Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 07:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times

Advertisements

There was no reason for Dallas to over react over Ike hitting them. Hurricanes that make land fall on the Texas coast don't ever travel that far west. Dallas just experienced the very outer edges of Ike which was nothing more than a little wind & rain. The usual path (which I expected it to be) for hurricanes in Texas is right along the Texas-Louisiana border & the eye this time pushed a little further west right over Tyler which is VERY unusual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 08:41 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,241,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
There was no reason for Dallas to over react over Ike hitting them. Hurricanes that make land fall on the Texas coast don't ever travel that far west. Dallas just experienced the very outer edges of Ike which was nothing more than a little wind & rain. The usual path (which I expected it to be) for hurricanes in Texas is right along the Texas-Louisiana border & the eye this time pushed a little further west right over Tyler which is VERY unusual.

I agree 100%, thank god someone has an understanding or how hurricanes work. The stores were being mobbed, people stocking up on food, batteries, and generators.

My mom said they were out of bottled water where she shops. A friend of mine had a coworker who was in such a panic they had to leave early to get batteries and a generator.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:18 PM

8 posts, read 22,919 times
I have to say...I was a little dissappointed....I was all geared up for a day or evening of a good storm...lightening,thunder....and what do we get.....drizzle!! Oh well...the book is still good!

Old 09-13-2008, 09:35 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Go back and look at the historical hurricane tracks from 1871-2007. It's not common but also not unusual for hurricanes to track near the DFW area. Truth be told if that cold front that's draped from NE to SW over the midwest weren't there the center of the storm could have very likely gone between Fort Worth and Abilene.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:05 AM

434 posts, read 1,482,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
I agree 100%, thank god someone has an understanding or how hurricanes work. The stores were being mobbed, people stocking up on food, batteries, and generators.

My mom said they were out of bottled water where she shops. A friend of mine had a coworker who was in such a panic they had to leave early to get batteries and a generator.

better safe than sorry

Old 09-14-2008, 04:25 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,434,349 times
I sure thought we were going to get a lot more rain and winds from Ike here in the Dallas area, but we hardly got anything. Everybody was like panicing and buying generators and extra food for nothing. I was kinda hoping for some rain, but all we got was a little bit. Oh well, atleast it didn't flood. The hurricane went more east than they thought and East Texas got hammered. My parents were relieved that it didn't get bad here as they were leaving for Las Vegas Saturday night and hoping that their flight didn't get cancelled.

To all the Houston, Galveston, and Gulf coast residents: Our thoughts and prayers are with all of yall and hope that yall can get back to normal soon.

Last edited by $DFW8$; 09-14-2008 at 04:42 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 11:30 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Well, I don't ever remember us having anything "hurricane" strength in the Dallas area. This one was a breeze. Less wind and a little more moisture than we got w/ Rita. For some reason the Midwest always gets the brunt of these storms.

However, we are going to see the "run" on items on store shelves. It won't be for us or anyone "getting prepared" but rather due to the large number of evacuees now in the area that need these things. AND, the number of people getting these things and taking them down to the harder hit areas. Especially when it comes to water, generators, heavy equipment, some tools, building supplies, etc.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:09 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,890,390 times
Quote:
There was no reason for Dallas to over react over Ike hitting them. Hurricanes that make land fall on the Texas coast don't ever travel that far west.
Ya...tell that to Ohio...Ike got them with pretty high winds and damage...that's A LONG WAY for a hurricane to travel.
Lets see tropical storm Lenny (the one that came from BAJA CA) right before IKE dumped a huge ammount of rain in Lubbock! tell them a tropical storm never tracks that far!

As other s pointed out what saved DFW was the cold front sitting up in IL. it pushed the track of the storm east, otherwise it would have came right up I-45 with 60-70mph winds and a bunch more rain.

Quote:
However, we are going to see the "run" on items on store shelves. It won't be for us or anyone "getting prepared" but rather due to the large number of evacuees now in the area that need these things. AND, the number of people getting these things and taking them down to the harder hit areas. Especially when it comes to water, generators, heavy equipment, some tools, building supplies, etc.
Yep my cousin from the clearlake area had been staying in a hotel in Alvarado until yesterday. They filled the pickup truck with ice chests and ice..bread and tons of Peanut butter bottled water etc...But they couldn't find ANY generators...all the home depots and lowes with 100miles were already sold out on Sat afternoon. (they did get the last sump pump though)
They bought about 15 of those big water containers (10-gals?) and filled them up with the hose... and a bunch of 5 gal gas cans. they really did look like the beverly hillbilllys leaving town.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:29 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times
You guys lucked out (-:

Some serious damage in Missouri and Indiana from it.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:47 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,971 times
Hurricanes do hook and curve. I though have news to tell you, a hurricane can come to Dallas. It depends on the size of the hurricane, the strength of the hurricane, the speed of the hurricane, where it lands and where the wind currents take it. If it had made land fall more west and had been a 5 yes it could have hit Dallas as a low number hurricane.
I experienced Charley hitting us as a 1 in Geneva Florida when it hit Punta Gorta at a 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas