Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,950,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
What about the Brownstones in Southlake?
Quote:
I am from Colorado, people don't mind the drive and we drive it in snow as well.
That is fine and dandy and plenty of people here also make LONG commutes. However, that location does not suit any of the OP's criteria. It would be a bad decision location wise based on their needs that were listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 06:24 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,024,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
That is fine and dandy and plenty of people here also make LONG commutes. However, that location does not suit any of the OP's criteria. It would be a bad decision location wise based on their needs that were listed.

ok, not a big deal. I am sure they just scratched it off their list. no need to make a big deal about it. sheesh people are so tense here in Dallas. lol

Old 07-01-2009, 07:03 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,607,212 times
Quote:
ok, not a big deal. I am sure they just scratched it off their list. no need to make a big deal about it. sheesh people are so tense here in Dallas. lol
Naw, it just amazes me how many people push their thought process on others. When someone sets down a certain criteria for a search, we (as locals) should respect that they know what they want better than we do.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Well, LHHS did move up a few spots on the Newsweek top schools list but is still way behind WWHS in Lakewood.
LOL! You crack me up Lakewooder. We're going to rename you "one that beats the dead horse".

DISD has some serious issues to address. While there are indeed good schools, as we saw recently in the news when magnet schools were nearly shut down, anything within DISD boundaries can change. It makes me sick that DISD can't get it's head removed from between it's cheeks. DISD is probably the primary factor in why the city of Dallas doesn't have the growth rates it should (sure, it's increasing, but would double if DISD issues were fixed).

Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I wasn't making a big deal of it. I was just informing the OP that it would be a location that would not suit them based on the needs & wants they posted so that they would not waste their time even considering it. I actually read what they posted. I don't live in any of the areas I even recommended so I'm not out to push my area over others that are much better suited for their needs.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:51 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,024,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I wasn't making a big deal of it. I was just informing the OP that it would be a location that would not suit them based on the needs & wants they posted so that they would not waste their time even considering it. I actually read what they posted. I don't live in any of the areas I even recommended so I'm not out to push my area over others that are much better suited for their needs.
I don't know my way around Dallas too well yet. I saw the brownstones, I would love to live there but a I think it's a little too pricey for me. But it's a yuppie area so I thought they would like it. I would love to live in southlake townsquare with all those stores and resturants outside my door.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:15 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,014,190 times
my understand is that Brownstone is mainly singles/young couples/empty nesters--no families with kids and it is high density location for retail shopping--not family friendly--

I heard that many of the first units were bought by parents for their YA kids--college age or grads--so they could be safe and have place close to M/D...and good investment
frankly those are not for rent from what I saw--just sale although I guess some people could be renting them out since Southlake has no apts per se allowed in town...

Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,439,012 times
Quote:
Yes, most of the posters on here who live in Dallas or are Dallasites are very tense and in my opinion, rude. It seems like if you don't mention an area they find suitable, they immediately attack. If you mention moving to areas like Lakewood, Lake Highlands, Uptown, M-Streets, Richardson, or Garland, then they are all for it. But if you mention areas like Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Allen, and any other suburbs, they freak out.

But believe me, the Dallas posters on here are not a true perception of how all Dallas people are. I know a TON of people here in Dallas, and they are not all like that. I'm sure glad though that I don't know any of the Dallas posters on here. Or at least I don't think I know any of them...although it would be funny if I did.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 AM

For what it's worth, the brownstones in Southlake are gorgeous. It's the commute time from Plano and downtown and lack of light rail that immediately remove them as an option. If you work in an area near Southlake, they would definitely make a nice option. I would state that urban style living is generally more than just living in a condo with shopping/eating in walking distance - it usually also has an element of proximity to cultural venues and night life. I think the Brownstones only offer the living/shopping experience, where as uptown has the street trolley and DART options that can take you quickly into the Arts district - with plenty of art, music and other cultural options as well as night life.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 AM

Hate to burst your bubble but I am not uptight or tense I'm actually probably the most outgoing and friendly person around most of the time. Also hate to tell ya that if someone did say they worked in Denton or McKinney or somewhere and the housing in that general area fit their wants/needs then I would recommend it. I just don't feel the need to jump up and spit out the area I live in or love the most before even considering someones wants/needs and their criteria. I ask questions first if they did not already post that info to find out more of what they are looking for. I even told the poster that had a job in Plano that living in East Dallas/Lakewood COULD be a pain for a commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas