Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 25,518 times

Advertisements

I will be working in Irving. "The Shores Las Colinas" apartments look like the perfect fit. They are SUPER close to my work. And the "lake carolyn" properties all seem SUPER safe to me. I visited during the day though. I will be moving from the suburbs (I just graduated . I really wanted to get that trendy Dallas experience and I realize Uptown is the place to be. But since I will work in Irving and I don't know anyone to party with anyway I should probably stick with Las Colinas? Also, SAFETY is my top priority. As eager as I am to ditch the suburbs I am honestly terrified about safety. A building like the shores appealed to me because of the indoor hallways. What I mean is, I do not like "garden style" buildings where your door is visible from the sidewalk. The closed in buildings with parking garages and elevators and carpeted hallways just seem safer to me like high rise hotels or something. Also, the elevator allows you to be on a safer, higher floor. The higher rise elevator style buildings seem to be Mandalay, Delante, Lincoln LC, AMLI, Bella Casita and The Shores. The Shores is WAY cheaper. But it still has the garage/elevator. The interior just seems less updated. But is it safe? Will I regret it? Should I spend more to live in one of the others? I also considered a studio at Post Addison Circle because you get so much for the money. The garage/elevator and a newer apartment and I love the Addison Area. I just worry that being 15 miles from work in Irving might translate to an hour commute on a bad day.

ANY ADVICE? Is The Shores safe? Am I right that the interior hallways are safer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Las Colinas is definitely safe; you're over thinking things. Las Colinas IS a suburb and it's hardly urban/ city core so it's prob not too different than wherever you're moving from.

It's also very much a bedroom community that doesn't compare to the nightlife & activity of Uptown at all (even Addison has more going on, fwiw). I actually think its EASIER to meet people in Uptown because you can hardly walk around the block / pick up dinner/ stop at Starbucks/ etc without being surrounded by dozens of young professionals. Plus, there are so many activities to get involved with to meet people in Uptown- adult intramurals, running clubs, boot camps/ cross-fit tyoe places, volunteer opportunities, networking groups, social clubs, etc. But if you want something super close to work & safe, LC's not a terrible choice.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,549 times
You are fine! It is very safe! The only bar there I guess is "the cellar" which looks like it is going to close.. Very bedroom community. It had potential if it brought business but I don't think it ever took off...

Old 05-10-2013, 10:58 PM

14 posts, read 67,496 times
I too was once torn between Las Colinas and Uptown...in the end I ended up going with the Knox Henderson area and could not have been more happy while I was there. I know that area wasn't mentioned in your above post, but sometimes being around the action beats the alternative...even if you aren't out socializing every minute of the day. I think you will be fine either way, Las Colinas seems fairly "safe" and nice. Just keep your wits about you and excercise good judgement - Btw, I agree with TC80 don't drive yourself crazy by over thinking the interior hallway vs a walk up door scenario. Good luck with your decision, I know it can be a tough one!

Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 PM

291 posts, read 674,639 times
When I moved to Dallas a few years ago, I lived in Uptown and it wasn't my scene at all. I didn't like any of the places around there other than Gingerman and Idle Rich. I lived in a garden style apartment and that was not my scene either. Constant drunk recent college grads hanging out at the pool at all hours and noise and drunk people and garbage on the stairs on the weekends. To me, the place where I live is more important than the social scene. My favorite neighborhoods that I've lived in have been Oak Lawn and by SMU. I liked Oak Lawn because I too like the apartment buildings with elevators and I like the bars by the SMU area like Trinity Hall and Nodding Donkey and the like. Can't really say much about Las Colinas but do know about Uptown.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:39 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
All I ever think of is a Walker, Texas Ranger episode where they bust some drug dealers in "Las Colinas" and the place looks like a Hispanic ghetto. Always made me laugh.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 25,518 times
Thanks guys so much! I am so torn between LC and uptown

Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Go with your intuition. From your OP, it seems like The Shores LC may be your spot. You've expressed more uncertainty about the other areas.

Las Colinas is generally safe and clean with excellent amenities (restaurants, shopping, parks with walking/biking trails etc..). It also offers you good access to other areas in and around Dallas. DART rail began service to the LC Urban Center last year, so it's possible to visit Uptown and other points without even having to drive.

You could sign a short-term lease if necessary. Spend time learning other areas that may better suit you, then move on. Regret will be intensified if you choose a place you're not comfortable with and it's a 15-20 mile commute each-way to work.

Best wishes!

Last edited by First24; 05-12-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,539 times
No way is it run down.. LC is a nice place.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvingg View Post
Thanks guys so much! I am so torn between LC and uptown
If you can afford it, you absolutely cannot beat Uptown. Way more activities and "neighborhood" feeling vs bedroom community in LC. Being able to walk out your door and hop on the Katy Trail, walk to yoga or your gym, walk to Starbucks / Crooked Tree coffee house, meet friends for a glass of wine or brunch, picnic along Turtle Creek, take advantage of all of the arts & culture, etc. Las Colinas doesnt even make a dent in offering a similar lifestyle. It's a bedroom community, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas