Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 09:11 PM

14 posts, read 28,531 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Ive done a search and read a bit about the "Class Wars" between the Northern burbs and the Southern Area. from what I can tell, the Northern burbs are like Scottsdale: Over priced for what you get. lots of traffic, and one moves there for the name.

Glendale is on the west valley, and is usually thought of as "out there" by visitors or people who come here for ASU. Which is strange because it's just as close to downtown as Mesa. The east valley is all built out, and there is a TON of traffic.

To get to Glendale, you have to go through a pretty rough area; The worst mall for GTA in the nation, Metro Center, for example. But Glendale and surrounding areas are pretty nice. Lots of shopping, new homes, trails, parks... Not to mention Westgate (home of the last SuperBowl). So Glendale has much potential and will likely become the western commerce center of the valley.

I am interested in Cedar Hill because of the beauty. I am originally from SA TX, and miss the hill country will all the rivers and streams. I read a lot about the schools in Cedar Hill and am content with what I've read. I am white, but don't need to have all white neighbors, however, I don't want thugs and coyote drop houses next door.

My questions:
Is there a community actually ON the lake, and is it reasonable priced?

I like land, what area of Dallas will I get a decent amount of land, possibly
on the lake or a creek? 150-200k

Why are houses so cheap in Desoto/Cedar Hill? Are all middle class burbs in Dallas priced under 200k?

Keep in mind, I hate traffic and Love land.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:45 PM

434 posts, read 1,483,359 times
When you say lake in Cedar Hill I am assuming you mean Joe Pool Lake. If that is the case I hope this info helps and good luck.

the communities around the lake will fall within Cedar Hill, Duncanville and Grand Prairie.

was your 100k+ range for the land alone?
If yes you can drive around the lakeridge community and find individual sellers and the developer selling lots with great lake views.
I have also found some websites that can help you do some virtual look ups of available property.
Lake Ridge at Joe Pool Lake - Dallas Fort Worth Lake Community

Dallas DFW Real Estate Lake Ridge in Cedar Hill

Texas > Joe Pool Lake real estate, lakefront properties, lake property, lake homes for sale, waterfront properties, lakefront, waterfront

The army corps of engineers owns a lot of the land that is actually on the lake although there are some lots that you can walk right down to the lake from.

On the grand prairie side you may want to check out
Mira Lagos : The Community new homes dallas grand prairie texas

Old 07-11-2008, 08:28 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,658,261 times
Juniper Ridge off of old Beltline over looks the lake as does some views from LakeRidge and other surrounding neighborhoods. There is only one street that I can think of that actually might touch the lake at the end of the cul de sac. I believethat it's called Cecila Court.

I wouldn't mind living that way but the air quality has got to change. My children had the worst upper respitory issues when living over there as did my husband and I. We are not like that anymore.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 AM

6,824 posts, read 14,054,090 times
The area you are talking about is as close to the the San Antonio scenery as your going to get in in the DFW area. I would say the majority burbs that are not north of Dallas will have a large amount of homes in the $120-200k price range. I am not sure if you can get a lake view for that price but there are realtors on the board who can answer that question. The area looks just like the hill country to me.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:52 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,658,261 times
The court is Cecile court, I just looked it up. It though doesn't touch the lake but overlooks it. Those lots years ago were going for 125K and 100kand believe that they are probably built on now. The homes over off of Mobley, Old West Beltline, Juniper Ridge and Lakeridge are going to be estate custom homes which are going to cost more than 200K . It is a beautiful area and probably the most beautiful natural scenery we have in all of Dallas Fort Worth, it though will cost more than 200K usually. There is a smaller subdivsion over off of Old West Beltline to your right before the state park gates( which are closed and no one has access across) with 2 seperate entrances, called Shady Brook and Chapperal, you could look in there. Those are smaller older homes, though most of them don't have lake views. good luck

Old 07-11-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
The area you are talking about is as close to the the San Antonio scenery as your going to get in in the DFW area. I would say the majority burbs that are not north of Dallas will have a large amount of homes in the $120-200k price range. I am not sure if you can get a lake view for that price but there are realtors on the board who can answer that question. The area looks just like the hill country to me.
If you are open to the Northern burbs there are a large amount of homes in the $100-200K range. I doubt you will find anything on the lake except for a condo in any of the burbs around Dallas. You can possibly find a .5 acre to 1 acre lot a lake for that price range.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:46 PM

216 posts, read 716,502 times
I have lived in cedar hill for almost 10 years and love it, especialy if you like out-door activities like biking, hiking, kayaking e.t.c. I am asmatic and have never had air quality issues even though me and my family spend tons of time outdoors.

I believe you could find a home in the lakeridge area starting in the 220s, though these probably would not have lake views.

As for traffic, the cedar hill area has seen an explosion of growth in the last few years. As a result there is alittle of a bottle-neck on 67 and 20 intersection during rush hour though it is NOTHING compared to what i have experienced on 35 heading north from dallas

Old 07-12-2008, 09:10 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,109,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylEmon View Post
Why are houses so cheap in Desoto/Cedar Hill?
Home prices in the southern suburbs have always tended to be less than in other parts of the Dallas area, but home affordability is one of the area's greatest assets. You can get a lot of house for a reasonable price in a nice neighborhood. This is one of the main factors that has led to the rapid population growth in Cedar Hill, DeSoto and surrounding communities over the past few years.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 AM

14 posts, read 28,531 times
thanks for all the help. I was really surprised by the home prices in that area. Especially after living in the PHX inflated marked for several years now.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
The court is Cecile court, I just looked it up. It though doesn't touch the lake but overlooks it. Those lots years ago were going for 125K and 100kand believe that they are probably built on now. The homes over off of Mobley, Old West Beltline, Juniper Ridge and Lakeridge are going to be estate custom homes which are going to cost more than 200K . It is a beautiful area and probably the most beautiful natural scenery we have in all of Dallas Fort Worth, it though will cost more than 200K usually. There is a smaller subdivsion over off of Old West Beltline to your right before the state park gates( which are closed and no one has access across) with 2 seperate entrances, called Shady Brook and Chapperal, you could look in there. Those are smaller older homes, though most of them don't have lake views. good luck
The person who owns all of those lots on Juniper Ridge is working on a deal with a developer so as he told me "they are off the market for now." I guess the developer will make some changes to capture the remaining views on the escarpment which will increase the price for those lots quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas