Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 03:29 PM

254 posts, read 982,835 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at a home site where you can search for homes by school district. All of the homes tell you which elem, mid, and hs you are assigned. However, when I search for homes in Garland ISD, it only says Garland ISD, it doesnt give the specific school. How does one know which school you are assigned to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 03:50 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
the ISD site should have a district boundry map and you can look up the houses address etc...

But most sites I've used have the schools lisited..are big boundry changes happening in gArland this year? That may be why the schools are listed the realtors don't know where the boundries will change.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
The Garland ISD is an "open choice" district. You have a "neighborhood zoned" school but every year you turn in a "choice of school" form to select which school you would like for the next year. Those students that live in that zone get first picks for that school and then any one else can take the open spots. However, if your "neighborhood" school is more than 2 miles away or other factors come into play they will provide bus transportation IF it is your "neighborhood" school. For the magnet schools if a student is accepted into the magnet program then they will get bus transportation as well no matter where in the GISD they live (the only way this does not apply is for the G&T Magnets for elementary since there are 3 campuses and each have a "zone" to transport to/from).

Since it is "open choice" there are no set schools that realtors can use to specify for the "neighborhood" school. They HAVE to put "Garland ISD" and not a specific school campus.

There are maps available on the GISD website (or should be) that tell what schools are zoned for what areas for the transportation issue. You can also call the district and give them the address your looking at and ask what school is zoned for that "neighborhood" and they should be able to tell you. This doesn't mean that every kid in that area will be attending their "neighborhood" school though. If you pick your "neighborhood" school as your first choice and don't get it then the GISD is required to provide bus transportation to your second choice. You can get on the wait list for your 1st choice and usually will get a call by the first day of school. Openings come up as people move over the summer and don't call the district to inform them they will not be needing that spot any longer. Sounds confusing but is actually pretty easy.

If you want to pm me w/ locations of houses your looking at I can give you an idea of what schools are zoned for that area.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:02 PM

57 posts, read 169,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The Garland ISD is an "open choice" district. You have a "neighborhood zoned" school but every year you turn in a "choice of school" form to select which school you would like for the next year. Those students that live in that zone get first picks for that school and then any one else can take the open spots. However, if your "neighborhood" school is more than 2 miles away or other factors come into play they will provide bus transportation IF it is your "neighborhood" school. For the magnet schools if a student is accepted into the magnet program then they will get bus transportation as well no matter where in the GISD they live (the only way this does not apply is for the G&T Magnets for elementary since there are 3 campuses and each have a "zone" to transport to/from).

Since it is "open choice" there are no set schools that realtors can use to specify for the "neighborhood" school. They HAVE to put "Garland ISD" and not a specific school campus.

There are maps available on the GISD website (or should be) that tell what schools are zoned for what areas for the transportation issue. You can also call the district and give them the address your looking at and ask what school is zoned for that "neighborhood" and they should be able to tell you. This doesn't mean that every kid in that area will be attending their "neighborhood" school though. If you pick your "neighborhood" school as your first choice and don't get it then the GISD is required to provide bus transportation to your second choice. You can get on the wait list for your 1st choice and usually will get a call by the first day of school. Openings come up as people move over the summer and don't call the district to inform them they will not be needing that spot any longer. Sounds confusing but is actually pretty easy.

If you want to pm me w/ locations of houses your looking at I can give you an idea of what schools are zoned for that area.

Hello Momof2...I have a question about Garland. You seem to be very knowledgeable about the area. Like many places, there's usually a general rule aka, "stay west of so-and-so" or "north of so-and-so is really nice". When recommending areas of Garland, what would you say would be the "rule" here? Or is all of Garland, in your view, just really nice?

PLEASE advise . . . . thx!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthInfoTech View Post
Hello Momof2...I have a question about Garland. You seem to be very knowledgeable about the area. Like many places, there's usually a general rule aka, "stay west of so-and-so" or "north of so-and-so is really nice". When recommending areas of Garland, what would you say would be the "rule" here? Or is all of Garland, in your view, just really nice?

PLEASE advise . . . . thx!
Most people say, "stay in northeast Garland in and around Firewheel". Granted Firewheel is very nice and the newest part of Garland and growing. However, there are some WONDERFUL hidden pockets of older homes on huge lots w/ towering trees and creeks in South Garland. You just have to know where to look. On either side of Miller between Shiloh and Garland Ave is one such. The closer to Shiloh the better though but about 3 streets just West of Garland Ave are some great houses as well. Then back along Duck Creek in areas off of Centerville and Northwest Hwy are some great pockets. Same with on the east side of Garland Ave..... great older homes on great lots. There is one street off of Garland Ave that has homes w/ 4 acre lots. NICE homes too.

If you find something and curious about it just shot me a pm and I'll tell you yes or no.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 PM

57 posts, read 169,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Most people say, "stay in northeast Garland in and around Firewheel". Granted Firewheel is very nice and the newest part of Garland and growing. However, there are some WONDERFUL hidden pockets of older homes on huge lots w/ towering trees and creeks in South Garland. You just have to know where to look. On either side of Miller between Shiloh and Garland Ave is one such. The closer to Shiloh the better though but about 3 streets just West of Garland Ave are some great houses as well. Then back along Duck Creek in areas off of Centerville and Northwest Hwy are some great pockets. Same with on the east side of Garland Ave..... great older homes on great lots. There is one street off of Garland Ave that has homes w/ 4 acre lots. NICE homes too.

If you find something and curious about it just shot me a pm and I'll tell you yes or no.
Will do....

I have to say, though, I am really liking more and more what I see from the Garland ISD. I have a special needs child (autism, but high functioning) and I have been very, very pleased with some of the info I've come across so far regarding Garland ISD's special ed programs/services for families. I like Plano ISD, too. It sounds like a really great school district as far as test scores go, but, so far, I've not seen as much for needs for families who have autistic children. Garland ISD seems more diverse, too. When I say diverse, I mean having a representation of many walks of life (different races, social, economic backgrounds, etc). School should not just be ONLY about academics and test scores....I see school as one of many opportunities for socially training kids before they grow up and enter the "real world." (of course it starts at home, but school life is a factor of influence for kids, also). So I want my kids to be exposed to a variety of people from all walks of life, b/c that's the way the real world is. No offense to anyone out there. Just my humble opinon.......

I am still very early in my research of schools in the DFW area, but I learned a long time ago that high test scores for a given school/school district are not the sole indicator of how well a school/school district well serve my kids (unfortunately it seems a lot of people on this forum seem to think high test scores are THE determining factor....at least that's the impression I get from reading/skimming through some of the posts). I once put my kids in a school with very high test scores, and although they did fine in school, I was troubled by the teaching culture/style there. Too much focus on testing, and not dealing with the children as people, but rather a test score statistic. Test scores are important, but a nice balance of success in other areas would be great, also.

Sorry for long rant.....I got to typing and everything just poured out from my fingers........LOL!.....again, THANK YOU for all your info and help!!

Old 05-16-2009, 09:10 AM

OHMY! I was just at the GISD Special Olympics yesterday. It was AWESOME!!!!!!! Our middle school band played for them and when their schools group was introduced as they walked in front of them the whole band cheered for them. The entire programs volunteer base is OUTSTANDING!!!!!! The amount of volunteers with each school is AMAZING!!!!! We had a BLAST!!!! I have been very impressed with the programs in the GISD. Every one of them.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:27 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
I have to post in here too, Rowlett is a nice place as well. Although we have some constructions still is a nice city. I live off Firewheel/Rowlett Rd on the Rowlett side of North East Garland. My daughter goes to Rowlett HS part of GISD and we love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: