Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,061 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24 year old single female who moved to Raleigh from SoCal. I like Raleigh, but I've come to realize its not for me. I'm lucky enough to work from home in the real estate/mortgage industry, so I'm able to move to wherever I wish, but am aware Dallas has a lot to offer in my field, which is a HUGE motivator!

I'm not a big party girl, but I would like to be close enough to the downtown area to go and have dinner once or twice a week without spending a lot of time in the car. Ideally, I'd like to rent a house with a backyard for myself and my little dog in a quiet neighborhood. Also, I'd like to be able to go and meet some young professionals, like myself.

Can anyone help me narrow down the area to places where I might like to live and also places to go and meet people? I would really appreciate anyone's advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 10:12 AM

85 posts, read 199,755 times
i think you need to visit to get the vibe of the area. i too have lived in Raleigh and it's no where near the scale of Dallas! think of I-40 from Raleigh to Durham as one continuous metropolitan concrete sprawled out area with expressways/freeways/tollways and you might get some sense but even then it's still smaller than the DFW Metroplex.

If you want downtown living you just such a wide variety of options. like i said you can't think on a scale of Raleigh. So in other words, its hard or impossible for someone to give you the name of a subdivision like you can in Raleigh. In Dallas its more less, regions/suburban communities or downtown areas. I think it would depend on your taste and $$$$. I think Lakewood is a nice area; Victory Park/Uptown as well as trendy new upscale/pricey condos; the Park Citie$ is also nice if you have deep pockets. Turtle Creek is also a nice upscale as well. Just depends on what amenities you want. All of these areas are close to downtown

Lakewood puts you in the mind of 5-Points area in Raleigh, bungalows, trendy, yuppy, older character homes in tree lined streets; Park Cities is more along the lines of Hayes Barton & Country Club Hills but the Park Cities (Highland & University Park) are suburban self governed cities and are a bit more price $$$$, bigger populated areas and nicer IMO. You see more infills and tear down with McMansions in these areas. But that's how i would compare to get the mindset of the areas close in to downtown Dallas as compared to Raleigh.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:14 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Look on craigslist for Lakewood, East Dallas, Knox-Henderson, Lower Greenville. Some single family houses but there are also duplexes with yards. You would probably like (in descending order) 75206, 75214 and 75223 zips. The Dallas Observer also has a great ad section in the back. The Dallas Morning News has fewer such ads these days but the two categories are East Dallas and Lakewood.

This would be the perfect organization for you:

http://lakewood-now.net/view/page/lwib (broken link)

http://lakewood-now.net/view/search (broken link)

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...fessional+Bank

Also see Lakewood Advocate: http://www.advocatemag.com/pdfs/WIB_ALL_6_07.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by Lakewooder; 07-25-2008 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
If you are going to be a realtor, you may want to consider living where most of the real estate movement is.....and that is in North Dallas (FAR North Dallas, as in suburbs). It's a looooong commute hauling clients around from downtown to the northern regions of the Metromess. Most successful realtors seem to specialize in one area of the region....they get to know the homebuilders, developers, subdivision salesmen, the type of customer for that aera, and the MAP!! Make your work much easier and certainly more profitable.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:48 AM

7 posts, read 19,729 times
Default Moving from Greensboro, NC

I'm moving from Greensboro, NC within the next few weeks/months, will know for sure next week. I'm a 24 y/o engineer that knows 2 people in Dallas. Feel free msg me to meet up in TX as were the new kids on the block, it's always easier with someone else in the same boat.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,061 times
thank you so much for all the help! I really appreciate it!

Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Las Colinas is full of young professionals. Also very convenient to both downtown via 114, and the burbs with the George Bush Turnpike and I635 just a short drive away. Me and my wife moved here a little while back and love it. We had lived in the burbs for a while, and then we left Texas to live in Knoxville, TN. Moved back and Las Colinas is definitely a nice place to be.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Homes | Real Estate for Rent | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas

Homes | Real Estate for Rent | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas

I would love to know where the home is for $895 in Lakewood Elementary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: