Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 PM

40 posts, read 76,340 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from LA and am looking at buying a place in Dallas. I grew up in Beverly Hills, and realize that the Highland Park and University Park areas are more simiar to Beverly/Holmby Hills and Bel Air but when I drove through West Plano I was AMAZED. It seems like a really classy area, and very similar to where we currently reside, Pacific Palisades.

Anyway, we're looking for an area that combines city living with suburban amenities. I don't want to feel like I'm in a suburb, I want close relatively close access to Dallas as well as nightlife, shopping, and want to live around other wealthy people.

By the way, I was struck at how similar Dallas is to LA in many regards. It's smaller, it's hotter, but it has a very LA-like vibe and reminds me of LA twenty years ago.

Is W Plano what I'm looking for or are there other places to consider? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
It could be your spot. There are some folks with a lot of money in West Plano. It's nice and clean with great shopping, access to the Tollway to get into town and great schools without the traffic congestion of Highland Park and University Park.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
W. Plano, some parts of Frisco and some parts of McKinney as well. However, I think W. Plano is more of what you're looking for. It's closer in, and more like Beverly Hills than the others.

Welcome and hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hollywoodian View Post
I'm moving from LA and am looking at buying a place in Dallas. I grew up in Beverly Hills, and realize that the Highland Park and University Park areas are more simiar to Beverly/Holmby Hills and Bel Air but when I drove through West Plano I was AMAZED. It seems like a really classy area, and very similar to where we currently reside, Pacific Palisades.

Anyway, we're looking for an area that combines city living with suburban amenities. I don't want to feel like I'm in a suburb, I want close relatively close access to Dallas as well as nightlife, shopping, and want to live around other wealthy people.

By the way, I was struck at how similar Dallas is to LA in many regards. It's smaller, it's hotter, but it has a very LA-like vibe and reminds me of LA twenty years ago.

Is W Plano what I'm looking for or are there other places to consider? Thanks!
I lived in LA/OC for 2 years because of a job transfer and Orange County, especially South OC(Costa Mesa, Rancho Santa Margarita, Mission Viejo, etc.) is very similar to West Plano IMO. There is a lot of really nice homes, shopping on every corner, and you see a lot of high end cars on the roads in both areas. Bel Air is somewhat similar to Highland and University Park in that the homes are older and it's closer to downtown in both areas, but Bel Air is still far superior to the Park Cities.

So, I would say that West Plano would be good because it has what your wanting and you really don't feel like your in a suburb because the city of Plano is so big itself.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
The most exclusive neighborhoods of west Plano are west of Ohio from Willow Bend to Prestonwood to Lakeside and others (these are name of subdivisions). Other similar areas in Frisco would be Starwood and Stonebriar, Latera & Chapel Hill.

Just west of Plano, pass Willow Bend Mall on Park (about 3-4 miles), there is a community called Castle Hills. Awesome place with homes ranging in the low 400s to 3 mil. www.castlehills.com you can peruse and see this master planned community.

Naima

Old 04-15-2009, 11:48 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
West Plano is not his spot.

He just said he wanted to be close to nightlife and close to Dallas. ( I would think being close to cultural events would be nice as well?)

Is that in Plano????...Plano a suburb. Yes it has nice homes and good schools but it's the suburbs. It's the very definition of a suburb...there isn't anything about that's not suburban.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
I agree with padcrasher, close to nightlife and highend shopping is downtown living, OP might want to consider Southlake area, they might fit in there well. I am sure it's close to a lot off shopping.
I like West Plano as well, very nice areas.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hollywoodian View Post
I want close relatively close access to Dallas as well as nightlife, shopping, and want to live around other wealthy people.
relatively close....W. Plano is what 20-25 minutes away from nightlife? 15-20 from shopping. I think that area would be ideal.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:59 AM

40 posts, read 76,340 times
Hi, thanks for the responses. I'm not looking to be in the center of nightlife, but close enough where I'm not in a too-far out suburb. Pacific Palisades is far enough away, yet close enough to the nightlife of downtown LA and West Hollywood.

Is W Plano similar?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:04 AM

686 posts, read 2,436,634 times
There is high end shopping to be had in West Plano. The Shops at Willow Bend, with Neiman Marcus and Saks, is definitely more upscale than Stonebriar Mall, which is just a few miles up the road in Frisco. As far as nightlife, it will be about 20 minutes or so down the tollway to areas around uptown/downtown Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas