Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:05 PM

206 posts, read 1,013,707 times

Advertisements

Hello to all , I was born and raised in Ferris Texas (20 miles south of Dallas) , later drifted to Dallas and have since moved to Georgia , but I am so amazed at Dallas always appearing on first 48. What is up with that ? and seems like it is always drug related. Wow!! I remember a time where it was areas such as south, east, west and certain parts of oak cliff that were considered a STAY AWAY zone but now it is widely spread amongst the community as a whole. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 02:22 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
what is first 48?

Old 01-22-2009, 02:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
^ a tv "reality" show on one of the cable channels.

Some of it is STAGED! The officer that was recently shot and killed..... one of the episodes he was on aired the day of his funeral. I don't know if they did that on purpose or not. They did put the info on at the end about his death. Oops, my bad... maybe it was on the other show, SWAT! Or whatever it is called.

How are we "tied" when it comes to these shows on these subjects............ there are only so many episodes of these shows and they go between several cities. When you look at the WHOLE picture there really are not that many "drug busts" or killings going on to warrant an entire season of nothing but "First 48 - Dallas". I've watched it a few times. Everytime it is someone involved in drugs or other criminal activities, out LATE at night in a REALLY CRAPPY area.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
what is first 48?
Are you serious? I mean honestly (not being sarcastic) It is a show on a&e that shows true crimes as they occur kind of like snapped but more graphic(I'm not sure if you watch that on oxygen) and the detectives who respond to the crime have 48 hours to find a lead and to try to resolve the crime.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:59 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Kind of like a real life CSI. The police are not pretty actors, no fancy labs with hightech gizmos and a pretty BLEH interogation room (no great high rise views of downtown or the ocean). Basic legwork, small notepad and pen, talking to friends/neighbors/relatives/witnesses.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:16 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Never heard of it.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:27 AM

In re: to your entry "How are we "tied" when it comes to these shows on these subjects............ there are only so many episodes of these shows and they go between several cities. When you look at the WHOLE picture there really are not that many "drug busts" or killings going on to warrant an entire season of nothing but "First 48 - Dallas". I've watched it a few times. Everytime it is someone involved in drugs or other criminal activities, out LATE at night in a REALLY CRAPPY area.
".
Sorry to confuse all, let me rephrase that. When I say we are in a tie I mean that we are almost on all episodes and your right it is some type of criminal activity mostly drug related however and the area that it is in is primarily in the crappy areas but still just to know that every city has a crappy area in it but yet and still Dallas remains on that list and we're not even listed in the list for the dangerous city to be in is AMAZING....WoW!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:28 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,501 times
You probably don't watch the A&E channel very often then. It's actually a very good show. Actually a murder happens and it shows them go to the scene and then they start an investigation. The reason its called the first 48, is because the likelyhood of solving a murder after 48 hours going down big time. They know they have the best chance of solving it within 48 hours. They try real hard to get a confession and they get them a lot of the time. The dealbreaker is when the person asks for a lawyer!
Most of them don't know to ask for a lawyer though and end up spilling it all.

Very entertaining show. It shows them in Dallas & Memphis a lot and most of it is drug related but not always.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:47 AM

686 posts, read 2,437,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
You probably don't watch the A&E channel very often then. It's actually a very good show. Actually a murder happens and it shows them go to the scene and then they start an investigation. The reason its called the first 48, is because the likelyhood of solving a murder after 48 hours going down big time. They know they have the best chance of solving it within 48 hours. They try real hard to get a confession and they get them a lot of the time. The dealbreaker is when the person asks for a lawyer!
Most of them don't know to ask for a lawyer though and end up spilling it all.

Very entertaining show. It shows them in Dallas & Memphis a lot and most of it is drug related but not always.
I agree. It's a very interesting show. Dallas is shown quite a bit, but that probably doesn't have anything to do with the crime rate here or anywhere else. I'm sure A&E wanted to film some place that wasn't the standard NY, LA, Miami you see on other shows. Also, some police departments in other major cities may not have let them film there for whatever reason.

A lot of the episodes do end up having something to do with drugs and money. The one that bothered me the most was the one with the woman that was killed leaving work from the office building on Greenville Ave. and the whole thing was filmed on the security cameras.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:22 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Never heard of it.
Don't worry. I never heard of it either....but we have just now gotten cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: