Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:04 PM

35 posts, read 135,338 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
We just moved here from another state this summer. The school lunch menu at their old school was great, the kids had a choice between two main dish entrees and then there was usually a vegetable, a starch and a fruit or dessert. They also had a salad bar available every day. This new elementary school they're at has the craziest school lunch menu that I've ever seen. EVERY Friday is stuffed crust pizza, broccoli w/ cheese sauce, chilled apricots and vanilla pudding. Now, normally that isn't so bad, but it's on the menu EVERY SINGLE FRIDAY. EVERY Wednesday is Cheeseburgers, tatertots, pickles and carrot sticks - EVERY WEDNESDAY. What really set me off is tomorrow's menu: Mozzarella sticks, broccoli & rice casserole, grapes and spinach. This is completely normal for this school district - to have 2 vegetables (usually ones kids don't like). I just don't get it, what happened to giving the kids foods they like? I understand they have guidelines and healthy foods are needed, etc. - but it was that way at all of our other schools and their foods were ones that kids liked. Is it just me and the fact that I have picky kids? How would I go about getting something like this changed or is it impossible? Am I over-reacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 06:41 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,293 times
Welcome to Texas! Lunches are crazy. It varies from district to district. I can say that my son's lunches have more kid friendly choices than my school district's lunches. Still not the best but better. Maybe one day they will find that the kids are not eating the food selections and come up with another alternative that is healthier and kid friendly.

We laugh in my school when we see some of th choices. Extra bread when the main entree is a hamburger or something similiar. They claim it is allowed. Who would of ever thought. I know that on my son's school district website you can go in and check out the nutritional values of foods. I have never actually checked to see if the same can be done in my district. I don't eat much school lunch food. So I guess I haven't had any reason to do so. LOL! I hope your kids find something that satisfies them. You may want to send lunches. I do on occasion when my son doesn't like what is on the menu. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2008, 07:07 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
I know what a waste. Vote to end school lunches!

Old 10-05-2008, 07:25 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
I work for a school district south of Dallas and the menus can really be crazy. Gosh, I can remember when I was a kid in another state and many years ago, the cafeteria food was to die for. It was great! Times have changed in more ways than one. Tomorrow's menu that you listed does really sound quite strange but actually, I would enjoy it. The every week the same thing is not fun.

Tomorrow we're having a choice of a meatball sub OR corn dog, steamed broccoli, baked beans, and a brownie.

Here are a few more examples from my high school:

cheesy chicken with rice OR a BBQ sandwich, baked sweet potato, spinach, and a wheat roll

salisbury steak w/ gravy OR BBQ sandwich, au gratin potatoes, black-eyed peas, seasoned cabbage, and corn bread

Our Fridays are pretty much only chili burgers, hamburgers, or cheese burgers.

One can always take a piece of fruit with the lunch, an apple, orange, or banana.

Our school isn't too into sweet desserts; they're a rarity.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:35 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,293 times
I have to say the cabbage and black-eyed peas sound awesome to me but honestly how many teens like those items. LOL!

Old 10-05-2008, 10:00 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshinelife View Post
I have to say the cabbage and black-eyed peas sound awesome to me but honestly how many teens like those items. LOL!
Yes, the salisbury steak and all the fixins' with it sound mighty good to me too. That's one of the better lunches.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:09 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
You are sooo not over reacting!!! My daughter takes her own lunch every day because they have cardboard pizza "as she calls it"

Naima

Old 10-06-2008, 06:43 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
the fact is that the lunch ladies get no say in what the school offers
it probably comes from the district nutritionist and the money has major impact
starch is what I usually see--they are so hypocritical--they say they teach health and long-term livestyle goals and serve crummy food...
most kids would prefer a nice salad with some grilled chicken
many schools give choice of 2 starches and then veggies like corn and tater tots--both starches themselves...

Old 10-06-2008, 09:33 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the fact is that the lunch ladies get no say in what the school offers
it probably comes from the district nutritionist and the money has major impact
starch is what I usually see--they are so hypocritical--they say they teach health and long-term livestyle goals and serve crummy food...
most kids would prefer a nice salad with some grilled chicken
many schools give choice of 2 starches and then veggies like corn and tater tots--both starches themselves...
I let Liam buy his lunch once, because he wanted to try it. When he told me lunch was deep fried Cheese sticks.... that was the end of that. Maybe someday he could do it for a treat when they have fish (he loves fish) but I would never let him buy his lunch regularly.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
I gagged the day I had lunch with one child and it was "Double Meat Hamburger" day. AGH! You mean they can actually use the term "meat" to describe that thing. Ewww

My kids don't care for the school lunches. There are a few things they like and might buy on those days. The rest of the time they take and I don't blame them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas