Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,686,858 times

Advertisements

After reading all of this what about the Mockingbird Station area?

Not too bad of a commute to Plano, close to Dart and Downtown, shopping/restaurant dense, not sure about family friendly (schools/parks)...

Hey OP, welcome to Dallas! Wish I was moving back as well.

Check out one of my favorite Dallas sites www.dallasobserver.com

Great for us yuppie scum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 02:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,186,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
LOL! You crack me up Lakewooder. We're going to rename you "one that beats the dead horse".
Hey Brian, just responding to the dig by Bill!

They have
Brownstone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in Southlake? Whodathunkit?

Old 07-01-2009, 02:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,186,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but I am not uptight or tense I'm actually probably the most outgoing and friendly person around most of the time. Also hate to tell ya that if someone did say they worked in Denton or McKinney or somewhere and the housing in that general area fit their wants/needs then I would recommend it. I just don't feel the need to jump up and spit out the area I live in or love the most before even considering someones wants/needs and their criteria. I ask questions first if they did not already post that info to find out more of what they are looking for. I even told the poster that had a job in Plano that living in East Dallas/Lakewood COULD be a pain for a commute.

Yah mom you are so tense I prescribe a frozen margarita at Matt's...

OK y'all do remember that time I recommended Plano?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,906,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I'm thinking that is just what the doctor ordered. Along w/ some Bob Armstrong dip. Just don't know when I can get it.....

The next best dip is the Queso w/ spicy beef at Kelly's Eastside IN PLANO! The horrors...........

Old 07-01-2009, 04:02 PM

625 posts, read 1,957,955 times
This is really hard. I think working in Plano and working in downtown is going to be hard. Despite what other posters are saying, the commute from Uptown to Plano would be painful every morning. You're losing basically an hour spent in the car everyday.

If you went on commute alone, I would say Addison is the perfect place- but momof2dfw is right when she says that it's not really family oriented, and the schools aren't really that great. It is a bit yuppie-ish however.

I don't really like the Lake Highlands suggestion because it seems like a total compromise- the commute time is still terrible, it's not really that yuppie-ish at all, and you're not getting the best schools in the area.

If I were you, I would rent first, for at least 6 months in Addison, just so you get a feeling for what's out there. Despite what the Dallas snobs have to say, the suburbs aren't that bad. Addison is in the middle of Dallas and the "northern suburbs" so it'll give you a good chance to feel out the area, see what's available, and see what strikes your fancy the most. You can easily find an apartment in your budget in Addison.

I live in Addison, so I'm biased, but from a utility perspective, it'll be a lot easier when you first move. Seriously, you don't want to have to drive 35 minutes on your first day of work. I think long-term Addison is not that viable, unless you find a good private school you like, but it sounds like your kids are young- I'm sure you can find a good pre-school close to either one of your workplaces for now.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:19 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,435,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
This is really hard. I think working in Plano and working in downtown is going to be hard. Despite what other posters are saying, the commute from Uptown to Plano would be painful every morning. You're losing basically an hour spent in the car everyday.

If you went on commute alone, I would say Addison is the perfect place- but momof2dfw is right when she says that it's not really family oriented, and the schools aren't really that great. It is a bit yuppie-ish however.

I don't really like the Lake Highlands suggestion because it seems like a total compromise- the commute time is still terrible, it's not really that yuppie-ish at all, and you're not getting the best schools in the area.

If I were you, I would rent first, for at least 6 months in Addison, just so you get a feeling for what's out there. Despite what the Dallas snobs have to say, the suburbs aren't that bad. Addison is in the middle of Dallas and the "northern suburbs" so it'll give you a good chance to feel out the area, see what's available, and see what strikes your fancy the most. You can easily find an apartment in your budget in Addison.

I live in Addison, so I'm biased, but from a utility perspective, it'll be a lot easier when you first move. Seriously, you don't want to have to drive 35 minutes on your first day of work. I think long-term Addison is not that viable, unless you find a good private school you like, but it sounds like your kids are young- I'm sure you can find a good pre-school close to either one of your workplaces for now.
Uptown to Plano would be an EASY commute! 75 and the tollway going north in the morning are moving good.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:54 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,597,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
Uptown to Plano would be an EASY commute! 75 and the tollway going north in the morning are moving good.
Yeah, but you also think that McKinney to Downtown is easy, whereas most of us think it's crazy!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,597,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

OK y'all do remember that time I recommended Plano?
Or "momo" as azriver insists on calling her...

Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 PM

3,803 posts, read 9,329,743 times
You could very easily live in Highland Park or Greenbrier and rent a very nice, new duplex or SFR. Drive around this area, and you may never want to leave. HP, M streets, Greenbrier, Bluffview.

There are dupes for rent on Normandy right now. I'm talking about a brand new, killer side by side duplex with about 3 feet of brick between the sides. you would literally be walking distance to Highland Park Village. Trust me, at least take a look.

Across the tollway you have a HUGE area from Greenbrier to areas just outside of Bluffview where you can find a great spot. I would think you might want to rent for the first year at least.

But my point is you don't have to go all the way to Plano, and if you do, it's not that bad of a commute at all, especially with the tollbooths coming down.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:03 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,435,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Yeah, but you also think that McKinney to Downtown is easy, whereas most of us think it's crazy!
Ok you are just you--don't speak for others. I cannot stand when people do that. It's rude and wrong.

Yes, there is some of you that think that on here, but they are only a few out of like 6.3 million people in the DFW area. Believe me, I know a TON of people all over DFW(from the suburbs to the Park Cities), and not all of them think like or have the same ideals as you all have. Thank god because I cannot stand it! I find it very rude to be misleading people all the time. I just try to be honest and help people as much as possible.

Wow, if some of you think that 40-45 minutes(McKinney to downtown Dallas) is a bad commute, then you haven't seen anything. Back when I lived in NYC, there was people that commuted several hours each way back and forth to Manhattan from surrounding states. I only had about a 4 mile commute from the Upper East Side to Manhattan. It definitely didn't equal 4 minutes though, more like 15-20 in traffic. I sure do miss having a car service to take me everywhere!....but it is just not common here in DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas