Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,265 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I was looking for a little bit of advice on where to live in the Dallas area. I plan on moving there in late June or early July, with a pledge brother of mine. I am graduating college from the University of Kansas with a degree in business. My brother is currently a SMU student, so I am somewhat familiar with the area from my few visits to Dallas. Only really the university and highland park areas. The place that I was recommended to live in was The Villages??? I don't know if anyone is familiar with this area, but I checked out their website and it seems to be very nice. We are looking for a 2 bedroom and 2 bath (if possible) for around $600 or so a month. Also, any advice on obtaining a job would be extremely helpful. Right now I am working the University and Fraternity alumni to see what I can come across. At this point, all I'm looking for is an opportunity to get in with an organization, I know that my skills will take care of the rest from there on out. Anyways, thanks in advance for whatever advice or recommendations you all can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 10:26 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,903,831 times
There are a LOT of Jayhawk alums in Dallas. I know a few . What is your degree in and the kind of work your looking for?

The Villages........... back in the day....... Some parts are okay and from what I've heard are revamping. Others are not so great and you will want to ask if the complex you are looking at accepts those on government subsidies (Section 8 being one). If so then keep on looking. The McKinney Ave, Knox-Henderson, Mockingbird Station, Victory Park and Uptown are on the up and up and attracting a LOT of young professionals.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:18 AM

326 posts, read 962,863 times
The Village is ok for garden apartments, but if you want something a bit more interesting look at places downtown. There are lots of new apartments/lofts in Downtown Dallas and many offer subsidies for young professionals. There's everything from the old converted warehouses to luxury high-rises... it all depends on what type of area you are interested in. Check out http://www.yourdspot.com/ for a list of places in the different neighborhoods. You can also look at Mockingbird Station which is closer to SMU. I live dowtown (Main Street District) and love it... PM me if you need other ideas.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,183,772 times
The Village is constantly being rebuilt and I would think it's too expensive for your range. The average apartment in the Dallas area costs just over $700 per month and the Village is more upscale.

I would try the apartments off University between Skillman and Greenville Avenue. A lot of SMU students live there - they are mostly from the early to mid-1960s but are well-built and very spacious. Some have dens and real fireplaces. Many have gone condo and some are being torn down, some totally redone. Look for an less flashy complex for that price. It's very close the the ultimate foodie palace, Central Market. And Lower Greenville nightlife is just blocks away.

Ask around with the frat bros...btw, which frat (I graduated from SMU)?

If that doesn't work I would check for duplexes in Knox-Henderson, East Dallas and Lakewood (zips 75214 and 75206).

Old 04-10-2007, 03:34 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,600,220 times
2br/2bath for $600 in The Village? Doesn't exist. I lived there in a 1br, 1ba, small place for something like $575 while I was between selling my home and buying a new one. That was with a short-term up-charge, but still, I think it gives you an idea.

They have pricing on their web site - www.villageapts.com (broken link). Their new apartments with garages are well in the $1K range for this sort of setup. The Village is a great location, and I've heard it said you haven't really lived in Dallas unless you've lived in the Villages.

Seriously, they're a great location with easy accessibility - it's a great starting point for coming into Dallas. If you get into cycling at all, it's great that you can take a short ride (less than 2 miles) and you're at White Rock Lake. It was awesome for me - no home to maintain, close to the lake - I rode a lot there.

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas