Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Dallas has more restaurants, malls, and supermarkets per capita. Spending money is a past time here. Actually I'm starting to think people don't even go to their homes except to sleep.

Right? What failing economy? Everywhere I go, people are still throwing money around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 11:56 PM

434 posts, read 1,482,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Right? What failing economy? Everywhere I go, people are still throwing money around.

when those credit cards start to freeze we will see a complete hault in retail in Dallas.

I think everyone knows how reliant the majority of Dallasites are on their credit cards

Best and worst cities for credit scores - MSN Money

Old 10-16-2008, 08:56 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Dallas has more restaurants, malls, and supermarkets per capita. Spending money is a past time here. Actually I'm starting to think people don't even go to their homes except to sleep.
That's funny Mary. I've been here for less than two months and I've noticed I've started to live exactly the way you are describing - not going home except to sleep. The reason I do so is since I'm an oncall guy, I could be called to work anytime. So it makes no sense to drive all the way in to town, then drive back only to get called back 4 hours later. So instead I just live in town all day until it's time to sleep. Starbucks, malls, McCafe, clubs any place with wireless. Or I'll shop - even if it's just window shopping.

I think it's also the weather affecting me. Who wants to go home and sit in the box when you can stay out and place on such a nice day (every day).

Old 10-16-2008, 10:05 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
For now, anyway, at least in Texas. We still have a pretty strong economy currently. I guess we'll see how much the current crisis will affect us.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:07 AM

983 posts, read 4,442,537 times
And retail is a good thing for cities and they need the sales taxes it generates. But I have to admit that my area is not lacking a single thing within about 2/3 miles from where I live. I never have to leave Valley Ranch ever!

But I am one of those people that determine if something is a need or a want. If it comes to being a want then I don't buy it unless I just have extra play money, which in this economy I don't. I have one little t.v. 19 inches and the old kind. Ive had it since 2002. I WANT a 36 - 42 in HD LCD t.v. but one, I refuse to charge it even though I have zero bal credit cards. And two, I just don't want to spend the cash on one, even on black Friday when Walmart had them for under $500 (32 inch). I just hate for a large sum of money to leave my hands. lol Guess I am frugal in my older age.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:11 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
But I am one of those people that determine if something is a need or a want. If it comes to being a want then I don't buy it unless I just have extra play money, which in this economy I don't. I have one little t.v. 19 inches and the old kind. Ive had it since 2002. I WANT a 36 - 42 in HD LCD t.v. but one, I refuse to charge it even though I have zero bal credit cards. And two, I just don't want to spend the cash on one, even on black Friday when Walmart had them for under $500 (32 inch). I just hate for a large sum of money to leave my hands. lol Guess I am frugal in my older age.
I commend you on your *rare* ability to decipher wants from needs and then act accordingly. KUDOS!!! My wife and I have talked about getting a 32" LCD to replace our old tube TV, but we keep coming back to it being a want and not a need. That's the same reason we don't have a DVR or satellite radio. It'd be nice, but I refuse to take on another monthly payment. Heck, I mow my own lawn which seems rare in DFW! But that's $100 per month that can be put into something else...

Old 10-17-2008, 08:31 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
caligurl, that's a good attitude to have. I am getting more like that myself. I wouldn't classify myself as having ever been a shopaholic but I've spent more money in the past than I am comfortable with doing now. Earlier this year we did get one of those big HD tv's after our old tv of 15 years went on the blink but it wasn't my choice. I've cut down on our bills and debts, and since hubby rarely asks for much, I didn't put up much resistence for the tv he wanted.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:34 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Late to this discussion, but my $0.02.

Dallas is absolutely overbuilt with far too many strip malls and shooping. In fact, one of the only good things about Dallas is the shopping areas. Way, way too much generic, bland, faceless strip malls and a Wal-Mart on every corner.

I can't stand it.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:19 AM

686 posts, read 2,437,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Late to this discussion, but my $0.02.

Dallas is absolutely overbuilt with far too many strip malls and shooping. In fact, one of the only good things about Dallas is the shopping areas. Way, way too much generic, bland, faceless strip malls and a Wal-Mart on every corner.

I can't stand it.
You must be talking about the suburbs. There isn't a Wal-Mart on every corner in Dallas. Wal-Marts in Dallas proper are few and far between.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:40 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymachinebl View Post
You must be talking about the suburbs. There isn't a Wal-Mart on every corner in Dallas. Wal-Marts in Dallas proper are few and far between.

Big-box stores in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas