Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:00 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
...If you are willing to pay $1.5 million for a house that in west Allen would cost $600,000 then clearly you feel that the area is prestigious enough to warrant paying over double the price.
That is you, but plenty of other people live in Preston Hollow who do not work nearby. They live there because they want to live in Preston Hollow and have that nice 75230 zip code.

I agree with you that 'prestige' is a factor, to some degree, in choosing where to live, but I question the magnitude of that component in general and specifically with the inference made in a previous post that it is the main reason for the difference in price - like I said, I would tend to weight the supply side more heavily than the demand side. Also, I mentioned proximity to work as just one example of like a million other reasons people have for living where they do other than the 'prestige' factor - I don't mean that it's a huge factor for everyone - again you are right that it's just my personal preference (just like the 'prestige' is for you). Anyway- it's probably not quantifiable, and not really that big a deal to me, more like idle speculation on my part.

Last edited by tyanger; 07-17-2009 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I agree with you that 'prestige' is a factor, to some degree, in choosing where to live, but I question the magnitude of that component in general and specifically with the inference made in a previous post that it is the main reason for the difference in price - like I said, I would tend to weight the supply side more heavily than the demand side. Also, I mentioned proximity to work as just one example of like a million other reasons people have for living where they do other than the 'prestige' factor - I don't mean that it's a huge factor for everyone - again you are right that it's just my personal preference (just like the 'prestige' is for you). Anyway- it's probably not quantifiable, and not really that big a deal to me, more like idle speculation on my part.
I do not currently live in Preston Hollow, I only grew up there. If prestige was a huge factor for me, I would not have bought a house in Richardson. Richardson is great but it is not prestigious. It isn't NOT prestigious either. It is very....average. I like that.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,022 times
As someone who has lived in "east" Allen for 27 years I feel qualified to fill you in on the difference. Untill 1997 or so there was no west allen the town stopped at the McDonalds on 75 and McDErmont. So everything past that will be newer. That being said most of those houses were thrown up quickly using nail guns cheap wood and unskilled labor. In my personal opinion they are cheaply made houses that cost a lot. Now for the east side the houses are older but they were built by skilled tradesmen and were built to last. Also you will get bigger lots and more house for much cheaper. I personally feel east Allen has a more old Allen town feel to it. In 1981 when I was born in Allen there were less than 10,000 people there. Now it has over 80,000. Regardless of were you live in Allen it is a ggreat town to grow up in. At least it was for me

Old 10-10-2009, 11:17 AM

62 posts, read 297,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumith007 View Post
Ok folks finally we bought a nice inventory home in 'west allen' quail run subdivision...Thank u all for your inputs.
By now, you're surely enjoying your home and community, though this thread was hijacked and took on a life of its own. Congrats and blessings to you and your family.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,711 times
the East/West thing in more of a Plano thing which cames about throught the high school (Plano East vs Plano West)- - not so much in Allen - mainly since Allen has only one high school - - I know more people that have their cars broken into and things stolen from their garages on the West than the East... I would check on the local Police of the trouble neighborhoods - most we deal with are boring teens - and it is worst in some neighborhoods over others - they ARE on both sides of 75...Allen is not a big town so getting from one side to another - takes no time at all

Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,447 times
[FONT=Tahoma]Living in "EAST" Allen for over 12 years and loving it! The East side was developed first, then the Westside. Our area is considered the older part but we got more bang for the buck so to say. If you want maybe you should look in Frisco, Prosper or Celina..[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]We have a new High School on the East side. We have a lot of new shopping on the East side on Stacy and Exchange… All of Allen is the safest city in [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma]Texas[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma] and 10 in the nation. So we must be doing something right![/FONT]

Old 06-13-2016, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,096 times
Hello, I am actually from Tulsa,OK and me and my fiance are trying to move to allen, we have found a few places but i am not familiar with the area at all. We are looking for a place to rent under $1,000 a month that allow a dog, a 1 bedroom would be efficient but a 2 bedroom would be better. He has a past drug history so we are trying to stay as far away from any drug filled areas... any input is greatly appreciated. I have found rent availabilities at Benton Pointe, Settler's Gate, Auberry at Twin Creeks, and Lansbrook at Twin Creek Apartments. Please let me know if there are a lot of drug problems or any gang problems in this area as we would like to stay as far away from that as possible.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:50 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorTripp View Post
Hello, I am actually from Tulsa,OK and me and my fiance are trying to move to allen, we have found a few places but i am not familiar with the area at all. We are looking for a place to rent under $1,000 a month that allow a dog, a 1 bedroom would be efficient but a 2 bedroom would be better. He has a past drug history so we are trying to stay as far away from any drug filled areas... any input is greatly appreciated. I have found rent availabilities at Benton Pointe, Settler's Gate, Auberry at Twin Creeks, and Lansbrook at Twin Creek Apartments. Please let me know if there are a lot of drug problems or any gang problems in this area as we would like to stay as far away from that as possible.
Allen is as new and nice of a suburb and will be as close as you can come to what you are looking for as anywhere in America. Can't think of anything that would be considered a drug filled gang area. But in this day and age, drugs are everywhere, so can't tell you of a place where it will be totally drug free. In Allen, the apartment complexes, nice as they are, are still probably going to have more activity drug wise as compared to a single family home area. But, you can't get a rental in a neighborhood in Allen in your budget.

All the best in your move. I hope he is committed to some sort of 12 step program to stay on the straight and narrow.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:28 PM

134 posts, read 342,930 times
The gap between the prices of homes from the east and west side of Allen is slowly narrowing. There is a lot of new construction going on right now on the west side that have been on hold for a while. It's probably because of the anticipated population increase and lack of available homes in the area. The north east Allen has new walking trails, parks, and shopping centers which is very convenient.

All the students in Allen go to 1 high school so they would basically get the same opportunity for classes and high school experience.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:58 AM

419 posts, read 553,279 times
You can find drugs anywhere if you look but no gangs in Allen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas