking pool of families that earn high dollars--the avg income for families in Arlington has been dropping over the past 10 years---
There is no public transportation system in a city that has a LARGE physical size, a major hospitality industry where workers are paid min wage usually and need public transportation, a large public university and an aging system of surface streets...
article in FTW paper several months ago said that Arlington was one of the most expensive cities around for people who are poor to live in--not that YOU are poor--

I would not recommend people move to Arlington unless they have real desire to do so to meet their needs...either for work or family reasons--it does have some very pretty neighborhoods but many of them are in areas where schools are weak...

the cowboy stadium is not going to save that town but it is a hugh distraction from what is really needed...and taxes are going up because of it...

the questions are WHERE is your husband working (and how long is he likely to be there)
HOW MUCH can you spend on home if you are paying for private school---
Southlake is very desireable area for many people but most homes are over 400K and taxes are high

a 20 min drive sounds like not a big thing but with the road system in the Metroplex as it is and the amount of traffic being what it is--20 min can grow into 30-45 pretty easily...

Old 06-12-2008, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,279 times
Thank you so much. I am going to Dallas at the end of the month and start to see what feels right. I will not plan on Arlington being an option. You have all been very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas