Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 PM

130 posts, read 387,008 times

Advertisements

Forgive me upfront, but I have to ask this since Dalllas is technically the south...what is the tolerance level or possible ignorance present there regarding interracial marriage (white man/black woman) ??? Are there any other couples present there? I am planning a trip from Southern Cali and I would like a heads up before I get there. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,751,787 times
Nope, none at all. Our border patrol works on that. ;-)

Actually, that doesn't seem to be an issue at all around here. Or at least in the areas I frequent. I was in Garland and no problems there. And now I'm in Murphy and have 3 interracial couples as friends here in the neighborhood and there's actually a few more that I know have moved in during the last year that I haven't had the chance to meet yet.

Dallas is less "the South" than it is Texas. And Texas is actually pretty forward thinking in it's major metrolpolitan areas.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:19 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,436,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
Forgive me upfront, but I have to ask this since Dalllas is technically the south...what is the tolerance level or possible ignorance present there regarding interracial marriage (white man/black woman) ??? Are there any other couples present there? I am planning a trip from Southern Cali and I would like a heads up before I get there. Thanks!!!
It simply won't be an issue here. Just like anywhere there are a few prejudice people, but interracial marriage, relationships, and children are common, accepted, and on the rise here.

Culturally texas seems to be where the South meets the West making it unique.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 21,615 times
Hi. I'm a white girl married to a Chinese guy, recently relocated from So Cal, and we haven't found any problems. Really, Dallas is more diverse than many people think.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:41 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,678,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
I agree with the other posters who point out that Dallas is one of the more cosmpolitan areas of the country. It's not really "The SOuth," but even if it were, there are redneck areas of Ohio/Indiana or white trash areas in Boston that are as racist as any part of the country. Or try being a straight, white Christian male in part of the SF Bay Area. Or try being an intermarried couple in trashy parts of the 818 or 909. You'll be fine here!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:53 PM

6,826 posts, read 14,043,433 times
I was talking to lady about this very same subject on yesterday. Went to Burlington Coat Factory and Super Target and saw 5 mixed couples. It's pretty common here. Infact my street has 12 homes on it and we have two mixed couples on the street. It's a non-factor.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:00 AM

473 posts, read 1,569,276 times
Like all the other posters said, I can't imagine that you would have any problems. Welcome to Dallas.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
I don't pay that much attention as it is just an everyday thing here and no big deal. Geez, you'd think we still hung people on the courthouse steps or something.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:32 AM

670 posts, read 3,000,101 times
You won't have a problem at all. Like many have already said there are a lot of people living here in interracial relationships. Dallas's secret I think is it is A LOT more progressive and open minded than a lot of places people associated with "the south."

Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 AM

49 posts, read 186,753 times
Are there any areas within Dallas that are more welcoming to that blacks or interracials?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas