Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times

Advertisements

So in addition being stereotyped for just about every other reason, DISD schools must also bear the burden of 'trying to whiten' when making improvements to a school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 11:40 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
So in addition being stereotyped for just about every other reason, DISD schools must also bear the burden of 'trying to whiten' when making improvements to a school?
Seems that way.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:28 PM

Yes, all moves to make our schools better should be ascribed to nefarious motives!

Ranger - if we got all the estimated 75 kids in each grade back from private schools (which I assume you presume to be white since you went to one of them) Woodrow would still be majority minorty. Also I'm assuming that you are assuming that we won't have any minority students apply to IB because they can't do the work. I have pictures of last week's open house for this and I can assure you that is not the case.

Of course we know how 'assume' makes an ass out of you and me.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 AM

www.advocatemag.com >> All Things Lakewood and East Dallas - Advocate Video: In-depth look at Woodrow's 2010 academy plan
"
• Every student enrolling in Woodrow, beginning with 9th graders next year, will have to select one of the four academies to help guide studies.
• Although no one knows how many neighborhood students will ultimately enroll at Woodrow, it has been estimated that up to 40 percent of the school's student population could be comprised of students outside Woodrow's attendance zone.
• More than 300 people showed up at Woodrow last month to hear more about the new plans, and every week, students from private schools and schools outside Woodrow's attendance zone are showing up at the school to check it out prior to the enrollment period in February.
And to make it easier to sort through all of the redesign and International Baccalaureate information out there, you can click here (and maybe bookmark the page in your browser) to get a complete rundown of all of our videos, podcasts and blog posts about the high school redesign. We also have Woodrow's PowerPoint presentation outlining the plans, too..."

Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 PM

2010-2011 High School Redesign Showcase Scheduled (http://www.dallasisd.org/inside_disd/calendardata/news_releases/1264522705.html - broken link)

Old 02-01-2010, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
According to the program, IB, of course at woodrow, you either have to do IB, AP, or some sort of dual credit program...which Principal Vail says during an advocate mag. interview that if you do not choose or go throgh the above then you will need to find another school to go to...so where does that leave over half of the school in attendance who cannot quote "keep up with the rigorous academics"? I live in lakewood (many years now) and am on the fence about going through the feeder pattern to put my child on the path to woodrow and its "IB/AP/Dual Program" ...seems as though their is a sort of elite segregation and lack of true representation of an inner city school..for me this poses a problem regardless of what you can offer. My child is only in the elementary level of education, soon to be middle school but I have visited Woodrow already, done the info. meetings with the feeder schools, etc. and have seen the students in their element during a school day at the high school...let me tell you it is not a true representation of bringing students together and creating an environment in which all will succeed...I urge anyone to visit the school, peek in a classroom, and see who is where...it is truly an eye opener!

Old 02-01-2010, 11:16 AM

More info:

http://woodrowwildcats.org/public_html/attachments/061_Abbreviated%20WW%20Redesign%20and%20IB%20Prese ntation%2012-8-09.pdf (broken link)

http://woodrowwildcats.org/public_html/attachments/061_WW%20Prospectus.pdf (broken link)

http://www.woodrowwildcats.org/IB1.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM

IB Application:

http://woodrowwildcats.org/public_html/attachments/061_Woodrow%20Wilson%20High%20School%20Academy%20o f%20International%20Baccalaureate%20Application(2) .pdf (broken link)

Old 02-03-2010, 11:55 AM

This is mainly for folks outside WW attendance zone and those from other school districts wishing to apply for Woodrow.

ou can click on the links in the story after you click on the story for more info:

www.advocatemag.com >> All Things Lakewood and East Dallas - Woodrow choice forms due Feb. 26

"Woodrow choice forms due Feb. 26

If you're the parents of an 8th grader shopping for a DISD high school this fall, you have until Feb. 26 to apply to Woodrow Wilson's newly redesigned college prep academies. We're written extensively about the offerings here at Back Talk, so rather than cover that ground again, click here to reach our online summary page for more information about what Woodrow will be offering.

What you might need to know, though, is that you can click here to obtain a "parental public school choice application". If you're already in the Woodrow attendance zone, you don't need to do anything — your student will be automatically enrolled at Woodrow...

...If you happen to live outside DISD's attendance boundaries, you can click here for the application form needed to apply to Woodrow or any other DISD school. Although DISD once charged out-of-district students a nominal tuition to attend school in Dallas, that's no longer the case — out-of-district students can attend DISD schools without charge, provided they are accepted into the program and approved by DISD"

Old 02-03-2010, 11:42 PM

36 posts, read 148,724 times
Default This is great news

My son has been at Dealey for the last 7 years. We have been through the wringer of where to go. It was always Booker T until he took rigorous art classes and had a melt down . . . didn't want to do art all the time, and too new at piano and guitar to get in. So next it was Science and Engineering Magnet at Townview. I stood out in the cold to turn in his application, but didn't have a real warm and fuzzy about the place - at least as a place for my son. Then I found out about the Woodrow IB program. This sounds like a great situation to me: excellent academics, a traditional high school environment, with sports, music, dances and all that. The kids can explore a number of things. High school is too early to make a life choice. This is a great opportunity, and since Woodrow is our home school, it is a no brainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas