Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 09:58 PM

61 posts, read 222,398 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all! I was very active on this board at the beginning of year, when we were thinking of moving to Irving (or environs) from the Los Angeles area. We decided not to, but it's back on the table. Finances are beyond tight, and about to get worse (The Governator has big plans for our money, and so does Obama; bad combo for us).

Anyway, it's looking even more likely than before. One of my big concerns is dance classes for my 14yo daughter. She is wanting to make dance a career, so I need guidance, people! She is en pointe in ballet, but also takes jazz and musical theater dance. Does anyone have some guidance? We would need a studio that offers advanced dance classes, since many just cater to those who just do it for fun...though it is fun, she's very serious, kwim?

We were thinking of moving to Irving because we have friends there, but we're now looking all over the Dallas area; I like Lewisville, for instance. The plan (so far) is to sell here, bank the money and rent there for awhile, to be able to scope out different areas. Then, the hubby (who is very talented with the power tools *get your mind out of the gutter*) wants to buy and re-furbish a home for us, and as rental properties. I know, I know, a lot goin' on here.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 849,366 times
If you are interested in the Lewisville area, you're daughter would have plenty of dance studios to choose from. Here's the ones that I could think of...
The Dance Space - Highland Village
Ballet Conservatory - Highland Village
Turning Pointe - Bartonville
Dance Reflections - Flower Mound
LifeSong - Grapevine

I've had experience with both LifeSong and The Dance Space but I can't speak about advanced classes as my daughter is at the very beginning of her dance career - she's 3yo. It wouldn't hurt to possibly call the dance departments at University of North Texas, TWU, TCU or SMU. You could ask them about studios in the area that offer more of the advanced level classes as I'm sure quite a few of their students come from the area or even teach at some local studios.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:43 AM

339 posts, read 1,436,576 times
Way back in the day I trained under Lyndette Bader who is now the principal here: Texas Ballet Theater School -Dallas Campus (http://www.texasballettheater.org/tbtschool/TexasBalletTheaterSchool-DallasCampus.htm - broken link) It was rigorous 4X a week R.A.D. training, and this was even before I was en pointe... so it definitely qualifies as serious. LOL, perhaps a bit too serious as the R.A.D. program is graded with an annual exam. But there are many great studios around, as pfw says. You shouldn't have any problems finding a place to fit in--at any skill level. At an advanced level, some of the better studios will require a placement audition and some accept very few new students. The standard stuff.

I've also heard good things about this place
Royale Ballet & All That Jazz - Home

And an early "Welcome to town", too.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:50 PM

158 posts, read 659,636 times
My sister used to dance professionally for many years, now she is Rehearsal Director for a company in Colorado. She said some of her best training in Dallas came from (Kathy) Chamberlain's if it is still around, and then she attended Booker T. Washington/Arts Magnet High School. She was able to go to New York and dance professionally after that. Also, I've heard from others that Tuzer (sp.?)Ballet which I think is in Plano or Richardson is very good.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:07 PM

158 posts, read 659,636 times
It's now called Chamberlain School of Performing Arts in Plano and Tuzer is now called Tuzer Dance in Richardson. I think she'll get what she's looking for at Chamberlain's. Advanced and Intermediate classes are by audition there, so they're pretty serious at that level. Best wishes to her--it a long, hard road, but extremely rewarding I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas